Become a Patron!

N90

Jackvape

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Has anyone out there ever used nichrome 90? I ordered some 30×4+40 nichrome 90 fused clapton wire. I also ordered the same tbing in nichrome 80 to compare the to. I read n90 is good competition wire. Does anyone have any experience with it? I know it ohms slightly lower and heats up quicker. But Id like to hear from someone who's actually used it.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't like it, I get a metallic taste from it like all NiChrome

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
NI is pretty much all I use. Have had some coils with NI90 in them and they are pretty similar in form and function to N80 just with lower resistance. I couldn't use them but for specific applications as the coils i had received made with NI90 were well below my normal operating thresholds.

Jackvape

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
NI is pretty much all I use. Have had some coils with NI90 in them and they are pretty similar in form and function to N80 just with lower resistance. I couldn't use them but for specific applications as the coils i had received made with NI90 were well below my normal operating thresholds.
So n90 ohms a lot lower? Does it ramp up faster?

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
So n90 ohms a lot lower? Does it ramp up faster?

I dont remember the exact numbers but think its something like 1/2. Pretty sure someone will be more than happy to correct me if I am wrong. The coils that I received were about .6ohm per pair which is much too hot and low for me.

Its less resistive than NI80 so it definitely ramps up faster. Its a decent enough choice if you like nichrome and know what you are doing. If you are using a mech be sure you know what you are doing because the "Oh Shit" window gets a lot smaller.

Jackvape

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I dont remember the exact numbers but think its something like 1/2. Pretty sure someone will be more than happy to correct me if I am wrong. The coils that I received were about .6ohm per pair which is much too hot and low for me.

Its less resistive than NI80 so it definitely ramps up faster. Its a decent enough choice if you like nichrome and know what you are doing. If you are using a mech be sure you know what you are doing because the "Oh Shit" window gets a lot smaller.
Im using the Drag 2 and plan on doing 9 wraps. As long as I can get above .2 Im happy.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Might be tough to do unless it is NI90 plus something else. If you are doing dual coils its all NI90 it is going to be very, very low.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I love nichrome wire. I think it tastes better as claptons.

My primary go to is 317L Sandvik SS Fused Claptons, nice clean no metallic taste, NiChrome just kills it for me with the after taste.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Might be tough to do unless it is NI90 plus something else. If you are doing dual coils its all NI90 it is going to be very, very low.

Not too low, being 4x 30g and all
Screenshot_20181125-192742.png

It's close to the resistance of NIP that's two gauges lower

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Not too low, being 4x 30g and all
View attachment 125004

It's close to the resistance of NIP that's two gauges lower

So it would seem I was thinking it was much lower than I thought it was. I knew someone would be by to correct me soon. I may still have some of those coils. Going to go check and see what they are.

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Well most people do a 3mm wrap...(largest precision screwdriver) and 15mm for coil legs (15mm is over 9/16 of an inch. Wow!)? Longest I've ever had was 8mm on my Recurve RSA. The N90 numbers for a 3mm ID coil 8.5 wraps 4x30g wrapped with 40g looks like this for an average coil.
8cc5ee5d34dfdfd6af1a004c28891b38.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jackvape

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
So it would seem I was thinking it was much lower than I thought it was. I knew someone would be by to correct me soon. I may still have some of those coils. Going to go check and see what they are.
Is there a taste difference between n90 and n80?

Jackvape

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Lightning vapes sent me a chart of the exact coils I ordered. A dual 8 wrap on a 3mm the N90 ohms out at .16. The N80 ohms out at .26. So which shud I use. Is the ramp up time on the N90 noticeably or not much diffence? Which tastes better?

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Unfortunately I've not used N90. I find SS316L is similar resistance and so I just use that instead.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Lightning vapes sent me a chart of the exact coils I ordered. A dual 8 wrap on a 3mm the N90 ohms out at .16. The N80 ohms out at .26. So which shud I use. Is the ramp up time on the N90 noticeably or not much diffence? Which tastes better?

.16 is about perfect. You should have a nice vape on that. I went back and looked at mine and they are considerably smaller. 4.5 wraps.

VU Sponsors