Become a Patron!

My mysterious cough!

meloserj

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hello mates

Below is a short story of my mysterious cough, please if someone finds a clue about it let me know as doctors in Kuwait couldn't diagnose what it really is. Thanks for your time for reading this.

Living 7 years in Kuwait, never smoked cigarettes regularly (just in pubs and occasions and not more than 3), came to Kuwait and start having Hookah sometimes in cafes. Nearly 2 years back start knowing benefits of vaping and switched. Started with istick40W with mouth to lung atomizer and slowly moved forward. Now I have my Griffin 22, Limitless classic, Tsunami 24, Black widow, TM24 and Goon with my devices Wismec DNA200, 200S and Rigmod V3. E-liquid brands are Vaporfi, Vapewild, MT Baker, Elements, FAR mostly maxvg.
The first year I got no problem and happily vaping. A year ago I went out with friends and sit outside where there was a dusty day. We vape and came back, and 2 days later I start pain in my chest and cough. So I was thinking this is a normal infection, went to doctor, got some antibiotics and cough gone after 7 days. with one week without cough and of course 2 weeks without vaping, cough came back and stronger. I went again to doctor and X-ray didn't show anything. Again medicine and no result this time. Inhalers didn't help. Cough happened strong and sometimes mild, no matter vape or not. For 5 months the same went on.
I traveled to USA and there was no significant change in my cough. But when return after a month from vacation, I got flu and I could hear my lungs noises. Phlegm came out and cough disappeared! For 2 weeks no signs and I start vaping again. After 2 more weeks again cough started. I went to doctor, did HIV test, took CT-Scan and no signs!
So now its about 10 months I have this cough. No matter what juice I am using its there. sometimes strong and sometimes mild. I just noticed when I am using strong menthol it is ok for a day or two.
Anybody had same symptoms like me? Doctors are unable to understand what is my problem, and I did quit for a period but didn't help.
Thanks in advance for reading this and hopefully someone could give me a hint.

Cheers

Argie3

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This sounds awful and hope it is not something serious...
Speedy recovery is all I can say...

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Have they done any cardiac workup? There are some heart conditions - like an arrhythmia - that can cause a chronic, somewhat random cough.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Like what khassy said
MRI
CT SCAN
go see a PULMONOLOGIST good luck!

I

meloserj

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You've seen 4 PULMONOLOGIST?

I
2 of them, one allergy expert and one heart expert, so yeah until now 4 doctors diagnosed me. Even I just visited an ENT to make sure nothing is in my sinuses. And strange thing is that last week one of my friend's told me he started the same coughing symptoms. I am waiting to see how he progress.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
"Could be sarcoidosis. Or lupus. Or some other strange, random, extremely rare disease that no one ever gets but we can cure by giving you a glass of orange juice."

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
2 of them, one allergy expert and one heart expert, so yeah until now 4 doctors diagnosed me. Even I just visited an ENT to make sure nothing is in my sinuses. And strange thing is that last week one of my friend's told me he started the same coughing symptoms. I am waiting to see how he progress.

A PULMONOLOGIST will order a
Sputum sample!
Blood test!
Ct scan!
Bronchoscopy
If all that are done!
See an ONCOLOGIST?!

I

Last edited:

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Is there any talk among you guys about being exposed to anything over there? I remember all the problems that came up after Desert Storm and what military personnel were exposed to in that one. (But the exposures were more obvious in that case.)

meloserj

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Is there any talk among you guys about being exposed to anything over there? I remember all the problems that came up after Desert Storm and what military personnel were exposed to in that one. (But the exposures were more obvious in that case.)
This was a dusty day, south of Kuwait, in Fahaheel area. We sit outside and although I complained for the dusty weather, my friends called me "Sissy"
Exactly after that damn day I faced this. I never gone more than 3 mg nic, sometimes even 0 mg. And don't have any allergy to PG or VG

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
This was a dusty day, south of Kuwait, in Fahaheel area. We sit outside and although I complained for the dusty weather, my friends called me "Sissy"
Exactly after that damn day I faced this. I never gone more than 3 mg nic, sometimes even 0 mg. And don't have any allergy to PG or VG

Well there's this:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3960758/

You could be having problems from dust exposure. (Not talking the household kind of dust here.) It would explain why the cough just doesn't disappear quickly when you leave the environment for a couple weeks.

As far as your MD's not wanting to diagnose it? That would be a whole 'nother chapter to cover. But you should read that nih article and maybe ask some questions. It's not a matter of 'simple' allergy tests that would reveal anything.

meloserj

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well there's this:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3960758/

You could be having problems from dust exposure. (Not talking the household kind of dust here.) It would explain why the cough just doesn't disappear quickly when you leave the environment for a couple weeks.

As far as your MD's not wanting to diagnose it? That would be a whole 'nother chapter to cover. But you should read that nih article and maybe ask some questions. It's not a matter of 'simple' allergy tests that would reveal anything.
Very useful document. Thanks a lot buddy for sharing. I will try to share this with my doctors here. Just I hope I can come back to normal life and enjoy my time with family and friends. And of course continue my vaping because it really helped me to get rid of Hookah. You know its a tradition here to have Hookah in cafes and homes. At least I am spreading a good message in my community to stop it and cigarette and move to safer solutions

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Not an MD so I don't want you to get worried or anything. It just that if this is the source of the problem the big thing that needs to be done is stopping the exposure. That's probably a bigass life decision thing staring you in the face. Best of luck with sorting this out.

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
"Could be sarcoidosis. Or lupus. Or some other strange, random, extremely rare disease that no one ever gets but we can cure by giving you a glass of orange juice."

A good friend has lupus and wishes it was as easy as a glass of OJ..it isn't, he's all messed up.

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Dust mites?
The phlegm you mentioned, was it pinkish? Ever get slightly dizzy?
Have a handy oximeter? Get your doc to check your oxygen saturation levels.
If your oxy is low and the phlegm is pinkish, and especially if you retain liquids
and/or put on weight mysteriously
you might have your doc give you a sleep test..might be sleep apnea.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I would also seek a upper endoscope. Any possibility of GERD? Sometimes Gerd can mask itself. However, cough is noted with some people. It looks like you had a CAT scan so cancer may be ruled out. Have you had a TB blood test done? (QuantiFERON®-TB.).

meloserj

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I would also seek a upper endoscope. Any possibility of GERD? Sometimes Gerd can mask itself. However, cough is noted with some people. It looks like you had a CAT scan so cancer may be ruled out. Have you had a TB blood test done? (QuantiFERON®-TB.).
No TB found in my tests. This was actually what I was worried because Kuwait has lots of expats from south east Asia and they usually have new forms of TB. But nothing showed in my tests. Also I used some anti acid tablets as one doctor was guessing that may be fluids of my stomach came up. But it also didn't help

meloserj

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Dust mites?
The phlegm you mentioned, was it pinkish? Ever get slightly dizzy?
Have a handy oximeter? Get your doc to check your oxygen saturation levels.
If your oxy is low and the phlegm is pinkish, and especially if you retain liquids
and/or put on weight mysteriously
you might have your doc give you a sleep test..might be sleep apnea.
No dear, not seen any blood as the phlegm are transparent. I did breath test to check the capacity of my lungs and the test figure showed 104%.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No TB found in my tests. This was actually what I was worried because Kuwait has lots of expats from south east Asia and they usually have new forms of TB. But nothing showed in my tests. Also I used some anti acid tablets as one doctor was guessing that may be fluids of my stomach came up. But it also didn't help
I would recommend a endoscope. It can determine if there is any caustic factors by looking down your esophagus going as far as the upper small intestine. What type of TB blood test was performed? Or just the sub dermal one? The blood test is the best.
P.S. Antacid tablets didn't help for me.
Get checked out for Helicobacter pylori.

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No dear, not seen any blood as the phlegm are transparent. I did breath test to check the capacity of my lungs and the test figure showed 104%.
Good, but I didn't say bloody sputum, I said pinkish, ever so very slightly..
I'm assuming you know the symptoms of sleep apnea AND congestive heart failure which
undiagnosed apnea can lead to so,
The phlegm again, is it jelly like as opposed to plain snot?
Seen any chemtrails lately?
If all is well I would look into dustmites. Be well.
Regards,
Mr. HazyShades ;)

PS. @Artemis is in a position to give you better medical advice than the rest of us vapers..

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you think it might be vaping related, quit vaping for 3-6 months and see what happens.

If you are afraid you are going to die in that time (doubtful) then keep seeing doctors. Doctors are not saviors, but forums are not going to help much except make you more anxious.

What I find strange is that you got an HIV test.

Last edited:

meloserj

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If you think it might be vaping related, quit vaping for 3-6 months and see what happens.

If you are afraid you are going to die in that time (doubtful) then keep seeing doctors. Doctors are not saviors, but forums are not going to help much except make you more anxious.

What I find strange is that you got an HIV test.
Because I was afraiding if my body immune system got problem, so I urged doctor to prescribe me HIV 1&2 test although I was sure I didn't had any sexual activity outside family.
I did quit for some weeks, but as you suggest may be I need to quit longer time.
Thanks a lot for your suggestion dear

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
tumblr_o4e365volr1u0lsq8o1_250_zpsxztjjfqy.gif

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Because I was afraiding if my body immune system got problem, so I urged doctor to prescribe me HIV 1&2 test although I was sure I didn't had any sexual activity outside family.
I did quit for some weeks, but as you suggest may be I need to quit longer time.
Thanks a lot for your suggestion dear

It is always a good idea to have an HIV test just in case...even if you haven't had any sexual activity "outside of family"
(BTW jokers, the new definition of family includes spouse, lover, members of a common group, ETC see: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/family )
especially if you feel your immune system has been compromised.
For example, I was contaminated with hepatitis at the blood bank when in college while donating plasma. I was given back somebody's blood stuff instead of mine by mistake. That well could have been HIV instead of Hep.

Moreover, in the aftermath of hurricane Andrew a lady who was so grateful for a favor I did for her ..had sex with me
and gave me a UTI...I thought she might have given me the clap (gonorrhea) and my doctor gave me the test for clap but at the same time gave me the penicillin shots AND the test for HIV just in case.
Better safe than sorry. I'm sure the members of the VU vaping family meant no harm with their comments..

Regards,
Hazy

meloserj

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It is always a good idea to have an HIV test just in case...even if you haven't had any sexual activity "outside of family"

Better safe than sorry. I'm sure the members of the VU vaping family meant no harm with their comments..

Hats off dear, I wonder why people Troll when there is serious discussion?!?! At least you should take care of yourself and others who live with you. Testing for HIV is not a crime and as you mentioned when you get no results from medication then you can start suspecting to everything.

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hats off dear, I wonder why people Troll when there is serious discussion?!?! At least you should take care of yourself and others who live with you. Testing for HIV is not a crime and as you mentioned when you get no results from medication then you can start suspecting to everything.
Wishing you the best of health, Serj.
Nostrovia Tovarich, :)
Hazy

Last edited:
Hello mates

Below is a short story of my mysterious cough, please if someone finds a clue about it let me know as doctors in Kuwait couldn't diagnose what it really is. Thanks for your time for reading this.

Living 7 years in Kuwait, never smoked cigarettes regularly (just in pubs and occasions and not more than 3), came to Kuwait and start having Hookah sometimes in cafes. Nearly 2 years back start knowing benefits of vaping and switched. Started with istick40W with mouth to lung atomizer and slowly moved forward. Now I have my Griffin 22, Limitless classic, Tsunami 24, Black widow, TM24 and Goon with my devices Wismec DNA200, 200S and Rigmod V3. E-liquid brands are Vaporfi, Vapewild, MT Baker, Elements, FAR mostly maxvg.
The first year I got no problem and happily vaping. A year ago I went out with friends and sit outside where there was a dusty day. We vape and came back, and 2 days later I start pain in my chest and cough. So I was thinking this is a normal infection, went to doctor, got some antibiotics and cough gone after 7 days. with one week without cough and of course 2 weeks without vaping, cough came back and stronger. I went again to doctor and X-ray didn't show anything. Again medicine and no result this time. Inhalers didn't help. Cough happened strong and sometimes mild, no matter vape or not. For 5 months the same went on.
I traveled to USA and there was no significant change in my cough. But when return after a month from vacation, I got flu and I could hear my lungs noises. Phlegm came out and cough disappeared! For 2 weeks no signs and I start vaping again. After 2 more weeks again cough started. I went to doctor, did HIV test, took CT-Scan and no signs!
So now its about 10 months I have this cough. No matter what juice I am using its there. sometimes strong and sometimes mild. I just noticed when I am using strong menthol it is ok for a day or two.
Anybody had same symptoms like me? Doctors are unable to understand what is my problem, and I did quit for a period but didn't help.
Thanks in advance for reading this and hopefully someone could give me a hint.

Cheers

I am a 50 year old female and I have vaped for 3 years thinking it was safe I had quit smoking cigarettes 10 years before that I had always liked to smoke and thought this was a Safe way to enjoy something that I have liked with no effects well I was wrong I have since had to have my gallbladder removed and appendix and I have pain in my chest at times too and I will tell you I believe it's vapor related I have quit cold turkey I am not about to risk my life anymore for this I feel terrible that this has happened but I am not going to do that ever again.

VU Sponsors