Become a Patron!

New to the Scene

Midnightar

Member For 1 Year
Hey all :)

After Vaping for the past 7 yrs... finally took the plunge into DIY a couple days ago and found you guys as well. After a little research I took the advice and found a single recipe online I thought suited my tastes and got the flavors I needed for that one recipe. Whipped up my first batch last night and will do my first test today with follow up tests every 7 days for 3 weeks to see how I like it with ageing.

I do have a few questions maybe you guys could point me in the right direction though.

First... lemon juice as a flavor enhancer. What i've been able to gather so far is its good in small amounts 1-2%. What brands are safe (i.e. is the store bought ReaLemon good or should i go Organic) and can you use lemon juice in custard/cream type juices?

Second is could you guys point me to a good spot that offers a real good starter flavor pack that is not too expensive or even free if that exists. Just something to taste test and get the ball rolling.

Appreciate any advice you guys and gals can give ;)

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Welcome to VU.
If you want to try real lemon juice you can, start at .5%. It fades quickly and coils aren't fond of it. If you order from ECX their Flavor Express lemon is good and reportedly has the best staying power. Jungle flavors lemon and juicy lemon are working well for me For a snv (shake and vape) I prefer FA lemon sicily, it does fade pretty quickly so I only mix a 15ml. I don't know of any free sample specials right now. Might look at Bull City Flavors recipe bundles. They are a great company many of us use.
https://www.bullcityflavors.com/community-recipe-packs/ VU6 will give you 6% off your order.

Midnightar

Member For 1 Year
Welcome to VU.
If you want to try real lemon juice you can, start at .5%. It fades quickly and coils aren't fond of it. If you order from ECX their Flavor Express lemon is good and reportedly has the best staying power. Jungle flavors lemon and juicy lemon are working well for me For a snv (shake and vape) I prefer FA lemon sicily, it does fade pretty quickly so I only mix a 15ml. I don't know of any free sample specials right now. Might look at Bull City Flavors recipe bundles. They are a great company many of us use.
https://www.bullcityflavors.com/community-recipe-packs/ VU6 will give you 6% off your order.
Thanks for the info Letitia.

I'm looking at lemon juice strictly to make all the flavors in my recipe pop... not necessarily to have a taste of lemon in there. Lemon Juice will work in this way no? And if so... will it spoil custard type recipes? If Lemon Juice isnt gonna work this way... Ive also read vinegar in small amounts is good for flavor pop enhancing. Any advice on vinegar as well?

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team

I'm looking at lemon juice strictly to make all the flavors in my recipe pop... not necessarily to have a taste of lemon in there. Lemon Juice will work in this way no? And if so... will it spoil custard type recipes? If Lemon Juice isnt gonna work this way... Ive also read vinegar in small amounts is good for flavor pop enhancing. Any advice on vinegar as well?
I'd stick with apple cider vinegar. If you are just looking for pop I would pull 5ml of juice off and just add a couple of drops to start. Just increase to taste. I've found TFA dragon fruit useful to adding a pop to fruits. I seldom use custards so can't help there.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile

White vinegar pops fruits but only certain ones and you have to make sure its distilled white Vinegar no more than 5% acidity. Apple cider vinegar is the same or close to what brands sell as smooth or wizard. It will do great in balancing out high notes or flavors that are way out of balance in a mix, putting it all back to a even balance, however if not careful it can mute flavors pretty quick. But you would get the same result with creams if you just want to take out sharper edges etc. Saline does enhance certain flavors as well, so does sweetener etc.

You're a beginner, get used to mixing and your flavors first, go on the journey of finding recipes you like or make your own. You'll be busy just doing that, later on you can play with these enhancers, because that's what it is, a new mixer will gain nothing from that since it won't help with beginner errors and bad recipes you'll end up making quite a few off.

Midnightar

Member For 1 Year
Tip taken eStorm... ill shelf the advanced stuff for now haha. The reason I was looking into it was because the first batch I made was pretty harsh compared to what I am used to... but I found my mistake in that one and my next one came out smoother and I quickly learned how big an impact even 24hrs of steep can have on end result.

VU Sponsors