MTL Squonking

Discussion in 'General Rebuildable Discussion (RTA/RBA/RDA)' started by EdwinBetz, Jan 15, 2019.

1. EdwinBetz

EdwinBetz New Member ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    I traded a friend of mine a cheap RDA for a VandyVape Simple Ex kit. My original idea was to sell it on eBay, but I decided to try it out. I bought some Cream of the Crop salt nic and installed the 1.2ohm premade coil included in the kit. After wicking it, wetting the cotton, and filling the bottle I gave it a try. To my surprise, it was actually pretty good. This is the first MTL setup I've ever tried and I liked it.

My dilemma is....how the he'll do I make a high resistance coil??? The damn mod will only read .8ohm or higher. The highest I have been able to get is .5 ohm. I am used to regular RDA builds but not MTL. How can I increase the resistance of my coils? I have a range of wire gauges from 30g to 24g. Someone please help. The MTL is a nice change up.

2. JuicyLucy

JuicyLucy My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years VU Challenge Team ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Just build higher resistance coils - MTL squonking is my mainstay, .8 - 1. ohm is my preference, and I never vape below .5, I just don't like anything about it

Consult steam engine using the resistance you are looking for

I generally vape AVS SS wire, their 32x3 fused Clapton wire is my fave, but often just use 28 g round wire, especially for double coil squonk builds

Troy44, inspects and jinx'd like this.
  3. Ralph_K

Ralph_K Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    You can try using Kanthal or NI80 instead of SS. 2.5 id 24ga kanthal round wire should put you a little over .8 ohms

4. JuicyLucy

JuicyLucy My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years VU Challenge Team ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Why not SS?

He should use whatever wire he already has and enjoys :)

Diameter of build would be very much dependent on the atty and what else OP is trying to achieve

5. Ralph_K

Ralph_K Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Because its lower ohms for the same size wire. Why do you assume he only has SS wire? I have SS, NI80, and Kanthal but use SS the most

6. JuicyLucy

Blog Posts:
    I only stated it's what I use and he should use what he has

Many people dislike the taste of kanthal and nichrome - if that's what he has and he likes it, no problem

7. SkoldVape

SkoldVape Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    26g 8 wraps around a 2.5mm is my go to MTL build an comes out around 1 ohm :)