Become a Patron!

Mouth-to-Lung vaping - 0.5 ohm or 1.5 ohm?

madotter

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've only been vaping for 3 weeks, and after smoking for god knows how many years I haven't touch tobacco in those 3 weeks so I am so happy about that!

I've been using the basic iClear 16 and Ego C twist battery and have tried others but not really found the flavour and vape experience I've wanted. I'm collecting my new Kanger Subox Mini kit tomorrow, in black & red and just have a few "noob" questions:

I tend to vape mouth-to-lung more than direct lung but don't understand enough about the lower resistance coil/wicks.

After researching (a lot) it seems that 0.5 ohms is best for direct lung and 1.5 ohms is best for mouth-to-lung. I guess my questions are: "Why?" and "Can I still mouth-to-lung with 0.5 ohm or do I need to use the 1.5 ohm coil?"

I, ideally, would like to just use the 0.5 ohm coil to mouth-to-lung as from what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) the sub-ohm options produce better flavour/cloud.

Any advice here is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Iain.

Moodyeagle

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've only been vaping for 3 weeks, and after smoking for god knows how many years I haven't touch tobacco in those 3 weeks so I am so happy about that!

I've been using the basic iClear 16 and Ego C twist battery and have tried others but not really found the flavour and vape experience I've wanted. I'm collecting my new Kanger Subox Mini kit tomorrow, in black & red and just have a few "noob" questions:

I tend to vape mouth-to-lung more than direct lung but don't understand enough about the lower resistance coil/wicks.

After researching (a lot) it seems that 0.5 ohms is best for direct lung and 1.5 ohms is best for mouth-to-lung. I guess my questions are: "Why?" and "Can I still mouth-to-lung with 0.5 ohm or do I need to use the 1.5 ohm coil?"

I, ideally, would like to just use the 0.5 ohm coil to mouth-to-lung as from what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) the sub-ohm options produce better flavour/cloud.

Any advice here is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Iain.
Sub tanks tend to have larger airflow so mouth to lung is hard, also the vapour tends to be a bit hotter at lower ohms

madotter

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Kanger Mini has three levels of airflow to cater both direct and mouth vapes. My question about the 0.5 and 1.5 ohm coils is can you mouth to throat vape with both?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Moodyeagle

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Kanger Mini has three levels of airflow to cater both direct and mouth vapes. My question about the 0.5 and 1.5 ohm coils is can you mouth to throat vape with both?

If the tank has the option to then it's just down to personal preference, both will work for mouth to lung

madotter

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for clearing that up, is there a benefit for the 0.5 or 1.5 ohm coil from a mouth to lung point of view?

Moodyeagle

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for clearing that up, is there a benefit for the 0.5 or 1.5 ohm coil from a mouth to lung point of view?

I'm gonna be honest I'm not sure, but I'm thinking the lower ohm will get hotter quicker and as you're not getting much air through it it'll get quite hot.
I've always used 0.5 for lung, and 1.8 for mouth to lung.
Also with the 0.5 you'll get more of a dense vape

madotter

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So in theory, the 1.5 ohm will be more suited to mouth to throat. Thanks for your help mate!

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
My take on it, as a three-week n00b, myself, who's still learning...

For starters: The only person who'll know when your vapes are right for you is you. That is both the neat thing and the frustrating thing about vaping. Unlike cigarettes, where a cigarette is a cigarette is a cigarette, and, for the most part, one cigarette pretty much draws like any other: Different combinations of mod, tank, coil and e-juice can, and will, produce widely-varying results. And the draw is what it all comes down to, IMHO.

As to your question: Yes: Usually sub-ohm is better for DI and usually supra-ohm is better for MTL, but not always. The big difference between DI and MTL is volume of vapor, mainly. DI'ers generate more, MTL-ers: Not so much. My perception is the challenge for MTL'ers becomes: How to get more flavour with less vapor? The answer there I believe is increased density, in part. So lower air flow--including, some of us surmise, smaller-bore drip tips.

In either case, DI or MTL, the trick is getting enough e-juice to the coil, but not too much. Insufficient e-juice to the coil and you get less flavour, or even burning. Too much and you get flooding, which, can lead to leaking. Proper volume of juice flow is influenced by all the things I mentioned above, plus how hard you draw, how far open the airflow and how much power you apply.

In the end: It's all an educated guess. Read what people say about what they've been doing and using. Consider it in light of your goals. Then put your nickel in the machine and pull the lever. With a bit of luck: You may hit your jackpot.

Or you may have to play again. And again. And again. Even after you do hit: You may keep playing, to see if you can hit an even bigger jackpot ;)

As an MTL'er, you may find this thread useful: Next-gen 'shorty' tanks designed for MTL use (ex-smokers) In it: You'll find MTL'ers using both sub-ohm and supra-ohm setups.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
1.5 ohm for mouth to lung IMHO.

madotter

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for all the replies! All really helpful! :)

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmmmmm
If you want flavor start dripping when ur ready..
You can MOUTH TO LUNG OR LUNG HIT ANYTHING!
tanks or RDA/RDTA..
Any ohms
As long as you have optional airflow!
VAPE on and welcome!

VAPE ON

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
You can MOUTH TO LUNG OR LUNG HIT ANYTHING!
tanks or RDA/RDTA..
Any ohms
You can, but it might not produce what the individual would consider a satisfactory vape.

For example: My wife, who plans to eventually try vaping to get herself off the smokes, is a DI smoker. So, for her, the smaller "starter" tanks, that lack air-flow adjustment, are too tight a draw. Conversely: For me, an ex-MTL smoker: The open, airy draw of most giant-cloud-producing sub-ohm tanks is not satisfactory.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It depends on you and you only
12_PWA_ItsAllYou_360.JPG

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can, but it might not produce what the individual would consider a satisfactory vape.

For example: My wife, who plans to eventually try vaping to get herself off the smokes, is a DI smoker. So, for her, the smaller "starter" tanks, that lack air-flow adjustment, are too tight a draw. Conversely: For me, an ex-MTL smoker: The open, airy draw of most giant-cloud-producing sub-ohm tanks is not satisfactory.
I agree,
Since vaping is so subjective
You will have to go through HOARDING before you find ur sweet spot! unless you explore each and every area of vaping you will never know!
For the OPs question
Any ohms tank or rda it's gonna be up to you to know, that's why I said explore each areas of vaping tanks,subohm tanks,rda whatever is out there safely please.. Aka HOARDING

VAPE ON

diceman1000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
the 1.5 ohm coils will be better on battery life and juice consumption compared to the .5 ohm because you will vape at lower wattage ti acheieve similar results... for MTL above 1 ohm is generally considered a better vape than sub ohm because it is a cooler vape when you restrict the airflow to more closely mimick a cigarette...

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
the 1.5 ohm coils will be better on battery life and juice consumption compared to the .5 ohm because you will vape at lower wattage ti acheieve similar results... for MTL above 1 ohm is generally considered a better vape than sub ohm because it is a cooler vape when you restrict the airflow to more closely mimick a cigarette...
Again .
SUBJECTIVE, will work for you might not work for them.

VAPE ON

madotter

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks again for all the replies to me, I think ej1024 is right, whilst from what I gather the 1.5 ohm will be better than the 0.5 ohm, it's going to be what is best for me and I'll just have to give it a good test when I get it tomorrow. All the best, Iain.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Again .
SUBJECTIVE, will work for you might not work for them.
Maybe subjective, maybe not.

In general terms: @diceman1000 is correct: With sub-ohm you're generally going to put more energy into the juice--consuming both more power and more juice. The subjective part comes in where you may be able to dial those back, but now we're getting into tank and atomizer (or build deck, in the case of an RBA or RTA) design limitations. E.g.: While the Goblin Mini can apparently be successfully dialed-back for satisfactory MTL ("satisfactory" being the subjective bit), other RTAs are more suitable for DI and cloud-chasing.

Had a similar discussion at an LVS. Proprietor was insisting there was no difference between the demands of MTL and DI, from a tank selection perspective. To prove his point: He grabbed a disposable drip tip, put it on his rig, and handed it to me. Ok: Yes, it was tasty, doing MTL. But it was not "satisfactory," because it was way too airy. And, while it could have been closed-down: Now the reduced air-flow would have necessitated adjustments in power, which, in turn, might've had an effect on juice rate, and... (see above).

We may be splitting hairs, here, tho :)

madotter

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So basically, for MTL, stay above 1.0 ohm - subjectively of course :)

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Ummm pretty much, 1-1.5 ohm sometimes 1.8ohms
I started vaping ego twist and vivi nova tank with 1.8 ohms head sometimes 1.4ohms
It was very MTL,
I've seen people MTL BELOW 1ohm it's really come down to ur liking.
Whats ur nic mg? Ratio?

VAPE ON

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Not really.

The subjective part is "what you find satisfactory." The objective part is the physics of the interaction between, when it gets right down to it, energy, liquid and air :)

It is objectively true that if you increase the energy delivered to the coil, and increase the liquid delivered to it: You'll get a greater quantity of vapour. Whether that increased amount of vapour is desirable or not is subjective. It is objectively true that if you use a supra-ohm coil, delivering less energy to the heating element, you'll vaporize less liquid, producing less vapour. Whether you find the resulting quantity of vapour satisfactory in volume and flavour satisfactory is subjective.

madotter

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm currently on 12mg

Sent from my Galaxy S6 edge+ using Tapatalk

Last edited:

madotter

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I know 12mg is high but I've only been off cigs for 3 weeks lol 50/50 but with my new kit I'll be able to get 70-100% VG

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+ using Tapatalk

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know 12mg is high but I've only been off cigs for 3 weeks lol 50/50 but with my new kit I'll be able to get 70-100% VG

50/50pg 12 mg that's about right for a start
I was doing 24 mg when I started
WOW

VAPE ON

madotter

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Should I lower the mg with a higher VG?

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

That's gonna be really up to you my friend..

VAPE ON
The more PG THE more throat hit, you have to adjust to ur liking

madotter

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
OMG! I got my Kanger Subox Mini kit this morning, using the 0.5 ohm coil with 6mg "Northern Lights" eJuice set of 18 watts... AMAZING!!! Love it!!

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I'd say stay where you are at 12 and 50/50 PG/VG for now unless you are chain vaping/vaping your face off.Then you might drop to 6mg and 30/70 PG/VG.

kimber

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
OMG! I got my Kanger Subox Mini kit this morning, using the 0.5 ohm coil with 6mg "Northern Lights" eJuice set of 18 watts... AMAZING!!! Love it!!
So do you MTL or DL with it? I ask because I'm an MTLer, just got a couple Eleaf GS tanks that came with 0.5 coils but I switched them out for the 1.5s. I didn't want a super hot vape that ate my juice faster than I could make it. These tanks have air control so with the 1.5 and the air dialed down to one hole I get a really nice MTL vape. As I was filling that tank yesterday I got looking at those air holes.... Hmmmm, I wonder about the whole DL thing. I don't think I've EVER done a DL,,, I wonder if I'm missing something? (See, there's the problem with spending time around here...you read about how everyone else vapes and what everyone else likes and constantly think am I missing something? Well, I do anyway!) so I opened up the air holes and did a DL, with the 1.5. WHOA!!! The cloud, which I don't really care about, but the flavor! Who would have thought it would make that much difference in the flavor?? I can't compare the two, I've been very happy with the 1.5 but now I really must try that 0.5. And I don't do max vg,,, my lungs don't like it. I have to stick with higher pg which is fine since I'm not about the cloud. I'd be interested to see if you try the 1.5 and notice any difference??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

madotter

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am finding that I'm doing DL now more than MTL and I really do prefer it. The flavour is insane, The "Northern Lights" is a 60PG to 40VG but I'm now using the T-Juice "Red Astaire" which is 80PG to 20VG and that's just as good!! I'm not fussed on the "big" cloud size, really don't like huge clouds but at my box is set to 18.0 watts and the cloud is a nice size and gives a sufficient feel/hit. I've not tried the 1.5 ohm yet but I will let you know how it compares.

madotter

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have the air hole on the medium setting too, I thought that as I usually MTL I'd use the smallest but I much prefer the medium and I don't mind the wide option either for a bigger throat hit. I guess it's down to personal preference though. I just don't find the smaller hole as satisfying personally.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
UMMMM
Men oh men that must be a super flavor VAPE
Trust me
We all been through it
You will wanna see clouds...

VAPE ON

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So do you MTL or DL with it?
You can do both for MTL set the AFC to it's smallest hole.And for a DLI open it all the way up.

I ask because I'm an MTLer, just got a couple Eleaf GS tanks that came with 0.5 coils but I switched them out for the 1.5s. I didn't want a super hot vape that ate my juice faster than I could make it.
I was worried about sub-ohms being too hot as well while it is a warm vape I wouldn't call it hot.The drip-tip will get hot if you chain vape though.Sub-ohm coils will go through e-liquid quite quickly but more than likely you'll wind up vaping less often and cutting down on you nicotine level as well.So it balances out in the end.It least it has with me.
These tanks have air control so with the 1.5 and the air dialed down to one hole I get a really nice MTL vape. As I was filling that tank yesterday I got looking at those air holes.... Hmmmm, I wonder about the whole DL thing. I don't think I've EVER done a DL,,,
If you've ever smoked a joint or had a bong hit you've done a DLI. - Please Don't answer this part.

I wonder if I'm missing something? (See, there's the problem with spending time around here...you read about how everyone else vapes and what everyone else likes and constantly think am I missing something? Well, I do anyway!)
If how you are currently vaping is keeping you off the stinkies and you're happy with it just keep it up. I've done lots of silly things in my life none of which I will go into detail about here.And I would honestly hope no sane person would ever try half the silly stupid things I've tried in my life.

so I opened up the air holes and did a DL, with the 1.5. WHOA!!! The cloud, which I don't really care about, but the flavor! Who would have thought it would make that much difference in the flavor??
I know weird right cause taste buds are on your tongue.Think about it this way you can pull way more vapor into your lungs than into your mouth so when you exhale you get way more taste because it's so much more.vapor.
I can't compare the two, I've been very happy with the 1.5 but now I really must try that 0.5.
Don't forget to readjust your settings when switching out coil-heads.I dang near felt like I almost blew out my lungs when I forgot to turn my mod down after I put in a 1.8ohm coil in my Triton.See that's just 1 of the silly things I've done by accident.
And I don't do max vg,,, my lungs don't like it. I have to stick with higher pg which is fine since I'm not about the cloud. I'd be interested to see if you try the 1.5 and notice any difference??
Really high VG stuff gives me a runny nose, but so does menthol and I love my menthol vapes.As to a differences the 1.5ohm is a bit tighter/stiffer of a draw and a bit cooler than the 0.5ohm as well

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
... so I opened up the air holes and did a DL, with the 1.5. WHOA!!! The cloud, which I don't really care about, ...
Only thing is: That massive cloud represents consumed e-juice.

I'm going to stick with MTL. Even with that: Just between late Friday afternoon and Sunday evening I went through 2/3 of a tank.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So do you MTL or DL with it? I ask because I'm an MTLer, just got a couple Eleaf GS tanks that came with 0.5 coils but I switched them out for the 1.5s. I didn't want a super hot vape that ate my juice faster than I could make it. These tanks have air control so with the 1.5 and the air dialed down to one hole I get a really nice MTL vape. As I was filling that tank yesterday I got looking at those air holes.... Hmmmm, I wonder about the whole DL thing. I don't think I've EVER done a DL,,, I wonder if I'm missing something? (See, there's the problem with spending time around here...you read about how everyone else vapes and what everyone else likes and constantly think am I missing something? Well, I do anyway!) so I opened up the air holes and did a DL, with the 1.5. WHOA!!! The cloud, which I don't really care about, but the flavor! Who would have thought it would make that much difference in the flavor?? I can't compare the two, I've been very happy with the 1.5 but now I really must try that 0.5. And I don't do max vg,,, my lungs don't like it. I have to stick with higher pg which is fine since I'm not about the cloud. I'd be interested to see if you try the 1.5 and notice any difference??
Are you sure the VG gives you runny nose?

VAPE ON

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I'm going to stick with MTL. Even with that: Just between late Friday afternoon and Sunday evening I went through 2/3 of a tank.
Not really
You can consumed lots of juice if u dont take it off ur mouth!

VAPE ON

kimber

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Yes I know, which is part of the reason why I, too, will stick to MTL

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
OTOH: What I saved in replacement coils would probably pay for a lot of juice :)

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

That massive cloud ain't as much e-liquid as you might think.And please remember you vape e-liquid you don't consume it.I'm still a MTL vaper mainly because that's how I smoked so it's how I vape.2 thirds of a tank in 1 and a half days with a sub-ohm tank isn't a lot.Considering there are people that go through 30+ ml everyday.Personally I go through anywhere between 7-15 depending on how stressed out I feel and how many beers/cocktails I've had.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
By "consume" I meant "consumed from the tank."

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i used to MTL a .5 factory coil on the subtank mini all the time. I just shut off most of the air flow. Was great. Now I lung hit most of the time except for my NETs (tobacco extract juice) where I use a magma, dual parallel 28g coils coming in anywhere between .5 to 1 ohm and I MTL that.

kimber

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That massive cloud ain't as much e-liquid as you might think.And please remember you vape e-liquid you don't consume it.I'm still a MTL vaper mainly because that's how I smoked so it's how I vape.2 thirds of a tank in 1 and a half days with a sub-ohm tank isn't a lot.Considering there are people that go through 30+ ml everyday.Personally I go through anywhere between 7-15 depending on how stressed out I feel and how many beers/cocktails I've had.
30 ml in a day??? Good GAWD! And oh yeah.. beer, cocktail, vape.. like pb&j!!! They just go together.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Speaking of PB&J if you ever get a chance please do try Cosmic Charlie's Chalk Dust - Peanut Butter & Jesus.
Yep when I first started vaping 2+ years ago I thought people who vaped 5ml a day were just bat-shit crazy.But at that time I was using a Volcano Inferno (Ego-Type battery) and a 3.5ml carto-tank which lasted me 2+ days.

VU Sponsors