Become a Patron!

New to Squonking. What do I need to know?

FoxVapor

Just a baby in the Vape Game
VU Donator
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I did some searching and couldn't find much on 'being new to squonk boxes' so I figured I'd make a thread that hopefully a lot of people can benefit from.

I am totally knew to squonking, I understand the general idea of how these boxes work for the most part but I know they require a little more attention to detail and care than say my Smoant Charon TS.

So I was hoping some experienced squonkers could give me some pointers cause I'd like to pick up a squonk box. @JuicyLucy gave me some insight on which box to get for a cheap price, the Geekvape Gbox 200.

Hope this isn't a repeat thread

-FV

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I did some searching and couldn't find much on 'being new to squonk boxes' so I figured I'd make a thread that hopefully a lot of people can benefit from.

I am totally knew to squonking, I understand the general idea of how these boxes work for the most part but I know they require a little more attention to detail and care than say my Smoant Charon TS.

So I was hoping some experienced squonkers could give me some pointers cause I'd like to pick up a squonk box. @JuicyLucy gave me some insight on which box to get for a cheap price, the Geekvape Gbox 200.

Hope this isn't a repeat thread

-FV

The squonking world is every expanding right now and new stuff is coming out all the time

Right now, the Gbox is your best bet for a double-battery regulated mod that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, lol

There are many, many others out there in all price ranges $12 - over grand, lol

The attie is as important as the mod - if not more so - and there are many great choices for every vape style

You might want to look in the Squonkers are Bonkers thread - all levels of squonkers (or aspiring squonkers) welcome

FoxVapor

VU Donator
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The squonking world is every expanding right now and new stuff is coming out all the time

Right now, the Gbox is your best bet for a double-battery regulated mod that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, lol

There are many, many others out there in all price ranges $12 - over grand, lol

The attie is as important as the mod - if not more so - and there are many great choices for every vape style

You might want to look in the Squonkers are Bonkers thread - all levels of squonkers (or aspiring squonkers) welcome

thank you!! im gonna search through that thread for more info on the subject

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
When you say they require a little more attention to detail fox what do you mean? What is it you are after for instance you can go

regulated, mechanical, probably even some unregulated out there as well

single battery, dual battery hell even triple battery is out there

Would you prefer to use your thumb or finger squonk?

Do you want something light or more weighty

Do you use any other mode outside of wattage?

Are there any things you particularly want to avoid with a squonk design

Etc etc think it would help to expand a little what you wanted to know

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Something to know imho, squonking and using a decent RDA will spoil you for much of any other kind of vaping. You need to try various RDA to find what you specifically are going to like. Once you find it you can stick with it and remain open to trying others, or not. There's a large field of shiny for squonking.

I like my Gorge topping a mechanical CopperVape. It does real well for me. There's also the NaRDA clones that do well. I'm finding that single coil RDA do well in general and with a bit of tweaking you can make a version of Heaven with your clouds. Single coil builds also lean toward being the bomb for flavor chasing as well.

If in doubt listen to @JuicyLucy, @Train . They usually steer us all back to right. :)

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Yeah train and Lucy especially gave me solid advice when I started squonking can’t go wrong with what they say :)

Gorge is a great atty really enjoy using it I thank train for that suggestion

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Squonking will spoil you big time. I bought a VT inbox liked it so much I got another one. I have a Dead Rabbit on one and a Pulse 22 on the other and there the first mods I grab in the morning. All the flavor of dripping without dripping. If you like mechanical mods the Pulse BF is only $30 at eciggity. A good way to get your feet wet cheaply.

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Open you wallet. But in all seriousness, it may take a device or two before you find what works well for you. I'm still a babe in the squonking woods. So far my favorites are the Pico squeeze with Wasp nano and VT Inbox with the Pulso 22. Single coil seems to be my goto.

FoxVapor

VU Donator
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When you say they require a little more attention to detail fox what do you mean? What is it you are after for instance you can go

regulated, mechanical, probably even some unregulated out there as well

single battery, dual battery hell even triple battery is out there

Would you prefer to use your thumb or finger squonk?

Do you want something light or more weighty

Do you use any other mode outside of wattage?

Are there any things you particularly want to avoid with a squonk design

Etc etc think it would help to expand a little what you wanted to know

dual batter, thumb squonk, weighty for sure.

i use wattage mode and id like to to be a regulated box. for the most part id like to avoid getting a box that has a problem with explosions.

Something to know imho, squonking and using a decent RDA will spoil you for much of any other kind of vaping. You need to try various RDA to find what you specifically are going to like. Once you find it you can stick with it and remain open to trying others, or not. There's a large field of shiny for squonking.

I like my Gorge topping a mechanical CopperVape. It does real well for me. There's also the NaRDA clones that do well. I'm finding that single coil RDA do well in general and with a bit of tweaking you can make a version of Heaven with your clouds. Single coil builds also lean toward being the bomb for flavor chasing as well.

If in doubt listen to @JuicyLucy, @Train . They usually steer us all back to right. :)

so it sound like I should get a few more RDAs and mod boxes to see what I like that most and what works best for me. I have had my eye on the VooPoo Drag and the Pulse 22.

Open you wallet. But in all seriousness, it may take a device or two before you find what works well for you. I'm still a babe in the squonking woods. So far my favorites are the Pico squeeze with Wasp nano and VT Inbox with the Pulso 22. Single coil seems to be my goto.

Someone recommend the Pico squeeze to me and I took a look at it and liked the design. Ill have to research the VT Inbox cause that seems to be pretty popular

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
dual batter, thumb squonk, weighty for sure.
i use wattage mode and id like to to be a regulated box. for the most part id like to avoid getting a box that has a problem with explosions.

The VT Inbox is what you describe. IT does top at 75w so if you like to vape higher then look at the Gbox. If none of those fit your bill then wait a couple of months. The market is about to explode.

FoxVapor

VU Donator
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The VT Inbox is what you describe. IT does top at 75w so if you like to vape higher then look at the Gbox. If none of those fit your bill then wait a couple of months. The market is about to explode.

I'd like to get something cheap to get my feet wet with so if i can find the VT Inbox for a decent price ill definitely pick one up. I like the way it looks. Hell I might just get the Gbox and VT Inbox lol see which works best for me

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
so it sound like I should get a few more RDAs and mod boxes to see what I like that most and what works best for me. I have had my eye on the VooPoo Drag and the Pulse 22.

That's about nutshell of it. Like I say I'm happy using the mechanical CopperVape and various single coil RDA/ build decks. Don't misunderstand, I still enjoy a good dual coil build once in a while. Got two Velocity 2 clones and the RDA that came with the CV kit, both able to handle dual coils.

Think I am coming down with a strong case of "got-my-kit-itist" & it's the KISS single coil life for me. *chuckles* At least it seems that way until @Train goes and finds something from left field that is all shiny but well beyond my limited and sensical financial reach that makes me bawl. ;) :)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Exploding markets, eh? Good. Maybe we'll begin seeing America start innovating and creating affordable squonk mods, both mechanical & regulated. I'm happy to buy Chinese made mods since they come over as affordable retail. Be even happier to buy similar mods made in America though. So far, not seeing that. If I'm not seeing for my own ignorance I apologize, please do point me toward them. :)

FoxVapor

VU Donator
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's about nutshell of it. Like I say I'm happy using the mechanical CopperVape and various single coil RDA/ build decks. Don't misunderstand, I still enjoy a good dual coil build once in a while. Got two Velocity 2 clones and the RDA that came with the CV kit, both able to handle dual coils.

Think I am coming down with a strong case of "got-my-kit-itist" & it's the KISS single coil life for me. *chuckles* At least it seems that way until @Train goes and finds something from left field that is all shiny but well beyond my limited and sensical financial reach that makes me bawl. ;) :)

Im thinking of doing a single coil build in my Dead Rabbit when the coils need replacing. I was told single coil is better for flavor chasing. I got a coil master to help me with builds until i get it down

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Im thinking of doing a single coil build in my Dead Rabbit when the coils need replacing. I was told single coil is better for flavor chasing. I got a coil master to help me with builds until i get it down

It can be better for flavor chasing if you have a small chamber - may or may not make a difference on a larger chambered attie

Reigle1972

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi FoxVapor
If you use the Dead rabbit 24mm in single coil then you may want to get the Dead rabbit 22mm. I'm currently wanting on mine and don't think you will be disappointed. As for squonking on regulated or unregulated please remember ohm's Law and know which batteries to use and their limits.

FoxVapor

VU Donator
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It can be better for flavor chasing if you have a small chamber - may or may not make a difference on a larger chambered attie

I'm getting my coil master today so I think I might try a single coil build to see what it's like. I also have some flat wire coils rated at .3 ohms that I might give a try today

Hi FoxVapor
If you use the Dead rabbit 24mm in single coil then you may want to get the Dead rabbit 22mm. I'm currently wanting on mine and don't think you will be disappointed. As for squonking on regulated or unregulated please remember ohm's Law and know which batteries to use and their limits.

I have been eyeing the 22mm Dead Rabbit since I saw it on Heathens instagram. I may have to pick one up very soon. I really like that full chrome finish too

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I just got my Dead Rabbit SQ and I love it. I also have the original Dead Rabbit in dual coil mode and both attys are fantastic.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I got a coil master to help me with builds until i get it down

3 mm Inner Diameter and use either 3 or 5 wraps and you ought be good to go in most cases for a coil. I keep hitting around 0.30 Ω fairly consistently using 5 wraps Kanthal A1, 316 SS, NIchrome 80 all at 28 awg. Recently got a Daedalus kit and been getting used to building Claptons with it. There's some re-learning to using it over cranking them by hand, not quite sure what I need to hit that mark consistent for Claptons yet. Won't take me long though.

FoxVapor

VU Donator
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
3 mm Inner Diameter and use either 3 or 5 wraps and you ought be good to go in most cases for a coil. I keep hitting around 0.30 Ω fairly consistently using 5 wraps Kanthal A1, 316 SS, NIchrome 80 all at 28 awg. Recently got a Daedalus kit and been getting used to building Claptons with it. There's some re-learning to using it over cranking them by hand, not quite sure what I need to hit that mark consistent for Claptons yet. Won't take me long though.

Thank you. this is some info I was looking for. I got a Coil Master Skynet Kit so im gonna play with those Tuesday

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I am primarily a genny user , and I own several gennys that are squonkable, which I use in daily rotation...the nextera and the Spider,because I have never liked vaping with cotton....but I'm mostly using conventional gennys.....after having vaped for over 5 years now.....what I can tell you about the people who squonk is..they are I have found the most helpfull, and friendliest group of vapers I have come across in my travels, they are always ready to help out,with information and advice, they always make newcomers feel welcomed and they usually don't get into the pissing contests about cloud size and gear...they are however a singularly homely looking group.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't hate on me just because I'm beeeuuuteeful
now you know I wasn't talking about you.....you are what's keeping the rest of them from sliding into a carnival freakshow. for example
105091.jpg

I Kid...this dude is one of the nicest guys you're ever gonna met in vaping, and one helluva a resource about vaping....the Dean of squonking.

Last edited:

FoxVapor

VU Donator
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
one of my favorite youtube reviewers posted a review on the Gbox and it only made me want it more. I really like the deck and the look of the box overall. I see this being my first squonk box with the new Drop RDA attached to it

VU Sponsors