Become a Patron!

Mouth to Lung or Direct Lung Hits - THAT IS THE QUESTION!

Chainvapor

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hello all, I have been vaping for over 5 years and I see a lot of new vapers asking about new gear. What should I buy?? What's a good setup?? These are common questions. What I do not see is anyone asking these new vapers the most important question of all...........Are you wanting to take Mouth to Lung hits (Like smoking a cigarette) or Direct Lung hits (Like smoking a joint for lack of a better explanation).

This question is extremely important when someone is trying to help another individual pick out a vaping setup.

I actually use both methods on a daily basis, but the equipment I use for one or the other is completely different.

If you want to mouth-to-lung hit you will not get huge clouds, but in public places I prefer this method because it typically does not piss off the people around you and allows you to "stealth" vape if you want to. There is a ton of equipment to facilitate this method. What I use is a Kayfun Lite Plus tank with a 0.7-0.9ohm simple horizontal coil build with 26 gauge kanthal and Japanese Organic cotton for a wick. This build on either a mech mod, or a regualted mod at 16-20 watts (depending on juice) has been in my arsenal for over a 1-1/2 years and I still use it today. There are also some pre-built coil tanks you can use which are very popular like the Nautilus family of tanks from Aspire.

If you are looking for Direct Lung Hits there is also a ton of equipment to facilitate this method as well. Recently, a ton of great tanks have hit the market with huge air flow and good flavor. It is no longer necessary to build your own coils unless you want to. I just purchased a Horizon Tech Arctic tank this past week and it has massive airflow and can run from 30 to 80 watts with the 0.5ohm dual coil heads and even up to 100 watts with the 0.2ohm dual coil heads. That is impressive for pre-built coils. Or you can build your own coils and use a RTA (Rebuildable Tank Atomizer) or RDA (Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer) to vape with. If you choose to build your own coils, please understand there are safety concerns that should ALWAYS be considered. I think anyone who decides to use a mech mod and builds their own coils without a simple ohm meter/tester (Here is one for ya http://101vape.com/meters/170-ohms-meter.html ) Is not only endangering themselves, but everyone around them. If you do not want to take the necessary safety precautions to use a mech mod, than please stick with regulated mods with built in safety!!

In conclusion, there is great information all over the Vaping Underground forums. Please heed the safety warnings people give out on battery safety. This is one of the most important issues with vaping. Also, please understand how to handle your nicotine juices (or eliquids if you prefer) and keep them away from children and pets. I thoroughly enjoy vaping and want to help as many smokers as possible quit the stinkies for good. I just ask that everyone PLEASE do it safely, for your own sake and the ones around you.

Sincerely,
Chainvapor

Riptides

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've only been vaping for 4 months but a couple months ago I started building with a Kayfun lite clone. Since then I've bought a couple more RTA's, a couple RDA's, a mech and a few regulated boxes, but I'm still using the kayfun as well. I have a nano kit on it now and it's sitting atop my iStick30. Perfect stealthvape that produces unmatched flavor!

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use primarily lung hits. I don't really worry too much about stealth vaping, but a mouth-to-lung hit is still viable on most of my RDAs except the Hobo and Plume Veil. Too much airflow.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Mouth to lung for me using a KFL+v2 and now a Kv4. Have a couple of Orchid v4's also but don't use them very often because they have to much airflow right now, but I may be modifying them in the very near future :)

I used to do mouth to lung inhales when I had my clearomizer, but when I got an RDA and a mech mod I couldn't do mouth to lung inhales because of the airflow. New vapers that start out with starter kits and e-go style vape pens should go with what they prefer, throat hit wise. Mouth to lung inhales, IMO, give you a much better throat hit, so if you like throat hit go with mouth to lung, but with lung inhales you get more vapor, depending on how long you drag on it.

Chainvapor

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks for all the posts everyone! I think you would all agree that depending on which of these 2 methods you use to vape makes a HUGE difference in your vape gear preferences. If any new vapers come around, please ask them the question so we can get them on the right track to great vape gear for the way they want to vape.

Happy Vaping Everyone! :)
Chainvapor

Smokeybear

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was confused about this at first i thought it was just illustrating the way you use your Mods, for example I have an I stick 30w with a Kangertech Nano like mentioned above. and i have a wider drip tip on it which helps produce more air flow thus allowing me to take the vaper directly to my lungs. But i can also hold it on my mouth and inhale afterwards.

Is that doing both with the same setup or have i no idea what a direct lung hit is until i get a sub tank and higher wattage mod?

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was confused about this at first i thought it was just illustrating the way you use your Mods, for example I have an I stick 30w with a Kangertech Nano like mentioned above. and i have a wider drip tip on it which helps produce more air flow thus allowing me to take the vaper directly to my lungs. But i can also hold it on my mouth and inhale afterwards.

Is that doing both with the same setup or have i no idea what a direct lung hit is until i get a sub tank and higher wattage mod?

No. That's doing both on the same setup. If you've ever used a hookah then you know how direct lung hits work. Because you have more airflow you can pull the vapor straight into your lungs instead of having to fill your mouth like you would with a cigarette.

Smokeybear

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ya I get what your saying just wanted to confirm what I was thinking. And yes I have like three hookas lol there great but a pain to prepare

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Amen brother. I see people recommending gear all the time and the method of inhale is never mentioned. I completely agree with you. That is the very first question that should be asked and answered before any specific gear is considered. Few pieces of gear work well for both methods. It boggles my mind that such an important factor gets completely ignored as much as it does.

Chainvapor

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Amen brother. I see people recommending gear all the time and the method of inhale is never mentioned. I completely agree with you. That is the very first question that should be asked and answered before any specific gear is considered. Few pieces of gear work well for both methods. It boggles my mind that such an important factor gets completely ignored as much as it does.

Thank you BoomStick. Yes, I see people suggesting all kinds of vaping gear to people all the time without knowing the answer to this question and I think to myself "How in the world can you tell them they need an ARCTIC tank if they mouth-to-lung hit?" or "How in the world can you tell them they need a Kayfun or Nautilus tank if they direct-lung-hit??" This question is IMHO the most important question to ask before recommending any vape gear. Lung hits require more air flow, but mouth-to-lung hits are nearly impossible with too much airflow. Thanks for understanding that.

Happy Vaping!
Chainvapor :)

NoNicNick

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
More like a bong than a joint (direct lung hits).

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Seems that direct lung hits are more for cloud chasers. Although, everyone likes to chase a bit of cloud now and then...

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've never known anyone using ciggarettes or a joint do a direct to lung hit, everyone around here does mouth to lung? I couldn't imagine doing straight to lung when I smoked, especially with a joint, that must kill your lungs lol.

pete67

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I do mouth to lung inhales with a Cloupor Mini and a Lemo 2 and all of my mods and tanks.

pete67

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I like my cloupor mini. It is a little heavy and I don't charge it with the usb. I just change the battery out. I take mine everywhere. I got mine from one of our members.

Count Vapula

Member For 4 Years
Most who get used to lung hits and wide open airflow never look back.

I love my new Kanger subtank mini (not really all that mini tho :p

Suprised my coworker who hasn't looked at a tank in 6 months.

Pretty sure that lung hits are for people past the initial transition to vaping

OP: Definitely have a point about stealth vaping... Hard to do with dripper / subtank. I find my clouds not dispersing quick too, watched one outside for a full minute lol.. Maybe its my new DIY too

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've never known anyone using cigarettes or a joint do a direct to lung hit, everyone around here does mouth to lung? I couldn't imagine doing straight to lung when I smoked, especially with a joint, that must kill your lungs lol.

I did lung hits when I smoked Newport 100s. Sometimes with extra menthol added as well.
I sucked in a little air around the cig to help dilute the smoke a bit, but it was still a lung inhale.

Couldn't stand the small airflow from eGos and small tanks, even the nautilus wide open wasn't enough for me. Atlantis was much better, was able to take good hits off it with the warmer vapor but it wasn't until I got into RDAs that I was finally satisfied. I had missed that feeling of a warm thick cloud filling my lungs ever since I made the switch 2 months before that.

VU Sponsors