Become a Patron!

My Coil Is Too Hot

Firestorm

Member For 4 Years
Ideally you have a multimeter or a dedicated ohm meter that you can use to determine the resistance, but no, the longer the resistance wire (i.e., the more wraps) the higher the resistance (ohms) will be.

Blade

Member For 4 Years
Ideally you have a multimeter or a dedicated ohm meter that you can use to determine the resistance, but no, the longer the resistance wire (i.e., the more wraps) the higher the resistance (ohms) will be.
So I should increase the number of wraps? Sorry I'm still a noob and I don't have an ohm reader yet.

Not Sure

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
yes, the more wraps the "cooler" it will be. you also need to watch some videos on youtube or anywhere else as to adjusting your build with tweezers or pliers so it glows from the inside to outside & getting rid of hotspots. steam-engine.org is a good calculator, i hit most of my builds dead on with it. are you using a mech or a regulated mod? as your new, id be building a little higher than what you seem to be building...

Blade

Member For 4 Years
yes, the more wraps the "cooler" it will be. you also need to watch some videos on youtube or anywhere else as to adjusting your build with tweezers or pliers so it glows from the inside to outside & getting rid of hotspots. steam-engine.org is a good calculator, i hit most of my builds dead on with it. are you using a mech or a regulated mod? as your new, id be building a little higher than what you seem to be building...
Thank You

Cloudboss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
More wraps will mean cooler les wraps will be hotter. Also thicker wire or thicker wraps will also make a cooler coil. I just built a cool .4 coil on my mech so I can vape this high nic juice I bought
a35190b147ab1660b2cf6c76d1cc20e6.jpg

Last edited:

Victor Erivez

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
IVE had similar issue with my old clone mod.... i was using 26g wire and it worked great i tried to go down to 22 and the button was getting super hot so i needed to use the 26g wire

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I also might add good airflow helps with a cooler vape..My builds are low .12-.15 ohms that can be too hot but I make sure they are placed in the deck close to and directly in front of the airflow slots in the cap..Most of my RDAs have adjustable airflow which I always run wide open on my drippers... Just sayin..

sent from my Droid Maxx via Tapatalk

Blade

Member For 4 Years
More wraps will mean cooler les wraps will be hotter. Also thicker wire or thicker wraps will also make a cooler coil. I just built a cool .4 coil on my mech so I can vape this high nic juice I bought
a35190b147ab1660b2cf6c76d1cc20e6.jpg
I'm not running close to that lol. I'm just using a simple MT3 mini Protank clone with a single coil. I added 2 wraps and ended up with a 7 wrap coil using 30 gauge wire and now everything is gravy.

Silent Solution

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I used to have problems with my attys or my mech mods getting hot as well. Its all in how you build and place your coils in relation to each other and to the airflow. (If I am wrong someone please correct me). I use 24 gauge and I almost always end up with .16-.18.I like a nice warm vape, but I not this hot. (Too hot for me, and it was making my mod warm as well) Before a buddy showed me about coil placement, I would just slap a build on my rda, squeeze out the hot spots, wick and vape. I brought my little boy rda to my friend at a local vape shop and he rebuilt it for me using the same gauge and wraps I was using, as well as the same ID. Came out exactly .16-.17 and it was so much cooler! I told him how I built mine and all he did was adjust the coils up or down (so the airflow was hitting the coils immediately) Made a huge difference. So, now when I build I make sure the coil is gonna wind up right where the airflow is gonna hit. I thought I was doing it right as the airflow seemed to be hitting the coils. Heck, I could even see the coils right through the holes. Anyways, enough rambling, here is a pic. (24 gauge, 5 wraps, .16 ohms ) (and if I am wrong on any of these things, someone please correct me)

Attachments

• 24gauge5:4wrap.JPG
    24gauge5:4wrap.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 25

Cloudboss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Definitely, if you can see your coils through your air holes you are doing something right!

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
d6b500ad17bd7c34bc9548533e4ee5b0.jpg

Also I try to do my builds as close to center of the deck as possible...(some call it a center post build)..... this also helps me with a cooler vape aiming those airhole slots for the center of each coil on both sides of the cap...it also let's me get the tail of the cotton wicks the same on each side too..

sent from my Droid Maxx via Tapatalk

juicy76

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Look like a good start for you being new. Imo..... Try loosening the center screw and evening up your coils. Spacing helps on resistance.. Resistance helps with regulating how cool your vape is... But hands down great job and keep at it. Please let me know all of the long timers if I am explaining it wrong as I don't want to misguide a new vaper.

Blade

Member For 4 Years
Look like a good start for you being new. Imo..... Try loosening the center screw and evening up your coils. Spacing helps on resistance.. Resistance helps with regulating how cool your vape is... But hands down great job and keep at it. Please let me know all of the long timers if I am explaining it wrong as I don't want to misguide a new vaper.
I added 2 more wraps to my coils and now everything is gravy. Thanks. :D

juicy76

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Cool good to hear that all worked out for you... Just remember to watch all the little things and you will get better at being an artist of our culture.. Good thing to look at would be a few of the coil build contests for presentation, wicking, resistance so most important thing to keep in mind is....... Safty

VU Sponsors