Become a Patron!

need help with picking ohms

malachi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just got the ipv4 box and i have it set on 50w 4.24v, with 26ga canthol. What would be a good ohm and coil build to get some nice dense vapor and flavor and is there a chart someone can point me to so that i can learn the right way to build a coil based on wattage/ amp/volts. So that i know the right ohms to use.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
There's some online calculators and some calculators that run on your phone for doing the math. I use android versions of VaporCalc and Vaper's Toolbox. With both of them you enter in wire gauge, coil diameter, number of coils, wire type, and target ohms and it'll guide you on the wraps. VaporCalc has an OhmCalc tool where you enter in 2 of following and it calculates the other two values: watts, amps, ohms, volts. So, you could enter in target volts and watts and it'd tell you ohms and amps (which would also help make sure you're not overtaxing battery with too high of an amp draw)

malachi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have the ipv4. It is variable voltage with 2- 18650 batteries rated 3.7 volts 2100 mah

malachi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use the vapor calc but i know very little about ohms law or volt and amps. I just want the most vapor and flavor, and staying in the safe rating for my battery

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
what are you using with the ipv4 (kanger subtank, clearomizers, kayfun, fatman, nautilis,... )? Different atomizers have different capabilities. Also, different brands of batteries have different max amp draw (e.g. Sony VTC4s can handle 30 amps discharge rate, PVTSOs can only handle 25 amps)

Hopefully you have an ohm meter to measure the coil before you hook it up to battery

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What tank or atomizer are you using?

malachi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Im using a doge dual post for single or dual coils and 26ga canthol wire
Im building my own coils, im just not all to sure the minimal and maximum safe ohms to build a coil at

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ohms is a measure of the resistance for the flow of electricity (think of a partial blockage in water pipe)
amps is the amount of electricity used (how much water is being used, less blockage in pipe allows more water through)
volts is the pressure (or force) of the electricity being pushed down the wire (think water pressure in pipe)
watts is a measure of the work that electricity does per second (amount of work that the water can do, depending on the pressure and volume of water)

malachi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok, thanks. So do you know what resistance range i should stay between?

malachi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I Was thinking about keeping it around 50-80 watts

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
at that watt range, and with the 26ga kanthal, speaking for myself, I'd shoot for 0.3 ohms or 0.4 ohms. Just in case you don't know, If you do dual coil, and target is 0.3, each coil would be 0.6ohms (when you use 2 coils it halves the ohms)

malachi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I didnt know that, thank you im currently. Using a 6.0 good flavor is there a trick to have a low resistance but a lot of surface area

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I was thinking earlier that these were batteries that were rated for 30A discharge, but now I'm second-guessing myself. If they're rated for 20A, I'd make the .4 the lowest I'd go at those wattages. What brand of battery?

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
With a variable power mod the coil current has nothing to do with battery current. The watt setting and battery voltage determine how much current is being pulled from the batteries. Also, when the voltage is adjustable it isn't necessary to worry so much about hitting some target resistance unless you're trying to reach the upper limits of the mods capabilities. If the resistance gets too high the mod won't make enough voltage to get the watts real high. My suggestion is use 24g kanthal which gives you the ability to make large'ish coils which provide more surface area and the ohms will stay in the range of allowing you to run them how you want. When using a big power mod that can fire low ohm builds and trying to get good rda performance, coil geometry is usually more important than worrying about trying to hit some specific resistance measurement unless you're trying to do something crazy.

malachi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No, not trying to do anything crazy just dont want to hurt my mods and battery

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I run Samsung 25R's in mine. Works well. Used it up to 85watts with a .2ohm coil in an Artic, no problems.

There a app called microcoil pro and to me helps me out a lot I can put in style of wire I'm using the length of the legs how many wires I'm actually using and will give you your ohms volts and amps and even shows you your surface heat of the coil. No more building to find out your ohms are to low..
I'd definitely recommend this app to anyone that's in to building for newbe to professional. It's a must have app. $6 on iTunes and 3.95 on goggle play Look up Microcoilpro on the App Store
bf4f77c0a0fe90f110fb1611c269b0ad.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Adam Paseman

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The IPV4 can read down to .1 ohms. Id suggest something around 1.0 ohms which if i remember is 14 wraps of 26g kanthal around 2.5mm's on a duel coil set up. Then...experiment with your warttage and airflow settings.

malachi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Im not all to familiar with the coil calculator. I dont know what leg length is or when they say 5/6 wraps i usually make the coil then test it, lol i guess thats part of the fun.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
leg length is the length of wire between the actual coil and the posts. 5/6 wraps is when you look at one side of coil it's got 5 rounds showing and on other it's got 6.

malachi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ahh ok, thats what i thought leg length was but im new and still stupid, lol but not for long. Theres a lot of experienced people on this site that have helped me tons

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
we're all in this boat together ;) The pisser is that it keeps changing, so there's always more to learn. *laf*

malachi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Lol, yeah im trying to learn the old stuff and the new stuff, so you have a leg up on me hahaha

VU Sponsors