Become a Patron!

Need to quit vaping prior to the surgery?

Is it compulsory to quit vaping prior to the surgery? I have been scheduled for a liposuction surgery from cosmedical rejuvenation clinic in Vaughan on 30th of this month. My surgeon asked me to quit smoking and alcohol prior to the surgery and I assured him I can do that since I'm not addicted or using it. But I couldn't ask him about vaping. To be frank I didn't want to ask him about it. What if the surgeon asks me to quit vaping for a while? I think that will be a problem for me. I just need some advice from people who vaped even after getting a warning from their surgeon. Was it a bad experience? I would be grateful if you share some bits of information` regarding this.

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You should discuss it with your surgeon/physician immediately.
You might be pleasantly surprised.

If as I presume, it's to be a general anesthetic procedure and the smoking/drinking prohibitions are on account of that, it could come down to just a common sense recommendation to limit or eliminate nicotine intake for several days prior.

Or... I could be completely under thinking it.

Full disclosure... I neither play a doctor on TV, nor did I spent the night at a Holiday Inn Express. :p

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Let's hope your surgeon gives you the right advice and won't just say no because he doesn't know.

As we've seen not all doctors are knowledgeable on the subject.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
don't hide stuff from a doctor before surgery. tell him you vape and ask him if you need to stop before surgery. None of us here are qualified to tell you one way or the other

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I used to work with a plastic and reconstruction surgeon in Newport Bch, cal.

She like most surgeons dislike nicotine because of it being a vasoconstrictor. Makes surgery harder, and you get more bruising and complications when you use nicotine.

Your vascular system affects all aspects of how your body assimilates oxygen to all parts, especially your brain.

Let the doctor KNOW !!!!!!. Its important to the surgeon and the anesthesiologist to know ANY THING that could affect your body's chemistry.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
From someone that was in emergency surgery this year.. no issues prior and after.

But elective yes ask your doc.

Very true, and not always is there any problems. But plastic surgeons pay TONS and TONS of money for malpractice insurance and they want to cover their asses. IF and again, IF there is a problem and lets say it really IS their mistake, their investigators find nicotine in your autopsy and they blame it all on you.

Dont mean to scare you, but really its your health and decision.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I always scratch my head when I see folks asking for medical advice on an online forum rather than straight from their doctors
scratch-head03-idea-animated-animation-smiley-emoticon-000416-large_zpsdfsh13zl.gif

Good luck with your procedure

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I have had two major operations in the past year and in both cases the doctors had no issues with me vaping right up until the time they came to wheel me into the operation room.

No complications either!

VU Sponsors