Become a Patron!

Need help w/ Subtank Mini

Ok, so here is my dilemma. I am using the .5 ohm OCC inmy Kangertech Subtank Mini with an Eleaf iStick 30w at 22.9w. I get 2-3 good flavor draws, then BURNT! Then if I prime it again or let it sit for a while, it will give me 2 to 3 good draws and then back to burnt. I don't seem to have this trouble with the RBA deck, but I don't want to spend the money for the gear t build my own coils and I don't like the lower airflow when using the RBA. Has anyone had this issue? What can I do to fix it? And yes, I have used the full range of 15-30w of the coil.

twisted

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is your juice max vg? When I ran anything higher then 70%vg I would get burnt dry hits. The thickness of the vg does not let it rewick fast enough on subtank for me. Anything 70 and lower worked great for me

GrayVaper

Drips in Public
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's most likely your culprit. My Sub Tank Minis run on 50/50 mostly and I've never encountered a dry hit.

twisted

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I mostly used 60vg but did run alittle 70 vg with no problems. But anything higher the flavor was either muted or getting burnt hits

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've been hearing people say the cotton in their occ's is too tight which is causing issues with wicking. Try taking a needle and poke at the cotton through the juice holes. I remember someone saying doing that fixed the poor wicking. I have no issues with my diy juice that's over 80% vg.

I've been hearing people say the cotton in their occ's is too tight which is causing issues with wicking. Try taking a needle and poke at the cotton through the juice holes. I remember someone saying doing that fixed the poor wicking. I have no issues with my diy juice that's over 80% vg.
I thought about trying this. But a couple days ago, I bought a 1.2 ohm coil and I am running it at 15.4w, staying on th high end of 4.2v and I haven't had a dry hit yet. I did get some e liquid that is a 65VG though. So maybe its just that combination.

Married 2 The 7

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's the VG like everyone has stated. Same thing happened to me until I realized it was my high VG. Anything over 60 vg and I would get dry hits every 3rd pull. On the RBA it handled high VG like a champ but not the disposable coils.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
With two 3mm juice holes and the minimal distance from the holes to the coil, the only reason thick juice wouldn't wick well has to be caused by the cotton being too dense. The problem isn't the juice. The problem is the china man that's installing the cotton. Not everyone using thick juice has this problem. As I've already stated, my juice is over 80% vg and apparently the coil heads that came with mine don't have the 'cotton is too tight' problem. My buddy uses the juice I make (80+% vg) and even at 30w neither one of us get dry hits. We both used the stock coil heads that came with our subtank mini's for a while and have since put them aside and now use the rba head. Unfortunately these are the kind of bullshit issues people might have when relying on some guy in china to make and wick their coils.

LetTheLuckRoll

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
With two 3mm juice holes and the minimal distance from the holes to the coil, the only reason thick juice wouldn't wick well has to be caused by the cotton being too dense. The problem isn't the juice. The problem is the china man that's installing the cotton. Not everyone using thick juice has this problem. As I've already stated, my juice is over 80% vg and apparently the coil heads that came with mine don't have the 'cotton is too tight' problem. My buddy uses the juice I make (80+% vg) and even at 30w neither one of us get dry hits. We both used the stock coil heads that came with our subtank mini's for a while and have since put them aside and now use the rba head. Unfortunately these are the kind of bullshit issues people might have when relying on some guy in china to make and wick their coils.
this is true but it is nice to have the ability to drop an occ in the tank and vape.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Poking holes in the cotton works. I only run cereal killa in mine, which is 90/10 vg, 25w, and never get dry hits any more

VU Sponsors