Become a Patron!

Neighbor having issues after long term vaping

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My neighbor has been trying to quit smoking for a long while using vaping, using a smok with a tank. She'll vape for 6-8 months without any problems but then start coughing a lot and not be able to tolerate it, so go back to cigarettes. After a while take up vaping again and it'll happen again after 6-8 months and it'll repeat.

She does replace the coils weekly so it's not an issue with the coils gettiing burnt out, she charges the smok every night as well. No change in juice either.

I've personally never heard of something like that happening.
Anybody have any ideas about what could cause it?

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
see if she uses the same flavour juice all the time, and if she gets all her juice from the same store.

Yep, same juice from the same place.

I had been thinking maybe a change in juice to something that coulden't be tolerated (like how I can't tolerate FA Catalan Cream when mixing my own) but nope. She uses the same brand and flavor the whole time.

Freyja

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
When a person stops smoking cigarettes, their lungs adjust to a new reality. Coughing fits, an abundance of phlegm, and even some difficulty breathing for awhile are not uncommon. It's actually one's body healing itself.

Granted, I've never heard of it being 6-8 months before such things begin, and I'm not a medical professional, but I don't see why it couldn't be the case.

A different brand of e-liquid in a different flavor and/or a different pg/vg ratio might not produce the same reaction. Just because it takes some time before the bad reaction starts doesn't mean there's not some component causing it; it may build up over time.

She might also want to try a different coil material. Her coils might be Ni80 and some people have a bad reaction to Ni (nickel).

In the end, it might be that vaping just isn't for her. Different people simply have different tolerances & sensitivities. We may love and be grateful for vaping but it's not right for everyone.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
When a person stops smoking cigarettes, their lungs adjust to a new reality. Coughing fits, an abundance of phlegm, and even some difficulty breathing for awhile are not uncommon. It's actually one's body healing itself.

Granted, I've never heard of it being 6-8 months before such things begin, and I'm not a medical professional, but I don't see why it couldn't be the case.

A different brand of e-liquid in a different flavor and/or a different pg/vg ratio might not produce the same reaction. Just because it takes some time before the bad reaction starts doesn't mean there's not some component causing it; it may build up over time.

She might also want to try a different coil material. Her coils might be Ni80 and some people have a bad reaction to Ni (nickel).

In the end, it might be that vaping just isn't for her. Different people simply have different tolerances & sensitivities. We may love and be grateful for vaping but it's not right for everyone.
good thinking,

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Any more details on exactly what she's vaping? Wattage? Exact tank and exact factory coils? The mod won't really matter.
Smok only does dtl i think. Try a mtl device.
Smok makes MTL devices. Or they did anyway. However, MTL is a good suggestion to try.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Is it a dry cough? If not, change to more PG, ie, if its been 30PG/70VG, 40PG/60VG might help. VG could be building up then cough to expel some.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Any more details on exactly what she's vaping? Wattage? Exact tank and exact factory coils? The mod won't really matter.

Smok makes MTL devices. Or they did anyway. However, MTL is a good suggestion to try.
i agree with you to an extent. no matter how you inhale, the bottom line is anything that you put into your lungs by whatever means, will/could cause problems/ now looking at the time frame of the coughing i would be hesitant to blame it on vaping because if there is an existing medical problem, then the cough would be there all the time. i have found member freyja to be a smart cookie and i would tend to go along with her conclusion, i mean some people can eat whatever they want, others cannot. all our bodies are different in what it can take, i have been vaping for many years so i am by no means a anti vaper moron.
combining your idea with freyja i would think it right. the only thing that i can look at is the fact that the juice being used is always from the same place.
i would certainly try another supplies just to ensure its not a bad batch of juice. they say a problem is only a question that has not been answered. therefore all you can do is one thing changes try it, then a different one. yes it will take time, but if it gets someone of those crap tasting, expensive cancer sticks..then i think its worth the time,

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year

Oh yeah, duh, totally forgot about their nord pods and stuff like that

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If she is going back to smoking each time, then each time she quits and starts to vape, she has to go through that lung purge again, the respiratory self cleaning we all go through when we quit cigarettes, and then it goes away as long as we don't smoke again.

She might be allergic to pg. Some people are. I'm a little allergic to it myself, but not enough to make me do all VG liquids.

She could try a different flavor, or unflavored.

But going back to smoking is certainly not helping anything. It paralyzes the cilia in the lungs, which is possibly why she stops coughing when she takes up smoking again.

I'd change the juice. Some can be dirty or bad quality, you may not notice right away. Or just a reaction to something in it. I'd say try another juice? And research the quality of it. Pharma grade, food grade flaves etc.

I've been vaping since 2000...? 15-20yrs. History of asthma (past) and allergies (ongoing)
I actually use asthma and allergy steroidal for nasal and lung sprays... once or twice a week.
Suffice it to say I'm predisposed to underlying issues, but obviously vaping is safer than cigarettes which I chain smoked prior to vaping.

It took quite a few years, maybe 10, before developing almost chronic lung congestion from excessive vaping.

For last yrs strictly DIY VG/80% (10yrs ago alot of signaling PG out for reactions) limited ingredient juice. Currently 6mg nic. (actually when Kind ejuice had to shut down their nic juices)
Mostly MTL rdta but now enjoying NanoZ GV tank with screen coils! I have 3 M100 GV mods going at all times. Same juice in all.

I think I'll try higher PG again, but definitely at 73 yrs, am in my groove of vaping daily anyway.

VU Sponsors