Become a Patron!

Need Alittle Help RDA

Alright guys and gals I just purchased my first rda so imma noob to that lol I can tell ya anything ya want about a sub ohm but not this. I bought The Recoil RDA A by Grimm green and ohmboy. I have the smok alien 220. I also purchased SS 316 26ga wire. What's a good coil wrap and what type of settings do I need to have my alien on. I got dual 18650 batteries both 2500mAH at 3.7 volts.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Welcome to VU! :cheers:

Lots of options with just that wire: simple staple spaced or contact, parallel, twisted, braided, etc. Watch some youtube vids.

For mod settings, SS can be used in both Temp and Watt modes. I recommend using watt mode until you get comfortable building, but temp mode is fairly simple on the Alien. You just need to set a wattage(lower for slower ramp time, higher for faster ramp time), then set the SS tcr value to 0.00092, then set the temp around 400. Adjust the wattage and temp to suit you.

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Welcome to VU! :cheers:

Lots of options with just that wire: simple staple spaced or contact, parallel, twisted, braided, etc. Watch some youtube vids.

For mod settings, SS can be used in both Temp and Watt modes. I recommend using watt mode until you get comfortable building, but temp mode is fairly simple on the Alien. You just need to set a wattage(lower for slower ramp time, higher for faster ramp time), then set the SS tcr value to 0.00092, then set the temp around 400. Adjust the wattage and temp to suit you.

Good luck and have fun!
There is no locking in the resistance on the Alien? I have been playing around with TC on my Pico and I have to lock the resistance in. I thought about trying my Alien but had a few questions. I too am using SS316L 26G wire.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
There is no locking in the resistance on the Alien? I have been playing around with TC on my Pico and I have to lock the resistance in. I thought about trying my Alien but had a few questions. I too am using SS316L 26G wire.
No resistance locking on the Alien. I've only just started using it in TC, myself. I'd say it works fairly well, but it's no DNA or FSK. I am liking it, though.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Something I'll throw in about the Alien and TC --- make sure to remove the atty after you go into TC mode. Then put the atty back on and make sure it asks about a new coil. when asked about a new coil, select YES. This makes sure the TC mode sees the coil correctly and the correct Ω value for the coil. It is then locked.

Also make sure you have the correct TCR value entered for the wire type. By default, the TCR value Ti-SS is invalid for SS316L wire. It is defaulted to SS304 wire. The TCR value for SS316L is 0.00092

Something I'll throw in about the Alien and TC --- make sure to remove the atty after you go into TC mode. Then put the atty back on and make sure it asks about a new coil. when asked about a new coil, select YES. This makes sure the TC mode sees the coil correctly and the correct Ω value for the coil. It is then locked.

Also make sure you have the correct TCR value entered for the wire type. By default, the TCR value Ti-SS is invalid for SS316L wire. It is defaulted to SS304 wire. The TCR value for SS316L is 0.00092

Would it be better to run it in TC mode on that setup or wattage ?

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Would it be better to run it in TC mode on that setup or wattage
Sorry, I don't see any coil specs thus far in the thread, other than the wire that you have.

Running in TC mode is completely up to the user and their preferences. I personally use SS316L wire, in all different sizes and coil builds. I personally do not like TC mode in any of them due to the "cut off" that seems to happen when the temp hits the setting applied, which is exactly how it is supposed to work by design, so it's not a fault of TC mode.

With that said, I'm not against TC mode on devices. I just purchased a Hohm Wrecker G2 that does TC with Kathal wire, so I'm still in the investigative phases of TC workings.

Being that you have 2500mAh batteries and not 3000mAh batteries (Samsung 30Q are quite nice in the Alien MODs), I personally would try to keep it to a mid-range Ω coil (somewhere between .7Ω and .5Ω) just to help conserve battery drain.

Here may be decent build for that dual coil RDA
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html?mat=ss316l&s=dp&r=0.3&hf=250&awg=26&id=2.5

SS316L Dual Coil >> 2.5mm ID / .6Ω p/coil (.3Ω total) / Heat index @ 250 would be approx 65-70W power.
So in TC mode, I would set it to 75W(hard mode) and set the temp to about 430 - 470F depending on your heat tolleration.

Last edited:

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Sorry, I don't see any coil specs thus far in the thread, other than the wire that you have.

Running in TC mode is completely up to the user and their preferences. I personally use SS316L wire, in all different sizes and coil builds. I personally do not like TC mode in any of them due to the "cut off" that seems to happen when the temp hits the setting applied, which is exactly how it is supposed to work by design, so it's not a fault of TC mode.

With that said, I'm not against TC mode on devices. I just purchased a Hohm Wrecker G2 that does TC with Kathal wire, so I'm still in the investigative phases of TC workings.

Being that you have 2500mAh batteries and not 3000mAh batteries (Samsung 30Q are quite nice in the Alien MODs), I personally would try to keep it to a mid-range Ω coil (somewhere between .7Ω and .5Ω) just to help conserve battery drain.

Here may be decent build for that dual coil RDA
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html?mat=ss316l&s=dp&r=0.3&hf=250&awg=26&id=2.5

SS316L Dual Coil >> 2.5mm ID / .6Ω p/coil (.3Ω total) / Heat index @ 250 would be approx 65-70W power.
So in TC mode, I would set it to 75W(hard mode) and set the temp to about 430 - 470F depending on your heat tolleration.
it's not really the resistance that deicsed battery life. it's the mass of the coils which decides how much watts you need to heat them up. more masss - more watts = less battery life.
with regulated mods, building to a set Resistance isn't really important. anywhere from .1-.5 is pretty much the same. just depends on the mass of the coils

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
mass of the coils which decides how much watts you need to heat them up
That is exactly where I was going ... keeping the mass down... sorry, I may have conveyed it incorrectly.

See --- I learning something new every day also.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
That is exactly where I was going ... keeping the mass down... sorry, I may have conveyed it incorrectly.
lol no worries. I've done it myself as well.
you were on a good path for sure. everything else makes perfect sense ;)

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
TCR for SS316L is 0.00088 (rounded up) according to steam engine ...I found I had a more consistent TC vape on my Smok device using that TCR over 0.00092 although they are so bloody close doubt it makes that much of a difference... enough that I noticed it... have a butchers at that Q&A thread phantom posted though, some useful info I gathered from various sources ...you can always skip some of the detailed bits (or ask anything not covered so far) I got a bit focused in trying to understand difference between the temperature curve and linear temp co efficient and trying to get a sweet spot (on Smok you only need to care about the TCR ignore all the other ramblings lol)

Definitely a good shout about removing the atty phantom found this myself as well. Unfortunately there is no way to lock in resistence on the Smok so if you vape anywhere that differs in temp from where you set the atty it will give false feedback which is annoying

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
TCR for SS316L is 0.00088 (rounded up) according to steam engine ...I found I had a more consistent TC vape on my Smok device using that TCR over 0.00092 although they are so bloody close doubt it makes that much of a difference... enough that I noticed it... have a butchers at that Q&A thread phantom posted though, some useful info I gathered from various sources ...you can always skip some of the detailed bits (or ask anything not covered so far) I got a bit focused in trying to understand difference between the temperature curve and linear temp co efficient and trying to get a sweet spot (on Smok you only need to care about the TCR ignore all the other ramblings lol)

Definitely a good shout about removing the atty phantom found this myself as well. Unfortunately there is no way to lock in resistence on the Smok so if you vape anywhere that differs in temp from where you set the atty it will give false feedback which is annoying
it's 00092 for SS316L
00088 is for SS317
TCR-Chart-Vaping.jpg

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
On that pic yeah not on steam engine buddy it comes out at
0.000879 for 316L
and 0.000940 for 317
I'll have to look into that. Most ss316 manufacturers list it as 00092. It could be a certain manufacturer being a little off. I'll take a look at steam engine a little later and see why it says that

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've also noticed differences in listed TCR values. Some places state a value specific to a certain brand of wire. This leads me to assume there may be no precise standard TCR value, but rather a range the TCR should fall into. But I'm just guessing.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I've also noticed differences in listed TCR values. Some places state a value specific to a certain brand of wire. This leads me to assume there may be no precise standard TCR value, but rather a range the TCR should fall into. But I'm just guessing.
Could be. Plus of course manufacturers aren't 100% equal. It was a real nice catch from kingpin for sure.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Exactly who's to say either is right ...try one then the other lol Those other ones could be to allow for impurities as you say or steam engine could be slightly out?!

Those numbers are so close ...if in doubt use the higher one first then the lower

I've found steam engine to be accurate everywelse though and it's normally the place we advise everyone to go look at

VU Sponsors