MVP2 Ego threading

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Super stoked, my MVP2 (and full sized nautilus) arrived today about an hour ago. Everything checks out as legit, so that was a relief. But, the first tank I tried to screw on the MVP wouldn't read the ohms or recognize and fire. The clearo is just a kanger T2 ego style. I re-threaded it three or four times, and finally after torquing it down tighter than I like to, it finally reads.

Is this a normal thing with the ego threads or are mine messed up? I mean, I don't mind tightening my ego tanks down, but I've always been told to only go to "finger tight". This is a bit further than that, for sure. Also should probably note that I've not used a standard ego style before, only used an adapter with my iStick.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Dude, never torque them down!

IMHO, you would have been much better off using a standard 510/eGo adapter and not the one for the Istick (there have been some complaints about those.

Any good B&M should be able to sell you one for $5 and you can get them online for less.

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Got it. Well I won't do that again then for sure :) I don't think I damaged the threading at least.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Super stoked, my MVP2 (and full sized nautilus) arrived today about an hour ago. Everything checks out as legit, so that was a relief. But, the first tank I tried to screw on the MVP wouldn't read the ohms or recognize and fire. The clearo is just a kanger T2 ego style. I re-threaded it three or four times, and finally after torquing it down tighter than I like to, it finally reads.

Is this a normal thing with the ego threads or are mine messed up? I mean, I don't mind tightening my ego tanks down, but I've always been told to only go to "finger tight". This is a bit further than that, for sure. Also should probably note that I've not used a standard ego style before, only used an adapter with my iStick.
Try just gently pulling up on the center pin on the MVP

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If I do that, will the 510 connection be more loose in general, and require pulling it up often? That's what I worry.

I'm going to look for an ego to ego/510 adapter I think, either way, so that I have something that I can discard if I kill the threading.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
If I do that, will the 510 connection be more loose in general, and require pulling it up often? That's what I worry.

I'm going to look for an ego to ego/510 adapter I think, either way, so that I have something that I can discard if I kill the threading.
No... not if your gentle. This is a common problem with 510 connections. Some clearos/tanks sit lower, and when screwed on too tightly it pushes the pin down. Then, just like in your example... the next thing you put on won't fire because its not making contact with the pin.

Just pull up very gently til you can tell it's raised up some. 9/10 times this fixes the non-fire issue.

Vaperjim

Not here for the Drama!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have two MVPs, they both have non-working 510 connections. First one quit working after 3 months, second didn't even last a month. After that, I swore to never buy Innokin again. Decided only mods with great reviews, happily vaping a Provari and a Reo now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have only one brand of tank that won't fire on my MVP. Smok ARO 2. I really like this little tank, but hate fiddling with the center pin too much. I only use it on a back up, half-dead ego now. I've tried using adapters for that tank and it makes no difference. Wasn't super expensive, not a huge deal, just inconvenient.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have two MVPs, they both have non-working 510 connections. First one quit working after 3 months, second didn't even last a month. After that, I swore to never buy Innokin again. Decided only mods with great reviews, happily vaping a Provari and a Reo now.

Nothing wrong with Innokin IMO. Yes, the 510's on the MVP are weak, but everyone knows that.
However, I have an original SVD from their first run over a year and a half ago. It's been dropped, fallen over countless times, etc. Still works fine.

If you are rough on gear, then ya..ProV and Reo are probably the way to go.

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think this will work: https://www.myvaporstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=EGO-EGO&CartID=1

It also has an adjustable screw to make sure you get connection, if you've had troubles with adapters before. I'm going to try it and see if it works out :) If it does, it'll save my brand new MVP from being stripped or having the center pin pushed down far, at least until the adapter gets stripped!

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure MVP2 gets great reviews, although the 510 connection issue is commonly stated alongside the great reviews. I just didn't expect to have an issue on DAY 1.

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Also, could this be what's "catching" when I try to thread that clearo on the MVP?

eYdjfR8.jpg

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That's what the one I have kind of looks like in the base. It's way deeper than the other tanks I have. I'm only using a protank 2 or mini's on mine. They work, though.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Anytime I tried pulling the positive pin on the tank a little, the coil would no longer work. Shame. Good little tank, while it worked. I love what you did with your MVP. That's very cool.

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
An EGO to EGO adapter worked perfectly. Adds more height (like any adapter) but protects both the ego threading and the 510 threading (more with the 510 since it isn't using those threads at all) and the center pin while giving a smooth transition (unlike the 510 to Ego adapters, which while they work, look funky sitting so high AND use the 510 threads which are reportedly weak.) Really happy with that fix, and now I can use my ego tanks without any hassle. The ego to ego adapters also have an adjustable screw so that you can make sure you get connection. Just great!

VU Sponsors