Become a Patron!

New Bottle Steeping

MoltenSilica

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I purchased a small bottle of Pink Spot Honey Cured Tobacco at my local vape shop. I loved it! I then purchased a bottle directly from Pink Spot on the web. However, the honey flavor in this most recent bottle is almost nonexistent. I wrote them and they said it probably needs to steep.

Is this common and how long do you usually have to let it sit?

galsvapetoo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Agreed a week or two should be fine

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
I've had one foot on and one foot off of the steeping bandwagon. But here and now, I'm taking an anti-steeping stance, and here's why: there's absolutely no science behind it.

First of all, the term "steeping" bugs the shit out of me. Steeping is soaking a solid in a liquid, to extract flavor. Like soaking a tea leaf in hot water. This doesn't apply to e-liquid at all. Then there's the fact that both PG and VG have a shelf life. Granted, it's 14-24 months, depending on which source you read...but the point remains. It's going to degrade over time. Throw in flavoring components, especially if they're organic, and e-liquid is going to degrade even faster. Essentially, "steeping" is letting the product go bad, especially those who advocate steeping with an open bottle.

I read blog and forum posts, and watch videos on steeping (Rip Tripper's video on steeping is especially full of crap), and it has about as much science behind it as an athlete wearing a lucky pair of socks. I've seen/read just about everything short of doing the Hokey Pokey with regards to steeping, and the more I read, the more ridiculous it all sounds. The only thing that does make sense, are those who say applying heat aids with flavor extraction. But...you're applying heat when you vape anyway, right?

o_O

Taste is subjective, we all know that. And I would never begrudge someone who believes, either factually or superstitiously, that what they're doing adds flavor to their vape. More power to em. But I think this whole steeping thing has gone too far, and it's more myth than anything else.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
With my max VG juices I like to let them sit in hot water for a hour. When taken out the liquid is so thin its easier to shake and blend the VG and flavorings.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Here's my take. When juices are made on demand, most of the time vendors just add the four components right into the bottle that they will be sending you. All four components have different properties and thicknesses: pg, vg, flavoring and nicotine base. So these components aren't mixed up. Depending on what order they filled the bottle, you may be getting too much flavor, not enough flavor, too much nicotine and so on. Even if you shake that bottle it's not going to properly mix all four components. In my opinion, some complicated juices may need to "steep" in order for all the flavors to merge, but most of the time they just need to be properly mixed. Instead of letting the bottle sit for a month waiting for these components to mix naturally, just dump the bottle of juice in a cup and stir it vigorously with something, stir it around about a hundred times like you would do to cake batter. Then put it back in your bottle. Try it. If it still tastes like crap then most likely it's crap and in some rare cases it might get better with steeping.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here's my take. When juices are made on demand, most of the time vendors just add the four components right into the bottle that they will be sending you. All four components have different properties and thicknesses: pg, vg, flavoring and nicotine base. So these components aren't mixed up. Depending on what order they filled the bottle, you may be getting too much flavor, not enough flavor, too much nicotine and so on. Even if you shake that bottle it's not going to properly mix all four components. In my opinion, some complicated juices may need to "steep" in order for all the flavors to merge, but most of the time they just need to be properly mixed. Instead of letting the bottle sit for a month waiting for these components to mix naturally, just dump the bottle of juice in a cup and stir it vigorously with something, stir it around about a hundred times like you would do to cake batter. Then put it back in your bottle. Try it. If it still tastes like crap then most likely it's crap and in some rare cases it might get better with steeping.

I DIY by weight now, and I make it exactly like that - right into the bottle. It mixes fine :) Just shake it up, and if necessary (custard or tobacco) I pop it in the crockpot:p

VU Sponsors