Become a Patron!

Need advice for a Pulse 24 RBA BF build

HeavyHook

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey guys, I'm relatively new to building coils. I recently picked up a Lost Vapes Therion DNA75c 75w squonker and topped it with a Vandy Vapes Pulse 24mm bf RDA. I am looking for a build that will do two things for me. First I'm looking for flavor above everything else. Cloud size is not an important consideration for me. And Second, my builds are killing my Samsung 18650-30Q single battery in about 4 hours.
I have been using the Steam Coil building site to plan my coils. I have tried two builds so far and they're just not working for me. First, the material I have on hand to build with is an assortment of SS316L from 22ga thru 36 ga. My first build was dual 28ga coils that came in @ 0.42 ohms not much flavor at all. The second was a single coil 22ga @ 0.17 ohms more flavor but just not there. I've tried running up to 50 watts mode and 475 degrees in temp mode and them just don't seem to come anywhere near what I experienced in my Smok BigBabyBeast tank with similar factory ohm coils.
I have watched many hours of coil building tutorials on YouTube. My coils seem to come out really nice and my cotton wicks well.
Thanks for any input on this issue!

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've had good luck using simple fused claptons from advanced vape supply. Tonight I decided to run it in single coil with an N80 fused clapton I built myself. Tons of flavor and enough clouds that my wife is complaining about the reduced light in the room.

HeavyHook

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That sounds like what I might be looking for. I am really leary of using anything that has nickle in it due to my inexperience.I found several types of clapton wire on Amazon at this link.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075N7L71F/ref=biss_dp_sa1 .Theys include about 8 different types of clapton wire choices.

B075N2ZCV7 15 Feet Clapton Wire
$12.99
See all buying options
B075N3N55K 15 Feet Alien Wire
$12.99
See all buying options
B075N49PPB 15 Feet Quad Wire
$12.99
See all buying options
B075N5HSR2 15 Feet Mix Twisted Wire
$12.99
See all buying options
B075N5M7LP 15 Feet Tiger Wire
$12.99
See all buying options
B075N6258R 15 Feet Hive Wire
$12.99
See all buying options
B075N7FG49 15 Feet Fused Clapton Wire
$12.99
See all buying options
B075N7ZFJN 15 Feet Flat Twisted Wire
$12.99
See all buying options

I have no idea what the differences are between them. If someone could maybe recommend 2 of the types listed I would really be appreciated. I originally purchased a large selection of SS316L wire because reviews said it produced a really clean taste, THANKS

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Hey guys, I'm relatively new to building coils. I recently picked up a Lost Vapes Therion DNA75c 75w squonker and topped it with a Vandy Vapes Pulse 24mm bf RDA. I am looking for a build that will do two things for me. First I'm looking for flavor above everything else. Cloud size is not an important consideration for me. And Second, my builds are killing my Samsung 18650-30Q single battery in about 4 hours.
I have been using the Steam Coil building site to plan my coils. I have tried two builds so far and they're just not working for me. First, the material I have on hand to build with is an assortment of SS316L from 22ga thru 36 ga. My first build was dual 28ga coils that came in @ 0.42 ohms not much flavor at all. The second was a single coil 22ga @ 0.17 ohms more flavor but just not there. I've tried running up to 50 watts mode and 475 degrees in temp mode and them just don't seem to come anywhere near what I experienced in my Smok BigBabyBeast tank with similar factory ohm coils.
I have watched many hours of coil building tutorials on YouTube. My coils seem to come out really nice and my cotton wicks well.
Thanks for any input on this issue!

With what you have on hand.. try parallel 28g with 36ga ss wrap.
2nd.. SS is a power guzzler. It takes far more current to heat SS as it does kanthal.
for best results, get some 26 and/or 28 ga kanthal and wrap with the SS. Since wrap wires don't heat from battery power, but from heat transfer, it should save some battery life.

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've found N80 very easy to work with and my palate isn't refined enough to tell a taste difference between it and ss316. I also only vape wattage mode. For me, the flavor of N80 or SS is worlds above kanthal. I'm still just a novice coil builder and have been vaping prebuilt coils for several months before making the leap. For a long time I used the Coilology 7 in 1 packs. They are pretty good for inexpensive coils and it gives one an opportunity to try several different coil styles.

gbalkam gives good advice. Using your pulse 24 as a single coil will also help save some battery vs. dual coil.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I've found N80 very easy to work with and my palate isn't refined enough to tell a taste difference between it and ss316. I also only vape wattage mode. For me, the flavor of N80 or SS is worlds above kanthal. I'm still just a novice coil builder and have been vaping prebuilt coils for several months before making the leap. For a long time I used the Coilology 7 in 1 packs. They are pretty good for inexpensive coils and it gives one an opportunity to try several different coil styles.

gbalkam gives good advice. Using your pulse 24 as a single coil will also help save some battery vs. dual coil.
Just as a comparison... a single core clapton 26ga core and 36ga wrap will use more power than a dual 28ga core with 36ga wrap, but the 28ga parallel build will actually give better flavor, due to more juice trapped between the spaces in the coil. It uses less power than the 26ga single because there is less wire mass to heat. Obviously, a single core 28ga clapton would use less power than the 26ga core, but there is a point where you trade battery run time for a better vape.

HeavyHook

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just as a comparison... a single core clapton 26ga core and 36ga wrap will use more power than a dual 28ga core with 36ga wrap, but the 28ga parallel build will actually give better flavor, due to more juice trapped between the spaces in the coil. It uses less power than the 26ga single because there is less wire mass to heat. Obviously, a single core 28ga clapton would use less power than the 26ga core, but there is a point where you trade battery run time for a better vape.
Thanks, Guys, sounds like some very good advice. I'll pick up some kanthal and give your suggestions a shot! I do have a couple other things, I'm trying to understand if you'll don't mind. Does a single or dual coil setup that comes in at say 0.15 ohms use more power than one that comes in at 0.40 ohms or 0.60 ohms, or is it the other way around? What ohm parameters do you'll try to stay in on your builds? I not only have the Lost Vape Therion dna75c BF, 75 watt my Pulse 24 runs on but I also have a Smok Alien 220w mod I run a Smok BigBabyBeast RBA that I have a rebuildable deck for.

Last edited:

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Thanks, Guys, sounds like some very good advice. I'll pick up some kanthal and give your suggestions a shot! I do have a couple other things, I'm trying to understand if you'll don't mind. Does a single or dual coil setup that comes in at say 0.15 ohms use more power than one that comes in at 0.40 ohms or 0.60 ohms, or is it the other way around? What ohm parameters do you'll try to stay in on your builds? I not only have the Lost Vape Therion dna75c BF, 75 watt my Pulse 24 runs on but I also have a Smok Alien 220w mod I run a Smok BigBabyBeast RBA that I have a rebuildable deck for.
With regulated mods, ohms are not really a factor aside from the mods limits.. usually 0.10 low to 3.00 ohm high.
as for power... forget about ohms, resistance has nothing to do with it. Coil mass and material determines how much power is needed. The bigger the coil, the more power is needed. This is for regulated mods of course. Mechanical Mods are different. With mech mods you build to a specific resistance and use various wire type and builds to get that resistance.

You can use http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html?p=roundmulti&r=0.26&hf=300&str=2&awg=26 as a virtual sample coil to test power requirements.
Your coils should run between 280 to 400 mw/mm2 The above sample uses 35w to hit 300 heatflux (mw/mm2)

VU Sponsors