Become a Patron!

New to building

JosCiv

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Hi all!

As the title already mentioned I'm new to building so I was wondering if I could get some pro tips...

I know the basics (like pre-burning and removing the hotspots, thinning out the cotton,...) but I just want to know if there are some hidden things that nobody talks about to get a nicer vaping experience.

Also I don't have a Coil master kit so I use some old tongs and screwdriver to build.

A question I have in particular is that when I get a coil that is roundabout 1 or 2 cm thick, is it possible to make it a bit longer by twisting the legs round my screwdriver?

FYI I don't build the coils myself I just build them on my deck.

Thanks!

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Use steam-engine.org to model builds.....
Fwiw. My coil jig is a 3mm BBQ Skewer and a 2.5mm wire hanger and a 2x2 wood block. SEARCH Artistic Wire Coil Gizmo.

Nit sure I understand your question... o t her Than nit many atomizers can handle a 1 cm or 2 cm coil... that's allot of metal to heat up. But there is no limit as to number of wraps. ... although 5 to 12 is optimal.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Use steam-engine.org to model builds.....
Fwiw. My coil jig is a 3mm BBQ Skewer and a 2.5mm wire hanger and a 2x2 wood block. SEARCH Artistic Wire Coil Gizmo.

Nit sure I understand your question... o t her Than nit many atomizers can handle a 1 cm or 2 cm coil... that's allot of metal to heat up. But there is no limit as to number of wraps. ... although 5 to 12 is optimal.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
I was thinking the same thing.. 2cm is a big F'in coil! You would need a car battery to run it. lol.

when I get a coil that is roundabout 1 or 2 cm thick, is it possible to make it a bit longer by twisting the legs round my screwdriver

one of the 'tips' I figured out, is your coil should be aprox 2x as long as it is wide. So a coil with a 3mm id should be no longer than 6mm (just over 1/2 cm) otherwise the cotton burns in the middle of the coil, and then only pulls juice from the ends and the middle part of the coil does nothing but waste battery life. Uniform wicking is key, so you maximize your vapor production. You want the wick to pull juice as fast as your coil can vaporize it. Usually, it is better to increase the inner diameter of the coil rather than the length. Example, 8 wraps of 24ga kanthal on a 2.5mm id @0.33 ohm is the same as 6 wraps on a 3.5 mm id @0.33 ohm. (just an aprox for example) same amount of coil surface, but the 6 wrap coil will work better than the 8 wrap coil.

I also recommend getting the coil jig. It makes it much easier to build tight, uniform coils and is easier to hold on to and gives several options for how big your coils are. As far as the inner diameter go. 1.5 to 4.0 mm I believe is what mine has. The larger handle also helps when wrapping thicker wires. I used to use a set of drill bits from the dollar store before I got the coil master. LOL I used to wrap them using the drill to wind the coil, by sticking one end in the chuck beside the drill bit and giving it 6 rotations. (use metric bits, it's easier if you don't have to convert mm to inches)

Another pro tip is to use steam-engine.org to pre-build a virtual coil. This helps in planning how many wraps you need, how much power you will need to run the coil, how much heat you can produce per watt and the resistance of the coil you are building.

VU Sponsors