Become a Patron!

My vtc mini drains battery while not in use

Adam Paseman

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
At the topics says, I can put a brand-new battery in my vtc mini and Vape it 10 times, and then overnight come back to it and it's got a completely dead battery. This happens every time. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Model_A_Ford

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That sounds terrible. I'm going to test mine and make sure it doesn't drain like that.

vwfan79

Member For 4 Years
Mine doesn't do that, if I go to sleep with a half a battery it still has a half of battery when I get up.
Hope you figure this out.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
What kind of battery & do you know it's in good condition? Have you tried a different battery?

I only vape at home. When I get home, the battery level is right where it was when I set it down the night before.

Last edited:

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If it does it with a different battery, the unit is bad. Hopefully you can return/exchange it. Keep us posted.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Do you turn the it off or leave it on all night? Some will drain the battery if kept on a period of time because the chip is still trying to detect, like a cell phone searching for wifi.

Reactions: Myk

Zr0

Member For 4 Years
I didn't put mine into sleep mode last night, just checked right now: Battery is still fully charged. Try a different battery, and if it still does it return that shizz.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
I didn't put mine into sleep mode last night, just checked right now: Battery is still fully charged. Try a different battery, and if it still does it return that shizz.
Then that eliminates one theory, so yes try another battery.

Reactions: Zr0

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ever since I got mine, I've never put it to sleep, or even turned it off for that matter. I just put it down when I sleep, and when I pick it up to vape in the morning, the battery is exactly the same, no matter which battery I've put in it. Have you been charging the battery through the USB? I never do that, I always use a dedicated external charger. If you have, maybe the overcharge protection circuit failed and now your battery just won't be able top hold a charge for very long anymore. So try a different battery first ( hopefully charged through a proper external charger), and see if it drains. If it does, it's the mod, and needs to be exchanged. If it doesn't, It's the battery, and it needs to be tossed. As a general rule of thumb, all batteries should be charged through a dedicated charger where applicable.

MorpheusPA

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
+1 DED420. I leave mine on overnight constantly, and it's always at the exact same battery voltage (I look occasionally using the Bypass setting to display the batt voltage) the next morning.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
*shrug* I've charged mine thru the USB port two-or-three times. It's my understanding that maximum lifetime from Li-ion cells can be realized by charging them when they are down to at least 60%, but no less than 40%. Rather than swap-around batteries every two-or-three days, I just put it in the USB charger when it looks to be down by a bit better than 1/3 or so.

Adam Paseman

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ya happens with every battery, never charge it through usb. The unit is not new so it's not able to be sent back. Perhaps I'll try reinstalling the firmware see if that helps. Thanks guys.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reinstalling the firmware won't solve the issue. Obviously, something is draining the battery, when it's not supposed to. I'd like to see what happens, when you unscrew the tank, while leaving the unit turned on. If the battery is drained again, there might be something wrong with the wiring. Maybe some slight insulation missing, touching something, somewhere, thus draining the battery. Kind of like a faucet dripping, due to a defective o-ring. If it doesn't drain without the tank, I'm suspecting the 510 connection of the mod having a "leak" (a short in it somewhere).

Adam Paseman

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I will try that. Only reason I thought reinstalling the firmware may change something because the problems seem to occur after the latest firmware

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I would go with the constant polling. Just because someone's doesn't do it doesn't mean yours isn't over-zealous in polling. Reinstalling the firmware wouldn't hurt to try.
Both of mine kept inching the lock in resistance lower. With the latest coil on one it's no longer doing it. Electronics can be odd.

I have had low batteries be dead when I woke up but never nearly full batteries. Other lesser used mods have sat long enough to drain full batteries.

Adam Paseman

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, I attempted to update firmware but when I connect to the computer it won't recognize that its connected :/

I unscrewed the tank from the mod and it doesn't drain the battery-so only when it's connected will it drain. I've noticed my battery life in general has sucked-and now I believe that it is constantly draining the battery while in use regardless of it being vaped or not.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Well, I attempted to update firmware but when I connect to the computer it won't recognize that its connected :/
When I updated mine it took a long time for the updater program to finally notice the mod was connected.

VU Sponsors