Become a Patron!

New to cotton and subohming.. Dry hits

Idk what I'm doing wrong, no matter what juice I'm using, I can't vape above 20 watts without these awful dry hits. I went all out and bought a vaporshark rdna 40 and a delta 2. Started using juices with cinnamon at 50/50, got dry hits immediately. Thought it was the flavorings, but no.. Still getting dry hits anything above 20 watts with fruit flavorings. This one juice I bought from a local shop was 100% vg and worked great but tasted like crap and gave me heart palpitations. So I thought I'd try max vg in my diy. I only diy flavourart. No matter the ratio, I'm still getting dry hits wtf, I've tried all they way down to 50/50 with various FA flavorings and nothing. I have the subtank now too and its the same unless I'm using the nickel coil heads but those suck too because they spit gunk in your mouth after a couple days and I'm not paying 20 dollars for a five pack when that happens. I tried the rba decks for both the subtank mini and the delta 2.. Nothing. It's just frustrating cuz I see all these dudes vaping at 70 watts with the delta lol, yet I can't even feel comfortable to rely on mine for a satisfying vape at 25 watts. Guess it's just flavourart and anything with cinnamon? I mostly vape my FA diy stuff but tonight I've been trying out carnage and looper by anml in my delta and still wtf wtf. Maybe I don't hit it right.. Draw is all the way open but idk. Any advice, suggestions greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
are you making sure to prime your coils with juice before screwing them in?

edit: the subtank occ heads should handle about 30 watts max and delta 2 about 45 watts max

Forgot to mention, I've been vaping for 4 years so I'm not a newbie, but just new to lung inhales and subohm shit.. I have a general understanding of the latest.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i have no idea man, maybe post a pic of your coil after you get a dry hit? where we can see the cotton etc

i have no idea man, maybe post a pic of your coil after you get a dry hit? where we can see the cotton etc
f1a62d9666a57854802a196427706c8f.jpg

That's the rba deck for the delta 2, I pulled out the cotton a bit to show the result after one of those badass dry hits. Doesn't look too bad considering how bad it tastes

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That's the rba deck for the delta 2, I pulled out the cotton a bit to show the result after one of those badass dry hits. Doesn't look too bad considering how bad it tastes

if your wick is getting that dry with a tank on it, the juice channels are probably blocked. make sure they are completely open so enough juice flows in

yes and make sure your cotton isnt too tight in the coil choking the juice, has to be just right
Well that's fun, what's up with these expensive heads? I really think it might be the way I draw.. Because i went from mouth to lung type stuff (pro tanks, nautilus, etc) to lung inhales. Maybe I'm not forcing enough juice into the cotton. I've been vaping carnage the last hour and seems to be fine on a delta head as long as I'm hitting hard

Reuven Tenam

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Is it possible that the delta 2 is a cheap clone. I am not trying to put you down by saying that, maybe the place your buying it from are not selling the right products. What size is your coil, I use 3/32, I never get dry hits unless I forget to juice. Try dripping It might work better for you.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well that's fun, what's up with these expensive heads? I really think it might be the way I draw.. Because i went from mouth to lung type stuff (pro tanks, nautilus, etc) to lung inhales. Maybe I'm not forcing enough juice into the cotton. I've been vaping carnage the last hour and seems to be fine on a delta head as long as I'm hitting hard

i know this wont help for the task at hand getting your delta to hit right but if you want to sub ohm with a tank why not just get an orchid. youll never have another dry hit in your life when you learn how to wick it. heres a pic of my current setup

IMG_0470.jpg

the wick stays 100% saturated 100% of the time

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just as an fyi, dry hits have nothing to do with flavors at all! Some flavors can burn, but that's not what you're describing. I don't have a Delta, but the subtank rba deck vapes nicely at 30 watts! Sounds like it's the wicking on the Delta causing the problem.

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I dont really have an answer to the og question but I know your pain with the cinnamon flavors.
we have a local blend that tasted great in the test cart so I bought 10 ml and filled up the lemo......one big airy hit and....omg...the burn.....
it's still pretty good In small doses and mixes though.

manson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Whats your nic level ? Some flavors taste great from the cart but taste really different with nic, I do anywhere from 9 to 12 ml of nic and some flavors are kinda funky

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
just from the pic that looks like way to much cotton.. i would try to cut that in half and see what the hits are like. also im assuming its a high quality organic cotton. if not try boiling it you might have chemicals in the cotton burning your throat

manson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would agree with Kingworm. Think..... Q-tip

Thanks everybody for the input. Definitely too much cotton. Saw the rip trippers video on the pancake method, tried it on the delta 2 and juice started leaking like crazy.. I'm done, thing was a pain in the ass to build on anyway. Got the subtank figured out but I don't like the airflow. Bought a couple drippers today, problem solved lol
315a8feb1227ee0bc9fcde90930306c2.jpg

shadows69

Member For 4 Years
I went though the very same thing with my delta 2. 2 weeks of dry hits and rewicking, changing coils. Then one day I hit the sweet spot. 18-22 watts, 3rd dia, 24 gauge, 5 wraps. Wicking on the delta 2 is more of an art if anything. Keep the wick loose when pulling the cotton though the coil. Set your cutting tool on the ledge below the treads and cut your cotton on an angle towards your coil. Wet your cotton with your favorite ejuice. Push your cotton on the deck and as far back away from the juice channels. Put the delta 2 together and and dry hit it a few times with no power to the rba. Now, start hitting it at 15 watts and work your way up to your desired wattage slowly. This is what I found works and beats my sub tank mini when it is working.
Lol

Cloudboss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dry hits cause either by improper wicking or trying to run to many watts through a coil

Last edited:
New vapor and new to the forum, just started vaping about a month ago, using the Ijust S. Have been loving it , so I came across a cubiod for dirt cheap. Couldn't say no , I've been using the .18 coils with no issues. Now that I'm using the cubiod I'm getting these dry hits no matter where I vape at (wattage wise), after 2 or 3 puffs. Put the tank back on the Ijust and same thing first puff or 2 tastes great but not for long! I admit I am a pretty heavy vaper and tend to chain vape for 6 to 7 puffs at a time, but if not I don't get the satisfying feeling I'm looking for and going back to cigs is NOT an option .... please help any advice would be greatly appreciated!

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
New vapor and new to the forum, just started vaping about a month ago, using the Ijust S. Have been loving it , so I came across a cubiod for dirt cheap. Couldn't say no , I've been using the .18 coils with no issues. Now that I'm using the cubiod I'm getting these dry hits no matter where I vape at (wattage wise), after 2 or 3 puffs. Put the tank back on the Ijust and same thing first puff or 2 tastes great but not for long! I admit I am a pretty heavy vaper and tend to chain vape for 6 to 7 puffs at a time, but if not I don't get the satisfying feeling I'm looking for and going back to cigs is NOT an option .... please help any advice would be greatly appreciated!
What's your juice's PG/VG ratio? I'm not familiar with those coils, but if they have smallish juice holes a lower VG percentage would probably help.

I started with the Eleaf ecl .18 ohm replacement coil rated at 30-80 watts, I never went over 75 and usually sit at around 50. So I tried the coilart version of the same coil in .2 ohms same outcome. Both have the larger juice holes and it's the same 70/30 juice on both. I'm starting to think I'm just too heavy of a vaper for this tank!

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My guess would have been same as others, too much cotton. It should be able to move a little through the coil if tugged back and forth. Too tight and the fibers of the cotton are compressed making it hard for the juice to wick. The big fluffy ends stay wet and the coil burns off the juice faster than it can wick leading to the dry hitting.

Same issue could have been true for the premade coils, cotton packed too tight. Various coil heads people suggest having to poke holes in the cotton through the juice holes of the coil head prior to soaking/installing to loosen the cotton a little and prevent the same thing from happening.

VU Sponsors