Become a Patron!

My top of battery got pushed in

Chris_Lacky

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My top of battery got pushed in when i dropped it down
but it was pushed slightly not very much.
Should i use it?

Attachments

• WP_20170326_004.jpg
    WP_20170326_004.jpg
    552.7 KB · Views: 34

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
to be clear i use mine in regulated mods
i have no clue if this could be something not use in a mech mod

Darth Omerta

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I would recommend replacing the cell as soon as possible. The impact that caused the damage to the POS pin could have done more damage that isnt visible and you would have very little way of knowing until something went wrong. I prefer to err on the side of caution when talking batteries.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I would recommend replacing the cell as soon as possible. The impact that caused the damage to the POS pin could have done more damage that isnt visible and you would have very little way of knowing until something went wrong. I prefer to err on the side of caution when talking batteries.

Yeah agree replace when you have money to do so ;)

Darth Omerta

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Interesting retort.

I dont think its cowardice that drives me to advise against using damaged batteries. I know I certainly dont use any cell with any sort of visible damage and I know the reasons why.

Please enlighten us as to why it is advisable to use damaged cells? What are the advantages?

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
look I have no clue about how batteries are made
But I do know the following
1. I have several batteries that have the top pushed down
2. I used them everyday in regulated mods for many many months with no issues ever
3. When I have rewrapped said batteries and You can clearly see there is some tolerance built into the positive end for damage and movement to occur

Now having said that
I could see that if the damage was so great the battery would have issues. It may not work, it may short . I have no clue but it probably wont work period if you put it in a regulated mod.

SO put it in the mod, see if it turns on, monitor it while using it for a few hours. If nothing odd happens then its probably fine to keep using for quite a while. It would be great to run out and replace every batter that has some damage, But you know what, the mods themselves cause some of the damage.
The positive pins that are stiff like in my ipv 3li actually are the cause of most of mine damage positive ends and I feel my IPV 6 is doing the same thing.

SO use your common sense. These batteries can be dangerous. The manufacturers know this and build them to take SOME limited beating and still function. Think about this. How many of you have dropped you cordless drill batteries that contain 18650s and the like. We all have at some point.Don't you think some of those that you can't see have been damaged slightly and still function just fine.

If you have a positive end pushed in slightly. test it in a mod see if it powers on and watch it closely. If you dont feel comfortable doing that then dispose of it and get a new one.

NO need for all this senseless name calling and bickering. We are all just trying to help each other in the end.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
NO need for all this senseless name calling and bickering. We are all just trying to help each other in the end.
I totally agree but if someone attacks me over a comment that should have passed as nothing more than someones comment
I'm going to respond with an attack back and I'll keep it going as long as the antagonist want's to.

Darth Omerta

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
look I have no clue about how batteries are made
But I do know the following
1. I have several batteries that have the top pushed down
2. I used them everyday in regulated mods for many many months with no issues ever
3. When I have rewrapped said batteries and You can clearly see there is some tolerance built into the positive end for damage and movement to occur

Now having said that
I could see that if the damage was so great the battery would have issues. It may not work, it may short . I have no clue but it probably wont work period if you put it in a regulated mod.

SO put it in the mod, see if it turns on, monitor it while using it for a few hours. If nothing odd happens then its probably fine to keep using for quite a while. It would be great to run out and replace every batter that has some damage, But you know what, the mods themselves cause some of the damage.
The positive pins that are stiff like in my ipv 3li actually are the cause of most of mine damage positive ends and I feel my IPV 6 is doing the same thing.

SO use your common sense. These batteries can be dangerous. The manufacturers know this and build them to take SOME limited beating and still function. Think about this. How many of you have dropped you cordless drill batteries that contain 18650s and the like. We all have at some point.Don't you think some of those that you can't see have been damaged slightly and still function just fine.

If you have a positive end pushed in slightly. test it in a mod see if it powers on and watch it closely. If you dont feel comfortable doing that then dispose of it and get a new one.

My concern stems from my understanding of how these batteries are made and what can go wrong if handled improperly. Most of the cell is negatively charged while only the small isolated post on the top is positive. If enough pressure is applied to indent the positive pin then there is a chance that the "prongs" holding the positive post in place may have been dislodged and runs the risk of causing a short no matter what type of mod its in. Let alone the possibility that it could be applying unnecessary pressure on the venting disk, or cause a hard short without even needing to be connected.

Im not trying to fan the flames of argument or begin any sort of name calling competition. I just dont think its wise to place a visibly damaged cell inside a mod for any reason.

I meant no form of attack to you @Angrygod50 and I wont take responsibility as the aggressor there. I made my statement which stands as is, just because you've done something doesnt make it a good idea. 5 out of 6 people think russian roulette is a great game.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I will agree that there comes a point where the damage is too great to use the battery. But I firmly believe there is room in between, perfect and not usable and from the photo the OP posted it was less damaged then batteries I have and have been using without issues. So As someone stated use it if it works but replace it as soon as possible is good advice. But dont discount the fact that others have more damaged batteries that work fine is useful information. Becuase it sound slike this is the OPs only battery and to stay off teh smokes it is probably safe enough to use until he can replac eit if he uses caution

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I meant no form of attack to you @Angrygod50 and I wont take responsibility as the aggressor there
Yes you did now be a man and admit it.

Had the battery been severely dented I would have told him to trash it but it isn't. Did you even look at the picture before you attacked me?

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Seems to me if the battery was damaged enough to start shorting, then it wouldn't matter if it was placed in the mod or not. It's sitting there all alone doing its own thing melting down.

Use it until you can get another. Just remember, the thing that caused this can make the situation worse if it happens again. Also, the force that damages the battery also risks damaging the mod. I've bent those cheap flat terminals just like this.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've had that happen when I dropped a mod and I had a brand new mod do that because the battery tray was too tight. It dented the battery as soon as I put it in. That was the only battery that went in that mod ever. If you ever wrap or just took one apart you'll see a fair amount of space in there.

Darth Omerta

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Yes you did now be a man and admit it.

Had the battery been severely dented I would have told him to trash it but it isn't. Did you even look at the picture before you attacked me?

It is not an attack to say that just because you do something doesn't make it advisable. I'm sorry you took it that way but it says a whole lot more about your stability and insecurities than it does mine.

I did look at the picture and I have rewrapped many cells. Visible damage to any cell is grounds for not using them and I stand by that statement.

If the logic is that a $7 battery can't be replaced and will cause the person to return to smoking at $13/pack then that is an entirely different conversation.

I can't believe I have to defend my advice NOT to use damaged cells. :facepalm:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Seems to me if the battery was damaged enough to start shorting, then it wouldn't matter if it was placed in the mod or not. It's sitting there all alone doing its own thing melting down.

Use it until you can get another. Just remember, the thing that caused this can make the situation worse if it happens again. Also, the force that damages the battery also risks damaging the mod. I've bent those cheap flat terminals just like this.

I think between us all we can agree on this post :)

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
YEs @kingpin agreed

ANd @Darth Omerta you should reread your comments they are a bit inflammatory even imho. But damaged doesnt mean broken and unusable
also just because the battery is damaged does not make it unusable
Also just because the battery is only $7 doesnt mean everyone has immediate access to a replacement. It sounds to me the OP is just getting started, doesn't have all the extras some of us have. So if that is his only battery which is the impression I got, then yes if it was so damaged it was unusable then he may actually smoke until he gets a new battery which for some people can take a week or more. And cigarettes are not $13 a pack everywhere, I can get them for $5ish a pack in WV

Darth Omerta

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Straight from mooch blog:

• If you see physical damage to the metal top or can of the battery. Things like dents and deep scrapes should not be ignored! A damaged wrap and top insulator ring can be replaced without needing to replace the battery.

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/when-should-you-replace-a-battery.7574/

I will apologize for any comments which have been found to be "inflammatory" but none of them were intended as any sort of attack.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Straight from mooch blog:

• If you see physical damage to the metal top or can of the battery. Things like dents and deep scrapes should not be ignored! A damaged wrap and top insulator ring can be replaced without needing to replace the battery.

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/when-should-you-replace-a-battery.7574/

I will apologize for any comments which have been found to be "inflammatory" but none of them were intended as any sort of attack.

I see nothing wrong with what you said darth no need to defend your position further matey:)

Likewise with the other guys who posted thier thoughts

We can only offer our opinions it's up to the OP to make the final choice with the info provided

Trying to convince each other is often a futile exercise lol

Last edited:

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I think the problem here is people are trying to define a sliding scale of what damage is ok for a device that has a huge energy potential if it becomes internally shorted and goes into thermal runaway. Basically "I whacked it and it's ok." "Well I whacked it even more and it's still ok." "Well I really whacked it and... oh crap. It vented while charging and started a house fire in under 60 seconds."

IMO it's not worth it second guessing battery damage. What you can see is one thing, what happened to the cell internally - well yeah, that you can't see. For the cost of a battery is it really worth hedging a bet? You want to take that bet go ahead. I'm not going to tell someone it's ok to use a damaged battery, especially when it's not my battery and I didn't witness what happened to it.

.02¢

VU Sponsors