Become a Patron!

Need Coil and Cotton Advice, Buying a new RDA

DaMunchMan

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am buying a new mod and RDA. Going with the new Voopoo Drag (which I have been using the Drag for a year or 2 already and LOVE it it's just time to get a new one) and for the RDA I'm going with the Drop Dead by HELLVAPE X HEATHEN X TVC 24MM.
Screenshot_2018-11-09-00-43-55_zpssw8znnot.jpg

Screenshot_2018-11-09-00-44-24_zpsl0athveq.jpg

My question is what is the best cotton to use for coils? I was thinking Cotton Bacon but I don't have any experience in this field and would like some input.

Also for prebuilt coils I was thinking about going with Demon Killer Coils 48 PCS, 8 Types of Prebuilt Coil set which includes:

Screenshot_2018-11-09-13-35-23_zps2ls14css.jpg

Screenshot_2018-11-09-13-35-27_zpsjwixtxqr.jpg

Screenshot_2018-11-09-13-35-30_zpstjollxpy.jpg

Screenshot_2018-11-09-13-35-33_zpsvpmjkxqj.jpg

Screenshot_2018-11-09-13-35-38_zpsohkbur1u.jpg

Screenshot_2018-11-09-13-35-41_zpswdnxmkrx.jpg

Screenshot_2018-11-09-13-35-44_zps1m79zqqv.jpg

Is this a good setup of coils for my RDA? Any advice and comments to help me out and lead me in the right direction are appreciated.

ALL PICTURES POSTED ARE OF THE PRODUCTS DESCRIBED.

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hand built coils are ALWAYS better...As far as cotton goes; I just switched to Native Wicks Platinum Blend. Way better than Cotton Bacon Prime...
f1fb67b29ddb933a210c2f0df9c36bfe.jpg
d981de4eadbb47917a7e80962bd772c5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
ec4b558953c3cdb67581d5b2f710458c.jpg
7f79367605a9b25184e7f123a7846995.jpg
5fe3cf3f10025b87fbc91488f1defe06.jpg
6179b53d6e4f2266f6845d7af5a1e6ed.jpg
87c37b158244eca07a4cc22c3d237436.jpg
b0a2ed5fd630e49384d3cc022d6d3a39.jpg

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Hand built. There are several members that make/sell them.
Those Demon Killers can't be worth it. $5 for 48 coils? :facepalm: Cheap wire, machine made. Alien isn't a patented name for coil building process either, so if any in there say alien you can bet it's a marketing ploy and not a true alien.

Try yourself some fraliens or aliens depending on what resistance you want.
If you haven't used a rebuildable atomizer before, I'm thinking if you say what resistance, wattage, and in what atty you've been using, you could get some good feedback from some builders on what coils would be good for you and that atty.

Last edited:

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cheap wire, machine made
there is nothing wrong with mach1ne made coils my friend :cheers:

im gonna have to agree that the demon killer coils are not a great choice. i see a lot of people around the forums saying things like 'exotic coils are too big' and 'i tried exotic coils and didnt like them' and i feel like their only experience with 'exotic coils' is one of these packs of poorly thought out/cheap wire/badly constructed mass produced coils, because all of their points (too big/too much power) are pretty much categorically wrong when it comes to actual hand made, well thought out coils. there are people who believe that 'aliens' are 'too big' somehow, even though you can make them out of whatever sized wire you want. its crazy and annoying imo to see all the misinformation that comes from junk like this being available to the masses.

/end_rant, 1

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Thank you! It can be as intricate as you want. @raymo2u defines intricate.
I meant the wire itself. I thought it was solid wire with indentations in it. but I see that, at least those, wires are like cables.
very cool.

I am sure you twisted those coils, your are an artist

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I meant the wire itself. I thought it was solid wire with indentations in it. but I see that, at least those, wires are like cables.
very cool.

I am sure you twisted those coils, your are an artist
I made those out of solid wire. Those are Alien coil variants. And thank you for the kind words.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I don't build coils but I can say that coils can be made from round, flat(ribbon), wavy, twisted...
Some have many wire types in one coil. The waves and twists in the individual wire(s) are made by the builder. Different size (gauge) wire can be waved, twisted, stacked, sidebyside, woven.... in different configurations. Once the wire is built it is wrapped to give it the coil shape.
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/post-your-builds.737/page-465#post-2322988

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
"jawhittingthefloor" . that shit is soooo far over the top, SUPERMAN would say DAYUUUUUM !

OXX , I will buy some of those from you, someday. but idk if I could ever bring myself to use them.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
The wires that most of us builders use is premium sanvik wire and the coils will last many months of use with light cleanings, they are also more resilient to breaking down with use. The different wire types and coil builds allow different qualities and can provide different experiences but it can take a bit to find what you like for which RDA/RTA, how many coil wraps and what size diameter/resistance. The best way to find out is order a coil with 3mm ID and with 6 wraps as you can always remove a wrap if its too much coil but you cant add a wrap if its less wraps to start with.
Rule of Thumb:
More wraps (5+) and less coil mass for regulated mods/Kanthal and SS.
Use N80 or SS for Mechanical Mods, best with 4-5 Wraps.

Some coils are JUST FOR LOOKS, while others give off a amazing vape, dont go for coils that look thick and tall....usually they are a lackluster experience like Mohawks and Enigmas/Tsukas/Corrugated Coils. The Multicore Aliens and Framed Staple types of coils are flavor and heat oriented coils and IMO are the best for vaping.

My favorite Coils (4 and 5 Core Aliens) Ill leave a close up so you can see the wire in detail:

43645416_554634594979839_336961920670155572_n.jpg
43529396_477515679404519_779034560090650933_n.jpg

The color is from "Heat Treating", it happens when heating certain metals...its just a visual change and in no way effects the wire and will fade or "burn out" when using them.

Last edited:

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
The wires that most of us builders use is premium sanvik wire and the coils will last many months of use with light cleanings, they are also more resilient to breaking down with use.

thanx, I was going ask that. right now I am SO FNG. but once I get a handle on this .....................

what wattage do those typical run at ?

AnkouSitan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Best coils and cotton is always going to be a subjective thing. Some people love cotton bacon, or Japanese cotton, or Egyptian cotton. I like rayon myself. It’s going to come down to your taste preference and that will come from trial and error.

As far coils, they are subjective as well, but also their placement will affect the taste you get from them. The rda you use the will affect it. Some people loved the Drop RDA others will swear by the Dead Rabbit. Size of the Rda, the type of airflow for it. I know this is a ton to wrap your head around when starting down the rebuildable path.

It’s going to come down to experimentation to find your sweet spot. There are a lot of good opinions given so far, but mileage will vary for the individual. Biggest tip I can give is not to be discouraged if something you try isn’t your style. Doesn’t mean you like rdas and such, just means that you have to keep looking for the one that fits you.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
thanx, I was going ask that. right now I am SO FNG. but once I get a handle on this .....................

what wattage do those typical run at ?

Wattage will vary for each individual as we all like different things, Im one to vape a bit warmer stuff than most as I like the burn in my chest feeling and a saturated flavorful vape...so I use mostly regulated mods well under the limit that intelligent people would use. IF Im using a regulated mod, they will run anywhere from 140-160w but resistance, metal composition, and the way you vape will change what that wattage represents. A .2 Ohm Build at 80w will vape similarly to a Build thats .08 ohms at 130w....the type of metal used will also be a variable that makes a difference.

If you use a Regulated Device then use Kanthal or N80, the metal's resistance properties will function best for that type of device as its higher resistance will lend you more room to play with for wattage, giving you breathing room to try things out. Using metals like SS or N90 which have very low resistances, regulated devices may not fire them if the resistance of the coil is too low or it may limit the amount of power available. Some devices can fire almost anything (many as low as .05 Ohms) and thats much safer as they have protections so you dont end up hurting yourself before you get a grasp on whats going on...for me this is the main thing I look at when looking at a Regulated Device, if it doesnt fire as low as .05 I dont buy it.

Grab some 28g Kanthal and 34g or 36g, then experiment...twisting, braiding, claptons, fused claptons, multi-core claptons first. You will build experience and slowly gain a understanding of how coil mass effects things like wicking, heating, cool down, flavor, cloudage, and resistance. Move up when you feel ready.

If you have any other questions about building you should jump into the "Post your builds" thread, there are many great people in there that will help you along your travels...you'll be surprised how fast you pick it up.

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I am going to agree with most and warn you those demon killer coils are not good. I was in a rush ran in a place and grabbed some. I used one and the rest are sitting collecting dust. I wouldn't even hand them off to someone. As far as cotton goes, I just recently started using Native wicks Platinum blend over cotton bacon. Something better than Native wicks IMO is Ryon. I am loving the Ryon I have used.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Wattage will vary for each individual as we all like different things, Im one to vape a bit warmer stuff than most as I like the burn in my chest feeling and a saturated flavorful vape...so I use mostly regulated mods well under the limit that intelligent people would use. IF Im using a regulated mod, they will run anywhere from 140-160w but resistance, metal composition, and the way you vape will change what that wattage represents. A .2 Ohm Build at 80w will vape similarly to a Build thats .08 ohms at 130w....the type of metal used will also be a variable that makes a difference.

If you use a Regulated Device then use Kanthal or N80, the metal's resistance properties will function best for that type of device as its higher resistance will lend you more room to play with for wattage, giving you breathing room to try things out. Using metals like SS or N90 which have very low resistances, regulated devices may not fire them if the resistance of the coil is too low or it may limit the amount of power available. Some devices can fire almost anything (many as low as .05 Ohms) and thats much safer as they have protections so you dont end up hurting yourself before you get a grasp on whats going on...for me this is the main thing I look at when looking at a Regulated Device, if it doesnt fire as low as .05 I dont buy it.

Grab some 28g Kanthal and 34g or 36g, then experiment...twisting, braiding, claptons, fused claptons, multi-core claptons first. You will build experience and slowly gain a understanding of how coil mass effects things like wicking, heating, cool down, flavor, cloudage, and resistance. Move up when you feel ready.

If you have any other questions about building you should jump into the "Post your builds" thread, there are many great people in there that will help you along your travels...you'll be surprised how fast you pick it up.

THANX man. fantastic advice. when I do get started with this, and I will. I will be pretty conservative. the rig I am using now * is "ok".
Tuesday I will be getting my vaporesso luxe. the SKRR tank should be a nice step up. then I will have a better feel on what to look forward to. THEN I will move towards this. but saying that, NO WAY am I going to be as advanced as you guys.

*innokin cool fire IV with their .5ohm ss coil in the isub v tank. I works very good at work. at home, not as much as I would like.

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
IMO for a brand new builder, Cotton Bacon or Japanese pads are a good place to start. Just for the ease of use. Again all is subjective but some wicking cotton can be difficult to work with untill you gain some experienced. Drago for example using it for your first wicks will have you pulling your hair out. Again IMO.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
IMO for a brand new builder, Cotton Bacon or Japanese pads are a good place to start. Just for the ease of use. Again all is subjective but some wicking cotton can be difficult to work with untill you gain some experienced. Drago for example using it for your first wicks will have you pulling your hair out. Again IMO.
I really like this stuff, wicking has never been so quick and painless...it has the same taste and wicking properties as Cotton Bacon V2 but with no dicking around, these are good for 2.5mm-3mm Coil ID's.
https://www.getcotn.com/

iu

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just seems kind of gimickey for me. Half the time I am wicking some larger 3.5 - 4 mm coils for my Cricket. Just my opinion.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Just seems kind of gimickey for me. Half the time I am wicking some larger 3.5 - 4 mm coils for my Cricket. Just my opinion.
Its only gimmicky if you like rolling your cotton up and use trial and error to find the "right" amount for both coils...which if your new to this or in a rush you'll find its not "gimmicky". Open the pack and pull through, clip off finger tabs...done. A Gimmick is something thats purely for entertainment value or barely useful, ever wicked in a rush?
Not everyone vapes series bruh, the majority of vapers (especially newbies) use 2.5 and 3mm for their coils and thats what gear is built for, the majority.

Last edited:

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
trial and error to find the "right" amount for both coils...
This is the part that kills me about cotton bacon. I have been itching to try out cotn threads for that reason.

With CB, I can work around it somewhat by pulling one long piece and making both wicks from that one piece, but it still pulls unevenly from end to end sometimes.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I use 3 core nichrome aliens the majority of the time with cotton bacon v2.

Kanthal tastes bad to me now and I don't want to worry about over heating stainless steel.

I've tried Japanese cotton and native wicks and they both tasted off in the beginning but eventually went away. I dont get that with cotton bacon. I've never tried the prime.

VU Sponsors