Become a Patron!

New to the game, I want to quit smoking.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Hey, new to this vaping stuff and I don't know much outside of I hear that Vaporfi is not someone I want to buy from haha. I was looking at this. http://www.eleafworld.com/istick-pico-kit/

Is this a good start, and would there be anything else I needed to get started?

Hiya, and welcome to Vu!

That would probably be a good starter - you will need an 18650 battery (use only authentic LG, Panasonic, Samsung or Sony batteries for your safety) and make sure you buy additional coils for the Melo tank - coils need to be changed periodically.

It would also be a good idea to get an auxiliary charger for the battery. While you can charge the battery while it is inside the mod, it is hard on the battery and will last longer and charge better on its own charger.

Best of luck!

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey, new to this vaping stuff and I don't know much outside of I hear that Vaporfi is not someone I want to buy from haha. I was looking at this. http://www.eleafworld.com/istick-pico-kit/

Is this a good start, and would there be anything else I needed to get started?

Welcome to VU!
That is a very good starter kit. I own three.

Here are some additional options that make good starter kits as well.
ELEAF™ ISMOKA ISTICK TC 60W TEMP CONTROL BOX MOD FULL KIT
KANGER™ TOPBOX MINI TC KIT

All will require the purchase of an 18650 battery. I would recommend the Samsung 30Q for mAh (run time) and AMP limit (20A battery)

Sometimes, putting together a piece by piece "kit" is also an option. You may want to have a MOD with an integrated battery because you don't want to fuss with a removable one. Sometimes you want a different style of tank (atomizer). There are options all around.

How frequently do you smoke? Are a 1, 2, 3 pack a day (PAD) smoker? or an "occasional" smoker?

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I smoke about 20-25 cigarettes a day.

Have you ever vaped before?

I smoked 2.5 whole packs everyday for 37 years, but haven't had a single one in over a year now, thanks to vaping.

It is very possible to quit smoking with vaping, but it takes persistence to learn how to vape, lol

deadmau5whomp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Welcome to VU!
That is a very good starter kit. I own three.

Here are some additional options that make good starter kits as well.
ELEAF™ ISMOKA ISTICK TC 60W TEMP CONTROL BOX MOD FULL KIT
KANGER™ TOPBOX MINI TC KIT

All will require the purchase of an 18650 battery. I would recommend the Samsung 30Q for mAh (run time) and AMP limit (20A battery)

Sometimes, putting together a piece by piece "kit" is also an option. You may want to have a MOD with an integrated battery because you don't want to fuss with a removable one. Sometimes you want a different style of tank (atomizer). There are options all around.

How frequently do you smoke? Are a 1, 2, 3 pack a day (PAD) smoker? or an "occasional" smoker?

Out of those 3 which would be the best. I don't really mind having a removable battery to start with, but i get what you are saying, i might want too have an integrated one down the road. I am looking at this Pico Mega now, i like the bigger tank.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Your just a bit under where I was when I quit smoking. I was at 1.5 PAD

I started with the Eleaf iStick 40TC because it had an integrated battery.
https://www.vapeshop.com/eleaf-istick-40w-tc-battery/

I then had the Kangertech TopTank Nano and Mini because I liked the 0.5Ω > 1.5Ω coil options and the MTL vape style (very like a cig)
https://www.vapeshop.com/kanger-toptank-mini/
https://www.vapeshop.com/kanger-ssocc-coils/

Yes, I spend a bit more on this kit piecing it together, but it was worth it to me after researching the options on the market.

However, I can say that I have saved A LOT MORE on quitting the stinkies and it was well worth the investment. I spend MUCH more $$$ trying to quit vs actually quitting two years before this purchase.

Within a month, I upgraded to the PICO Kit, and have just gone up from there to the SMOK Alien Kit ... and further...........
And have still saved money and my life / health.

deadmau5whomp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Have you ever vaped before?

I smoked 2.5 whole packs everyday for 37 years, but haven't had a single one in over a year now, thanks to vaping.

It is very possible to quit smoking with vaping, but it takes persistence to learn how to vape, lol
I have taken hits off of some of my friends before but never my own, this is my first one. Also, congratulations on kicking the habit :)

deadmau5whomp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

deadmau5whomp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
so to be clear, i can buy the pico mod box without the mini and just buy the regular melo 3 with the bigger tank correct? i think i would rather do that and pair them with the aspire coils
Yes

regular melo 3
May be hard to come by --- When I was looking for the larger 4ml Melo 3 no one ever had it in stock.

And if you are going to do it that way, why not just purchase a better tank?
https://www.vapordna.com/Aspire-Atlantis-EVO-Sub-Ohm-Tank-p/atlevo.htm
https://vapenw.com/aspire-cleito-tank

IMO there are much better tanks over the Melo 3
I loved my Aspire Triton and Atlantis tanks. I never purchased the Evo or the Cleito tanks because by that time I was into building my own coils and buying RTA / RDA style setups. --- And I got sick of spending money on premade coils that I was just throwing away.

With the Cleito tank, I know there is a good RTA coil head that will let you start "stepping" into the rebuilding world of this if you want to go that far. That is why I ended up purchasing the Kanger Toptank Mini --- it came with an RTA coil. :D My very first "RTA"

deadmau5whomp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes

May be hard to come by --- When I was looking for the larger 4ml Melo 3 no one ever had it in stock.

And if you are going to do it that way, why not just purchase a better tank?
https://www.vapordna.com/Aspire-Atlantis-EVO-Sub-Ohm-Tank-p/atlevo.htm
https://vapenw.com/aspire-cleito-tank

IMO there are much better tanks over the Melo 3
I loved my Aspire Triton and Atlantis tanks. I never purchased the Evo or the Cleito tanks because by that time I was into building my own coils and buying RTA / RDA style setups. --- And I got sick of spending money on premade coils that I was just throwing away.

With the Cleito tank, I know there is a good RTA coil head that will let you start "stepping" into the rebuilding world of this if you want to go that far. That is why I ended up purchasing the Kanger Toptank Mini --- it came with an RTA coil. :D My very first "RTA"
I do like that Atlantis EVO one.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
think i am gonna go with the pico device with the evo tank and coils. i will try the samsung 30q batteries, how long does a coil usually last?
That PICO mod will last you a while. I "could" still be using mine without any problems as I rarely go above 60W.

how long does a coil usually last
That all depends on the juice you get. Some juices will gunk up the coils quickly. Some will not. Sugary juices gunk them up fast.

You can't go wrong with the Samsung 30Q Batteries. Get them from a reputable vendor so you know you are getting authentic batteries. (see signature below). Grab a 2 bay charger and two batteries. You will glad you did.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
TheSauceLA is running a juice sale for 40% off until tomorrow. Coupon Code: BeMine -- Check them out.

A new vendor that I literally just ordered from tonight (so I have not input/review on them yet) is vapershero.com -- They became a member here on VU and chimed into my thread about them. They have a standing discount code VU15 for VU members -- 15% off.

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/vapors-hero.305041/

deadmau5whomp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
TheSauceLA is running a juice sale for 40% off until tomorrow. Coupon Code: BeMine -- Check them out.

A new vendor that I literally just ordered from tonight (so I have not input/review on them yet) is vapershero.com -- They became a member here on VU and chimed into my thread about them. They have a standing discount code VU15 for VU members -- 15% off.

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/vapors-hero.305041/
Well i ordered it all! My friend gave me some juice from VapeWild? it is 50/50? i am reading up on it now, but i will check into these sites you just mentioned for sure thank you sir!

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
50/50 is a good mix. What NIC level? With that tank you will probably want 6mg or less

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
With a sub ohm tank it will give you more vapor production that an MTL tank, thereby actually giving you more NIC delivery. You may get some heavy throat hit from 12mg or a NIC high quickly. You can dilute it down with the same juice at 0mg.

deadmau5whomp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
With a sub ohm tank it will give you more vapor production that an MTL tank, thereby actually giving you more NIC delivery. You may get some heavy throat hit from 12mg or a NIC high quickly. You can dilute it down with the same juice at 0mg.

ah i see i see, i need some good fruity flavors, i am more of a fruit person haha

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
got any recommendations on juice? also, is it a big switch from cigarettes, dedication right, stay the course? haha

I DIY most of my juice -

How juice tastes, the nic level you like, pg/vg levels, it is so subjective to the individual that I usually shy away from making recommendations.

What I would do is get a decent amount of something you tasted from a friend and know you like, then try smaller amounts of other stuff till you find your personal favorites.

Also, don't be surprised if your "taste" changes as you stop with the cigarettes and your taste buds come back to life.

A lot of folks, when they first take up vaping, like the tobacco flavors - but even those are all over the place.

You may want to look into juices called NETS, which stands for Naturally Extracted Tobacco. It is juice made from tobacco leafs. I wish I had known about NETS earlier in my vaping journey - I believe NETS would have helped me completely quit smoking a lot faster as the taste is so much like a cigarette.

If you ever become interested in NETS, I do have a recommendation :)

Also other options if you find you like vaping, but just can't stop having a few smokes here and there

deadmau5whomp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I DIY most of my juice -

How juice tastes, the nic level you like, pg/vg levels, it is so subjective to the individual that I usually shy away from making recommendations.

What I would do is get a decent amount of something you tasted from a friend and know you like, then try smaller amounts of other stuff till you find your personal favorites.

Also, don't be surprised if your "taste" changes as you stop with the cigarettes and your taste buds come back to life.

A lot of folks, when they first take up vaping, like the tobacco flavors - but even those are all over the place.

You may want to look into juices called NETS, which stands for Naturally Extracted Tobacco. It is juice made from tobacco leafs. I wish I had known about NETS earlier in my vaping journey - I believe NETS would have helped me completely quit smoking a lot faster as the taste is so much like a cigarette.

If you ever become interested in NETS, I do have a recommendation :)

Also other options if you find you like vaping, but just can't stop having a few smokes here and there
i have tried a tobacco one before, wasn't a fan. lol i think i will be able to stay away from cigarettes, well hopefully anyway, i am tired of spending so much money on them, they just keep going up. hopefully vaping is cheaper.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I never liked the tobacco ones either - but I vaped a lot of cheap menthol flavored stuff for a couple of years when I dual used

I saved a couple thousand (smokes were about $90 a carton when I started vaping) the first two years.

Now I buy a lot of vape stuff, but it's become a very serious hobby and I just get whatever I want if I can afford it, lol

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
i have tried a tobacco one before, wasn't a fan. lol i think i will be able to stay away from cigarettes, well hopefully anyway, i am tired of spending so much money on them, they just keep going up. hopefully vaping is cheaper.
Sorry -- stepped away for a bit to spend time with the family.

Some of use continued to smoke stinkies while vaping. Some had the will power to trash them the day they started vaping.
I, was a continuing smoker for two-three weeks after starting to vape. About week #2 the taste of the cigs was horrible and I just started leaving the pack in my car while at work, with the mental note that "if I need one I can just go get one". It got to the point that I just didn't need them anymore.

deadmau5whomp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sorry -- stepped away for a bit to spend time with the family.

Some of use continued to smoke stinkies while vaping. Some had the will power to trash them the day they started vaping.
I, was a continuing smoker for two-three weeks after starting to vape. About week #2 the taste of the cigs was horrible and I just started leaving the pack in my car while at work, with the mental note that "if I need one I can just go get one". It got to the point that I just didn't need them anymore.
no worries man and i am gonna try and just quit them as soon as i get this in the mail but i suppose it could be hard the first couple weeks like you said.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My wife and I started vaping the exact same day. My last cig was on 10/14/2016. She is still smoking a SINGLE stinkie a day. That to me is 100% progress and I have no issue with her doing that. She will get there.

15288.png

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The ability to help other quit smoking here on VU, the smokers I talk to around me, and that little banner remind me every day what I've been able to accomplished. I'm pleased with my progress and ability to quit.

deadmau5whomp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The ability to help other quit smoking here on VU, the smokers I talk to around me, and that little banner remind me every day what I've been able to accomplished. I'm pleased with my progress and ability to quit.
yes you have accomplished a lot, you and your wife, cigarettes are super addicting. i have a lot of downtime at my job which leads to more cigarettes, so i need to do something and figured i might as well try this. the initial investment seems to be worth it.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

yes you have accomplished a lot, you and your wife, cigarettes are super addicting. i have a lot of downtime at my job which leads to more cigarettes, so i need to do something and figured i might as well try this. the initial investment seems to be worth it.

Amen to that - vaping changed my life for the better in so many ways and helping others be successful is one of the most gratifying parts

deadmau5whomp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
These cells are only manufactured and sold for the intended use with proper protection circuitry within system integrations or battery packs with a BMS (battery management system) or PCB (circuit board/module). DO NOT USE THIS BATTERY WITH AN E-CIGARETTE, VAPORIZER, OR SIMILAR PRODUCT AS IT CAN BE DANGEROUS AND MAY CAUSE A FIRE OR EXPLOSION WHICH CAN RESULT IN PERSONAL INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE

should i be worried lol, that is the disclaimer with those samsung batteries.

deadmau5whomp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Amen to that - vaping changed my life for the better in so many ways and helping others be successful is one of the most gratifying parts
well maybe you guys have just helped me and can continue too, my significant other, she will bring me home a pack even though i say i am trying to quit haha, i guess it is just a habit for her. i told her to quit.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
These cells are only manufactured and sold for the intended use with proper protection circuitry within system integrations or battery packs with a BMS (battery management system) or PCB (circuit board/module). DO NOT USE THIS BATTERY WITH AN E-CIGARETTE, VAPORIZER, OR SIMILAR PRODUCT AS IT CAN BE DANGEROUS AND MAY CAUSE A FIRE OR EXPLOSION WHICH CAN RESULT IN PERSONAL INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE

should i be worried lol, that is the disclaimer with those samsung batteries.

It is their disclaimer, because none of the batteries on the market are actually intended to be used with ecigs or mods

This is especially true of mech mods and hybrid mechs. Those are the ones you mostly see in the news :eek:

VU Sponsors