Become a Patron!

New to RBA still

Detroit Primetime

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
hello,
I’m new to the RBA world. When do you know that it’s time to change the actual coils? Not the cotton but the coils themselves. Thank you in advance.

Prime

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I clean and re-use coils when re-wicking can keep the same pair in for a month or more this way

I gauge by how long it goes between re-wicks typically it’s a week for me with a brand new set of coils ....once it starts getting within 5 days i bung in a fresh pair

Stainless steel ...if it looks a bit orangy after cleaning swap em out

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Ususally, after changing my dry burning the coils and changing the cotton, if it still tastes burnt, I change the coils at the next re-wick.

Detroit Primetime

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I clean and re-use coils when re-wicking can keep the same pair in for a month or more this way

I gauge by how long it goes between re-wicks typically it’s a week for me with a brand new set of coils ....once it starts getting within 5 days i bung in a fresh pair

Stainless steel ...if it looks a bit orangy after cleaning swap em out
In your opinion, what’s the best way to clean the coils?
I have read about using standard rubbing alcohol.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
In your opinion, what’s the best way to clean the coils?
I have read about using standard rubbing alcohol.

I remove the old cotton, heat them and quench them under water ...do this a few times in a row removes most of the gunk,

then I heat slighty, stop and scrub them with a wire brush

heat again and quench under water

Works for me (just don’t go crazy heating SS coils warm glow only)

Finlly I heat them a bit to dry the coil off and clean up the deck with a paper towel

Also risnse off and clean the rest of the atty while I’m at it so it’s fresh

Last edited:

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I remove the old cotton, heat them and quench them under water ...do this a few times in a row removes most of the gunk,

Finlly I heat them a bit to dry the coil off and clean up the deck with a paper towel

Probably the best way.. Personally.. I can't be arsed. I just dry burn til the smoke stops, blow off the dust, strum the coil and blow off any extra dust, wick and vape another 2 or 3 days.
So when you are actually buying your coils, Kingpin is the way to go, when you can make your own fused clapton, you tend to get lazy with cleaning, since you can make and install 2 coils from scratch in about 3 to 4 minutes.

(Just wait until i get that wire wrapping tool... LOL Then i can do some fancy stuff. )

Detroit Primetime

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Helluva process sir! Thank you very very much! Guess I need to go find my wire brush.

VU Sponsors