Become a Patron!

my notes on FlavourArt Vanilla Classic, Vanilla Tahiti, Vanilla Bourbon

Johnny8s

Member For 4 Years
FA Vanilla Classic, Vanilla Tahiti, and Vanilla Bourbon: 3%

FlavourArt's three vanilla flavors are best discussed as a group. All are roughly the same strength. All are useful as standalone flavors and in recipes. All are vanilla extract type flavors, not sweetened or custard flavors - though they have the natural sweetness and slight creaminess you expect from plain vanilla. All are ideal for different uses. They are quite different flavors; it's like having 3 distinctly different gourmet vanilla extracts in your kitchen.

Vanilla Classic is closest of the three to vanilla extract flavor sold in the U.S., comparable in flavor to Mexican vanilla extract. This is the vanilla flavor Americans know from vanilla ice cream, cake, and popular cookies. Although it's excellent vanilla, many people get only this one -- and miss out by never trying the other two.

Vanilla Tahiti is the flavor of Tahitian vanilla extract. It's a bright vanilla flavor with light fruitiness, just like real Tahitian vanilla extract. Some people may detect a note of almond as well. This is the sweetest of FA's vanillas. It's usually the best one to choose with fresh fruit flavors, especially mild fruits. Bold or 'dark' flavors can overwhelm it, so it's best used either with light fruit flavors or in recipes that include vanilla as a main ingredient. It's just as strongly-flavored as the others when vaped standalone, but it's more easily lost if it's just an accent flavor.

Vanilla Bourbon is richer, darker, bolder vanilla - the flavor of Madagascar vanilla extract. This is NOT the flavor of bourbon alcohol! Although it can be a little too prominent for light fruit flavors, Vanilla Bourbon adds excellent gourmet vanilla flavor to just about anything else. It's more complex than Vanilla Classic and more versatile than Vanilla Tahiti. Vanilla Bourbon is often the best choice in coffees, dark tobaccos, dark fruits, rich bakery flavors, and as a noticeable hint of vanilla in most complex recipes.

If you're adding vanilla to light fruits, go with Vanilla Tahiti first. If you're duplicating vanilla-flavored American foods, you need Vanilla Classic. For bold vanilla flavor, start with Vanilla Bourbon.

But don't stop there! Often times a mix of two or all three will be ideal. You'll make better recipes if you have all three to work with.

Definitely try each one standalone to get a good idea of each flavor before using them in recipes. Either try them each standalone at 3% or use each at 2-3% with 1% FA Fresh Cream.
Thanks, HIC. Not just for your notes here but for all of them. They come in so handy for a newb like me.

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As personal preferences go, I LOVE vanillas! I love vanilla classic standalone at 3% as well as mixed with a little Vienna cream!

Vanilla bourbon standalone didn't work for me but adding equal amounts of fresh cream & meringue .5-.75% and very good! In fact a favorite vape of mine...

started playing with Tahiti and I interesting standalone...was fearful because I have had pre made e juice from venders with almond and I did not care for it, but this is good especially with fruit. I added 4 drops of Tahiti, 2 drops of fresh cream, 2 drops of pomegranate. 2 drops of Fuji, & 1 drop of forest fruit to my 5 ml. Tank which had a tiny bit of a Vienna cream mixture and bam! Delicious! I will try to recreate Vienna mix and write this down and post because it's so good! On the inhale it tastes sweet & a nice fruity blend. Smooth and creamy on day 2 with a rich creamy buttery taste as well!

Last edited:

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I really enjoy having all 3 to work with, too.
I'll be watching for your Forest Fruit-apple-pom recipe!
Well I'm playing around with it today. I've been reading through the puevapes flavourart thread...on about page 50 now. I have taken notes...lots of wonderful information as well as humor! I call it vaping chicken soup for the soul! I recall reading posts from I think Huck and you on the lines of Vienna cream + ap + walnut & or coconut create a creamy butter. I have no walnut nor coconut so I used hazelnut. Not caring for results I had some caramel & possibly meringue, vanilla classic or bourbon. Still didn't taste right...more base added and then through in the Tahiti & fruit and bam! In a 10 ml. Base I added 4 drops Vienna, 1 drop hazelnut, 1 drop acetyl pyrazine, 1 drop caramel, 2 drops of meringue. Then doubled fruit & Tahiti drops to bring 5 ml. To 10ml. Will test tomorrow. All are fa except tfa ap. Not sure on % as my flavoring bottled are the 5 ml. From e liquidmart. Must measure drops in syringe.

Nanfoe

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
As personal preferences go, I LOVE vanillas! I love vanilla classic standalone at 3% as well as mixed with a little Vienna cream!

Vanilla bourbon standalone didn't work for me but adding equal amounts of fresh cream & meringue .5-.75% and very good! In fact a favorite vape of mine...

started playing with Tahiti and I interesting standalone...was fearful because I have had pre made e juice from venders with almond and I did not care for it, but this is good especially with fruit. I added 4 drops of Tahiti, 2 drops of fresh cream, 2 drops of pomegranate. 2 drops of Fuji, & 1 drop of forest fruit to my 5 ml. Tank which had a tiny bit of a Vienna cream mixture and bam! Delicious! I will try to recreate Vienna mix and write this down and post because it's so good! On the inhale it tastes sweet & a nice fruity blend. Smooth and creamy on day 2 with a rich creamy buttery taste as well!

If you like Vanilla (like I do) try boiling down some pure Vanilla extract. You'll love it ! I bought a quart bottle, now I have Vanilla forever ! !

Anus Braun

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
FA Vanilla Classic, Vanilla Tahiti, and Vanilla Bourbon: 3%

FlavourArt's three vanilla flavors are best discussed as a group. All are roughly the same strength. All are useful as standalone flavors and in recipes. All are vanilla extract type flavors, not sweetened or custard flavors - though they have the natural sweetness and slight creaminess you expect from plain vanilla. All are ideal for different uses. They are quite different flavors; it's like having 3 distinctly different gourmet vanilla extracts in your kitchen.

Vanilla Classic is closest of the three to vanilla extract flavor sold in the U.S., comparable in flavor to Mexican vanilla extract. This is the vanilla flavor Americans know from vanilla ice cream, cake, and popular cookies. Although it's excellent vanilla, many people get only this one -- and miss out by never trying the other two.

Vanilla Tahiti is the flavor of Tahitian vanilla extract. It's a bright vanilla flavor with light fruitiness, just like real Tahitian vanilla extract. Some people may detect a note of almond as well. This is the sweetest of FA's vanillas. It's usually the best one to choose with fresh fruit flavors, especially mild fruits. Bold or 'dark' flavors can overwhelm it, so it's best used either with light fruit flavors or in recipes that include vanilla as a main ingredient. It's just as strongly-flavored as the others when vaped standalone, but it's more easily lost if it's just an accent flavor.

Vanilla Bourbon is richer, darker, bolder vanilla - the flavor of Madagascar vanilla extract. This is NOT the flavor of bourbon alcohol! Although it can be a little too prominent for light fruit flavors, Vanilla Bourbon adds excellent gourmet vanilla flavor to just about anything else. It's more complex than Vanilla Classic and more versatile than Vanilla Tahiti. Vanilla Bourbon is often the best choice in coffees, dark tobaccos, dark fruits, rich bakery flavors, and as a noticeable hint of vanilla in most complex recipes.

If you're adding vanilla to light fruits, go with Vanilla Tahiti first. If you're duplicating vanilla-flavored American foods, you need Vanilla Classic. For bold vanilla flavor, start with Vanilla Bourbon.

But don't stop there! Often times a mix of two or all three will be ideal. You'll make better recipes if you have all three to work with.

Definitely try each one standalone to get a good idea of each flavor before using them in recipes. Either try them each standalone at 3% or use each at 2-3% with 1% FA Fresh Cream.
I used to eat, and smoke simultaneously...I gotta figure out a perma-blend, of Newport King, vanilla, and chocolate...with jest a HINT of the mint.

Anus Braun

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If you like Vanilla (like I do) try boiling down some pure Vanilla extract. You'll love it ! I bought a quart bottle, now I have Vanilla forever ! !
I'd given that idea fleeting thought...thanks !!!

Laughmore

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I asked FA UK about what I perceived to be "a mistake" in the nomenclature for vanillas on the UK site (links in the quote), since they are at odds with what HIC's is saying and what I've believed as well - Bourbon is Madagascar. Bourbon Island is in Madagascar, right?
Bourbon and Classic are the names of the FlavourArt vanillas...
Madagascar (Vanilla Classic)
Bourbon (Vanilla Bourbon)
Our correspondence:
My email with FA said:
ME:
I learned the names “Bourbon” and “Madagascar” have an island
in common, today named “Réunion.” The UK site has each listed
separately as a vanilla flavor. I understand the term “classic”
can vary by region, so can you tell me which 3 vanillas correspond to
which flavor concentrates posted on the UK site?

Flavors on UK site - Bourbon (Vanilla Bourbon), Madagascar Vanilla
(Vanilla Classic), Vanilla Tahiti

Vanillas - v. planifolia, v. tahitensis, v. pompona

There is uncertainty in some forum discussion that this information
could clear up. Thank you for your time and delicious, accurate
flavors!

Best Regards,
(Laughmore)

THEM:
Hi (Laughmore), Madagascar (Vanilla Classic) and Vanilla Bourbon flavourings are variations on the same theme;
Classic is a sweet, simple Vanilla, while Bourbon has woody and spicy notes to it. Vanilla Tahiti is
quite different and has the almond undertones that give it such a distinctive flavour.
It is a similar concept with Apple, we have Apple Stark and Apple Fuji, both are Apple flavours but each has its
own signature notes to it.

For eliquid use, it is a question of what kind of flavour you wish to impart, particularly when blending flavours.
I use all three Vanillas in different blends and it depends on whether I want to add a sweet, nutty note using
Tahity, the slightly spicy flavour of Bourbon which is nice with Custard blends, or Classic for a clean, sweet
flavour that doesn’t overpower the more subtle ones.

I must admit I have been vaping for just on six and a half years, working with flavourings for over four years,
and I haven’t been asked a question quite like this one. The greatest pleasure I find is in experimenting with
flavourings to try and create new blends that I feel are worthy to pass on to others; many ideas and recipes
never reach fruition, but when one does hit the sweet spot it is a wonderful feeling.
If you are blending your own flavours, assess them by using them and discovering the subtle differences
between the flavours and how they react with others; it is a process that requires a great deal of patience
and it usually takes me around 3 to 6 months to develop a blend from idea to market stage.
The Flavorist is the maestro who creates the tools that I can work with, I am only a part-time blender, a mixologist,
but I am fortunate enough to be able to indulge in my passion every day and make a living from it.
Names are not as important as how something tastes, or how good it is for blending, enjoy the discovery.
Whatever you do, don’t ask the creator of Monkey Jizz if he extracts the flavour himself ;)

Best wishes,
John Chamley
Director at That’s Nice Limited T/A FlavourArt UK
UK Distributor for FlavourArt srl Italy
I had kind of assumed the 3 FA vanillas were supposed to be flavor-representative of the 3 vanilla varieties, but he swerves any association with the 3 species of vanillas. His commentary on spice notes and vanilla usage is of course priceless, but my question hangs in the breeze.

Sadly there's an angry 10 year old in me that thinks if the issue was given more attention, they'd at least acknowledge the discrepancy instead of the fact the world is a mysterious place... I was a difficult child.

Last edited:

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I used to have a ADV e-juice that was vanilla only. However, it wasn't doing well in RDAs or sub ohm tanks. How are those flavors holding up in a high VG juice under those conditions?

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but if you explain here or start a new thread over here: http://vapingunderground.com/forums/diy-e-liquid-general-discussion.48/ one of us will do our best to help.
I have been vaping for about 1 1/2 yrs now and used to smoke over a pack a day for 20 years....vamping has given me my life back and I love it....my problem is that I'm a mother of 2 and have recently been laid off of my job and i have tried hundreds of different juices but, unfortunately I started vaping Monster (or Mega) Melon by Cuttwood and it is the ONLY juice i can vape and not get physically ill!! I know y'all probably think I'm nuts but, I am very serious. My problem is now I can no longer afford to buy it because I am going through a 30 ml 3%NIC bottle every 2 days and it is ridiculously expensive....Can you please help give me some ideas and advice on what I can get or make to be as close as possible to the "Real Thing"? Anything would help I appreciate your help so much!

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

MrJojo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have been vaping for about 1 1/2 yrs now and used to smoke over a pack a day for 20 years....vamping has given me my life back and I love it....my problem is that I'm a mother of 2 and have recently been laid off of my job and i have tried hundreds of different juices but, unfortunately I started vaping Monster (or Mega) Melon by Cuttwood and it is the ONLY juice i can vape and not get physically ill!! I know y'all probably think I'm nuts but, I am very serious. My problem is now I can no longer afford to buy it because I am going through a 30 ml 3%NIC bottle every 2 days and it is ridiculously expensive....Can you please help give me some ideas and advice on what I can get or make to be as close as possible to the "Real Thing"? Anything would help I appreciate your help so much!

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk
What kind of ratio PG/VG liquid are you using? Many people become allergic to PG? Could that possibly be it? What device are you using to vape? Maybe up the Nicotine to 6 mg? We can go on all day but you need to put specifics of what you want and problem is????

VU Sponsors