Mr first build ever

pjerzy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well I'm new to rdas and this is my first coil. I found s mutation x v2. Single coil 26g kanthol and came out to .8 ohms. Using Japanese cotton and vaping some everyday drip rainbow sherbet.

I can always use some tips and tricks to make me better since I wasted about another 3 feet and kept messing up. I'm starting on single coils but will go to dual. Eventually.
b1053842bd4885e52f1c8026b8354465.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pjerzy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sorry for the shit pic.

pjerzy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I do have a question about this. After hitting it a few times. It has dropped to .6 ohms and a few of the wraps are darker colored now. I did have it at 30 watts and it got a pretty hot and slight dry hit.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Spend 13 bucks and get a coiler from RBAsupplies.
But messing up is part of the learning and that my friend is a pretty kick ass clean coil.
Needs more cotton.

pjerzy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Rbasuppliss is sold out but in ordered the ones from ft. But of course I get to wait a long time. Tomorrow I'll take this cotton out and put more in. Will that help with the higher watt hits and help them not be hot and dry?

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The picture looks fine to me. Then again my eyes are crap so who knows. :p

The only thing I can see is that it looks like the last wrap on the positive post side isn't in contact with the rest of the coil. That could be a trick of the optics though. Did you pulse the coil and pinch it with tweezers a few times to make sure it was heating evenly? The dark spots you mentioned sounds like hot spots in the coil which makes me think that the coil isn't completely compressed. Still, for your first build that is a damn good looking coil.

As for the ohm drop... not sure actually. You have your posts tightened all the way? That's strange to me. Keep an eye on it and your ohm reader.

Good luck though dude and stay cloudy.

Oh. and too much cotton will actually make the dry hit worse. It'll clog up the coils. The wicks work on capillary action. As juice is vaporized from the interior of the coil the cotton inside the coil absorbs more juice from the saturated portions of the wick drawing more in. If you have too much inside the coil it can't absorb it fast enough. The dry hit is actually probably because you have a single coil at 0.6 ohms. That's a low ohm rating for a single coil. I'm running a dual at 0.5 but each coil is actually 1 ohm.

Last edited:

pjerzy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well I'm giving this another go. I'm not going to lie it's rather discouraging not being able to get a decent cool. I made a 28g coil and about 1.4 now. I did move the positive posts. It is now set to the 2 posts next to each other.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I'm giving this another go. I'm not going to lie it's rather discouraging not being able to get a decent cool. I made a 28g coil and about 1.4 now. I did move the positive posts. It is now set to the 2 posts next to each other.

Don't get discouraged man. The Youtube videos make it look easy because the people in those videos have probably made over 1000 coils. Just remember to check your ohms, and then pulse and compress the coil gently until it heats evenly from the center and all of the wraps are touching. Steam Engine should be able to tell you how many wraps you'll need to do to get to the ohms you want at the coil size you want.

http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?r=1&awg=28&id=2

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your first coil looks a whole lot better than mine did, Good Job. Just curious what do you mean by a "Decent cool"?

pjerzy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well one that does change ohms, which was due to me not pressing it together. And one that I can rip on that doesn't give me a hot hit.

But thanks for the compliments about the coils guys.

pjerzy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks. I actually ordered the kuro koiler from fast tech. SUPPOSED to ship this week but who knows if that will happen

VU Sponsors