Become a Patron!

new to vaping, and issue with first squonk

started vaping about 5 months ago and used only sub ohm. last weekend bought a dead rabbit and jesus loved it. since im new tro RDAs i decided to be lazy and get a squonk mod (vandy vapes pulse by tony B)... this is where i had issues.

so i popped in the squonk pin on my dead rabbit, made sure it wasnt put in wrong. popped in new cotton, tossed in fully charged EBAT battery (20700 , 3000 mAh, 40A @3.7V). filled my squonh bottle with my fav juice, and the mod preset my W to 80, i hit it, way too hot....like the RDA got soo hot after 2 puffs my lips still hurt a day later... change the Watts around until it doesnt burn the mouth piece, and got it down to 60W but its a light cloud/flavor production. bumping the power back up it gets soo hot after drawing it that it will burn.... confused....

the coils im using are a prebuilt set i got from coilology (N80,ID is 3,) tried 3 different coils, and about 6 rewickings incase i put too much or too little, tried different hights of of the coil (from almost touching posts to raised (airholes go under coil). the 3 coils i tried were all in dual coil and resistances were .36, .32 and .30

a coworker said its just not heating fast enough on the squonk mod (tried on a smok mag and a smok alien and got no check atomizer errors. heats perfect on a smok mod)

also rechecked mounting screws.

any help would be great, attached is pics incase needed D:

Attachments

• IMG_20180523_124023.jpg
    IMG_20180523_124023.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20180523_124028.jpg
    IMG_20180523_124028.jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20180523_124124.jpg
    IMG_20180523_124124.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20180523_124141.jpg
    IMG_20180523_124141.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20180523_124147.jpg
    IMG_20180523_124147.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 17

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Thats a hell of a lot of coil mass you are trying to heat quickly, with a single 18650 rewrapped battery. If you reduced the coil mass tremendously you would get a better ramp and better vape experience. Would also be good to get some different batteries. You can search around here for recommended batteries.

Welcome to VU by the way.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
For a single 18650 Squonk box I prefer to stick with a single coil build around 0.15-0.17 ohm. I use stainless steel 30g tricore Clapton wrapped with 40g ss.
It’s usually a 5/6 wrap around a 3mm bit.
On the very rare occasions that I use a dual coil, I use the same wire but wrap it around a 2.5 mm bit and build it to around a 0.12 ohm.

Thats a hell of a lot of coil mass you are trying to heat quickly, with a single 18650 rewrapped battery. If you reduced the coil mass tremendously you would get a better ramp and better vape experience. Would also be good to get some different batteries. You can search around here for recommended batteries.

Welcome to VU by the way.
thanks for the reply, im using the recommended 20700 batterys for the mod. the coilology pack i got has .3 ohm+ coils, the mod specs i read said .3 is the max it can handle. hence why i went dual coil. think i should just pick up a spool of wire and try it that way? if so any recommendations?

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
thanks for the reply, im using the recommended 20700 batterys for the mod. the coilology pack i got has .3 ohm+ coils, the mod specs i read said .3 is the max it can handle. hence why i went dual coil. think i should just pick up a spool of wire and try it that way? if so any recommendations?

My apologies. I thought it said 18650. Even still thats a lot of coil to move for a single battery. The more wire you have to heat the longer it takes to heat and the shorter your battery run time is. What kind of vape do you like? You flavor or clouds, cool or warm? This would make it easier for a coil recommendation.

My apologies. I thought it said 18650. Even still thats a lot of coil to move for a single battery. The more wire you have to heat the longer it takes to heat and the shorter your battery run time is. What kind of vape do you like? You flavor or clouds, cool or warm? This would make it easier for a coil recommendation.
you're good dude. im a mix of mad cloud with flavor, and i prefer cooler vape. just nervous about wrapping my coils, new to it(just like making my own juice, still a noob)

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
you're good dude. im a mix of mad cloud with flavor, and i prefer cooler vape. just nervous about wrapping my coils, new to it(just like making my own juice, still a noob)

No harm in caution and a strong desire to not die. Your preference is not far off from mine. If you do not have an aversion to NI80 it can be your best friend. 22-24g would do you right.

http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html?mat=n80&s=dp&r=0.3&awg=24&id=3&ll=2

http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html?mat=n80&s=dp&r=0.3&awg=22&id=3&ll=2

Both of these are good for clouds and flavor and they will heat and cool much faster keeping your atty from getting too hot unless you chain vape constantly.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

The mod can probably go up to 3 ohm, not point-3

Your build is around 0.17 ohms if each coil is 0.34 ohms and you are using two

Are you getting a dry hit, or is it taking too long for your coils to produce vapor to begin with? 80 watts should be enough to get that build hot enough to vape, but if your battery is crappy, your mod won't fire at a full 80 watts for more than a few puffs - then your dead rabbit and mod will start to get hot because of how long it takes to get the coils hot enough to vape

You might need smaller coils to let more airflow in - you could pull your coils tight after installing them with a 2.5mm driver, then reinstall (clip the leads again)

Are you taking very slow puffs? Coils like that need air to Move, quickly, so a stronger inhale may help keep it from being too hot

The mod can probably
go up to 3 ohm, not point-3

Your build is around 0.17 ohms if each coil is 0.34 ohms and you are using two

Are you getting a dry hit, or is it taking too long for your coils to produce vapor to begin with? 80 watts should be enough to get that build hot enough to vape, but if your battery is crappy, your mod won't fire at a full 80 watts for more than a few puffs - then your dead rabbit and mod will start to get hot because of how long it takes to get the coils hot enough to vape

You might need smaller coils to let more airflow in - you could pull your coils tight after installing them with a 2.5mm driver, then reinstall (clip the leads again)

Are you taking very slow puffs? Coils like that need air to Move, quickly, so a stronger inhale may help keep it from being too hot
that would make sense on the .3, like i said im still new to RDAs /squonks, and i figured they didnt put the decimal before the 3. also when i pull , i take a light inhale, fire hit harder till i let go and exhale. think i should 1 coil it with the same prebuilts and give that a try?

and i wasnt getting dry hits, just very little vapor. my buddy even said "it feels too soft, and i cant taste it" thought it was me since it was my all day vape juice

Last edited:
No harm in caution and a strong desire to not die. Your preference is not far off from mine. If you do not have an aversion to NI80 it can be your best friend. 22-24g would do you right.

http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html?mat=n80&s=dp&r=0.3&awg=24&id=3&ll=2

http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html?mat=n80&s=dp&r=0.3&awg=22&id=3&ll=2

Both of these are good for clouds and flavor and they will heat and cool much faster keeping your atty from getting too hot unless you chain vape constantly.
thanks dude ! i think the .644 wouldnt work? my battery is at 3.7 V, wouldnt that be bad? also mod tops off at 80W

the other one would and should work, just need to pick up wire, sould i get prebraided or just solid wire?

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
that would make sense on the .3, like i said im still new to RDAs /squonks, and i figured they didnt put the decimal before the 3. also when i pull , i take a light inhale, fire hit harder till i let go and exhale. think i should 1 coil it with the same prebuilts and give that a try?

and i wasnt getting dry hits, just very little vapor. my buddy even said "it feels too soft, and i cant taste it" thought it was me since it was my all day vape juice

Yeah, trying just one coil is a good place to start

thanks dude ! i think the .644 wouldnt work? my battery is at 3.7 V, wouldnt that be bad? also mod tops off at 80W

the other one would and should work, just need to pick up wire, sould i get prebraided or just solid wire?

Batteries we use are 3.7 Nominal Voltage, that just means they operate "somewhere around there" under typical circumstances - but a regulated mod like yours can choose how much voltage is pulled from the battery, even 2 volts, or 5 volts (but 5 volts will drain your battery very fast)

Batteries start at 4.2 volts fully charged and go down to 3.2 or so before they need to be charged, so nominal voltage of 3.7 is just in the middle of that...make sense?

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT

You can change the voltage to match your battery. My brain is wired for 18650.

Yeah, trying just one coil is a good place to start

Batteries we use are 3.7 Nominal Voltage, that just means they operate "somewhere around there" under typical circumstances - but a regulated mod like yours can choose how much voltage is pulled from the battery, even 2 volts, or 5 volts (but 5 volts will drain your battery very fast)

Batteries start at 4.2 volts fully charged and go down to 3.2 or so before they need to be charged, so nominal voltage of 3.7 is just in the middle of that...make sense?
dropped it on my squonk, and it auto went to 42 W, tried it, still low flavor and its still kinda soft :/

Hype

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No Haterade here , i know from my experience that some rabbits had problems with their pins not protruding far out enough , a small o ring solves the issue . Hope this helps .

Last edited:

VU Sponsors