Become a Patron!

New to VU. Need help with a mod

emt_horton88

Member For 2 Years
Currently using a Vaporesso Revenger mod. Absolutely love it and the cascade tank. However, when I’m at home I want to drip and my Revenger just won’t work. No matter what Clapton coils I’m throwing in to my Bonza RDA the Revenger just doesn’t have enough umph behind it to heat the coils, especially without making the mod super hot and impossible to use. Looking for a good, sturdy regulated mod with enough power to safely run Clapton’s in my Bonza or pyramid RDA. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Strange that the revenger doesn’t give you enough power. What is your coil resistance and how many watts are you running it at ?

emt_horton88

Member For 2 Years
Strange that the revenger doesn’t give you enough power. What is your coil resistance and how many watts are you running it at ?

So I tried several kinds of Clapton’s. All of them were supposed to be reading between .30 and .35 ohms. One set was reading at .20 and took forever to ramp up and made my mod super hot. Which I thought was weird honesty because my cascade tanks current set up is reading .15 and it has no problem with it. Ramp up time for that specific set in my mod was like 7 to 8 seconds and the revenger cuts off at 10 seconds. Essentially any set I was putting in my mod, was taking anywhere from 6-8 seconds to ramp up and made the mod so hot that I was afraid to keep firing it. I was running it between 40-50 watts just trying to find a sweet spot for it because that’s what the person at the shop told us to run them at. And it wasn’t just my Bonza it was doing it on, it also did the same thing in my girl friends pyramid. It’s almost like the mod wasn’t reading the ohms right

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I tried several kinds of Clapton’s. All of them were supposed to be reading between .30 and .35 ohms. One set was reading at .20 and took forever to ramp up and made my mod super hot. Which I thought was weird honesty because my cascade tanks current set up is reading .15 and it has no problem with it. Ramp up time for that specific set in my mod was like 7 to 8 seconds and the revenger cuts off at 10 seconds. Essentially any set I was putting in my mod, was taking anywhere from 6-8 seconds to ramp up and made the mod so hot that I was afraid to keep firing it. I was running it between 40-50 watts just trying to find a sweet spot for it because that’s what the person at the shop told us to run them at. And it wasn’t just my Bonza it was doing it on, it also did the same thing in my girl friends pyramid. It’s almost like the mod wasn’t reading the ohms right
Interesting.

Well if I was in the market for a dual 18650, I'd get one of these..

https://www.elementvape.com/squid-industries-double-barrel-2-1-150w-box-mod

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

That sounds like you may have a coil problem, 7 seconds to get hot enough to vape is way too long, and will make any mod get hot. You may have some tiny wire stuck somewhere causing a short, which kills efficiency of power to coil. Pictures of your build please, and what gauges and metal type of wire :D You may not need a new mod after all!

I think there is either a bit of wire floating around, or your coils are touching the RDA's cap, that will lower resistance quite a bit, and also cause the RDA (and eventually mod) to get way hot

One trick I learned to detect shorts (besides wrong resistance) is if you hear a strange sound the moment you hit the fire button, like a hiss, squeal, whistle, etc, before your coils start vaporizing liquid- that sound indicates metal is getting hot in one spot too fast, a short

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
a beefy .20 ohm coil would have horrible ramp up at 40-50 watts. I generally run my .20 ohm fused claptons around 80-90 watts. This, of course, depends on the mass of the coil.

Also, in my experience, firing a battery for long periods of time does make it hotter than if you just turned up the wattage and only hit it for about 3-4 seconds.

So sounds like your coils just need more wattage. My gf has a revenger and i've never had issues like that, but getting a new mod is always fun too!

edit: although, i dont think a new mod will solve your problem if you still use the same coils.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yeah, you might just need to up the wattage too, and your Revenger can do that. I missed the part where you said 40-50 watts, just keep raising it, an RDA ought to be able to run coils like that at like... well, HIGHER lol

emt_horton88

Member For 2 Years
So that’s the build and the ohm reading

Attachments

• A2A67A58-8C26-4FA6-B868-464EEF30C52E.jpeg
    A2A67A58-8C26-4FA6-B868-464EEF30C52E.jpeg
    894.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 5D0D11EE-EF4A-4297-BD3D-3BF33B2DA326.jpeg
    5D0D11EE-EF4A-4297-BD3D-3BF33B2DA326.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yep, just needed more power. One aspect to look at when mod shopping is the max voltage output. The revenger has 9V Max output which is more than enough to heat those coils.

Those who bought the ijoy capo learned this the hard way.

Last edited:

emt_horton88

Member For 2 Years
Agreed. One shop I frequent has rather knowledgeable staff but I've been to other shops where my newbie ass was educating them. Pretty sad, lol.

A lot of places around here I’ve seen are fairly behind the times when it comes to mods and even tanks. And I had one spot I went to religiously that were ridiculously knowledgeable, and after some issues with them I vowed never to go back. Now I’m paying for it lol

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A lot of places around here I’ve seen are fairly behind the times when it comes to mods and even tanks. And I had one spot I went to religiously that were ridiculously knowledgeable, and after some issues with them I vowed never to go back. Now I’m paying for it lol
You did the right thing joining this forum. So many knowledgeable people around here it's great. Doubt you'll need that shop now. :D

The only shop I go to has one of the smallest selections of juice around but their staff knows their shit and are a blast to talk shop with. They also have taste testers for customers to try juices before they buy which is a huge plus for me. Also have a 42" TV behind the counter and always have reviewers and build tutorials playing on it, sometimes YouTube for music.

VU Sponsors