Become a Patron!

New to rebuilding

Hottvapz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just bought my first rebuildable and was wondering what is the best wicking for flavor.

Zanaspus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You'll get lots of answers, but I like good old CVS sterile cotton. I was a rayon fan for a bit, but I dislike rayon break in taste (though many claim there is none) vs cotton break in taste (It also a harder wick to build). Experiment. I like silica wick but refuse to be extorted, so anymore. I go cheap and serviceable.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Zanaspus is 100% correct.

You are going to get a lot of answers.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Zanaspus is 100% correct.

You are going to get a lot of answers.
I have to agree. :)
Most people are using any kind of cotton over silica, due to better flavor. IMO, cotton "transports" the juice quicker, which is better when sub ohming. Disadvantage, unless you have a device with temp control using according coils, if the cotton wick gets dry, it can char/burn. However, you learn not to do that real quick.

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh lord. you just opened up a can of worms

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Indeed. There are a going to be tons of answers. I rather prefer organic cotton balls (I get mine from RiteAid) to Japanese cotton. It doesn't have much break-in time. It's usually good by the first time I have to re-drip the build. It also seems as though, since it's less dense than Japanese cotton, it wicks more quickly than Japanese cotton making it better for my purposes since I usually like around a 0.3ohm build.

I haven't tried Rayon though. I'm intrigued, but I don't have the budget to get that when I still have 95% of my cotton bag.

TwistedVaper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For flavor, i think the japanese organic cotton pads are the best

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i was using organic unbleached cotton till i tried japanese cotton there is a big difference in wicking now im a jap fan all the way

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll weigh in and vouch for rayon - personally I like it better than organic cotton, though I'm somewhat interested in trying Japanese cotton...maybe in 2-3 years when my rayon box runs out.

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
gonna be the turd in the punchbowl...
readyxwick flexible ceramic...

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Haha Japanese Cotton works well. Haven't gone back since starting it

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have some of that. What's the best way to use it in a Kayfun V4?
if its the 2mm wick , use a 5/64 drill bit shaft (2mm does not contact the wick tight enough)
if its the 3mm wick , use a 7/64 drill bit shaft (3mm does not contact the wick tight enough)
cant speak for continuous shorting micro coils, i use standard wrapped, non touching coils @ 1.3 or so ohms...
do not put too sharp of a bend in the wick going from the coil to the deck, or you will choke the hollow center of the wick...
angle your coil and use the wick in a sweeping "C" and drop onto the deck...
when flavor or vapor production indicates, just rinse and pulse the coil and wick clean...
depending on the sugar content of your eliquid, you could get 2 to 3 months on your wick before it starts to break down (get brittle) and need replacing.
you can also use 2 5/64's to wrap an oblong or oval coil and use 2 pieces of 2mm wick ( its over kill, but, useful for some eliquids and for applying unusually high wattage)...
to thread wick through coil...cut an end at a 45 degree angle (kinda like a syringe point) and gently push and twist wick through coil...
that should cover it...
edit...if you have cotton or silica , "navy lifeguards" navy nest wicking build is a pretty bad ass way to wick a kayfun...

Last edited:

Kay_Fun!

Mad Scientist
VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
if its the 2mm wick , use a 5/64 drill bit shaft (2mm does not contact the wick tight enough)
if its the 3mm wick , use a 7/64 drill bit shaft (3mm does not contact the wick tight enough)
cant speak for continuous shorting micro coils, i use standard wrapped, non touching coils @ 1.3 or so ohms...
do not put too sharp of a bend in the wick going from the coil to the deck, or you will choke the hollow center of the wick...
angle your coil and use the wick in a sweeping "C" and drop onto the deck...
when flavor or vapor production indicates, just rinse and pulse the coil and wick clean...
depending on the sugar content of your eliquid, you could get 2 to 3 months on your wick before it starts to break down (get brittle) and need replacing.
you can also use 2 5/64's to wrap an oblong or oval coil and use 2 pieces of 2mm wick ( its over kill, but, useful for some eliquids and for applying unusually high wattage)...
to thread wick through coil...cut an end at a 45 degree angle (kinda like a syringe point) and gently push and twist wick through coil...
that should cover it...

Thank you! I have both sizes. I just got the Kuro coilers, and was really hoping to use them with this, but I will try the drill bits you suggested.

manson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a Beagle, a Scottie and a Border Collie. My wicking supply is endless. I also like the "cellucotton" from Sally's. 10,000 yards for like a dollar. I'm not worried about wicking material. But keep in mind the atty you choose as well the wicking material will change your flavor from device to device to wicking to wicking. If you do nic, even more so. Some attys are more flavorful then others as well as wicking material in the particular attys. To each his own

Xhalin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Cotton Bacon... I just discovered it and like it better than my Japanese tiles

VU Sponsors