Mount Baker Discontinues 100 Flavors

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Not sure if anyone posted about this but Mount Baker Vapor has gone completely nuts. It has discontinued about 100 flavors because it expects impending regulations to pass, including my favorite flavor Kiwi.

http://blog.mbvwholesale.com/?p=99

Couldn't they wait to see if the regulations actually pass or maybe even set up an office somewhere outside of Washington rather than discontinue half their freakin' variety? This reminds me of when they went all crazy over the cinnamon scare and stopped selling anything with cinnamon in it.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's actually more like 175 flavors.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sucks they cancelled ur favorite flavor.. but I assume most of these were shit flavors anyways knowing MBV"s selection.. it honestly needed to be done in preparation for the regulations, and they can't wait for the regulations to pass because if they haven't already done it, they will most likely get taxed out the ass - better to play it safe imo

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
That sucks!

So many tasty flavors have to go before their time:(

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
These are flavorings and not juices, right?

EthelMaltol

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
These are flavorings and not juices, right?
Sounds like it is both, because they sell both. Wow! What a list! I can't believe they did this prior to any regulation, unless they have inside info. Lots of these flavors are household names, while others I can imagine would be slow sellers. Unbelievable! :(

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, the link refers to "flavors", just an assumption on my part because of wording. But the juices go by the same names, that's what made me wonder.

Tripster

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Interesting...

sgenn99

Member For 4 Years
This is why we all need to be proactive and let our representatives know how we feel, rather than sitting around and expecting other people to do the boring activism stuff.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
That's pretty wild. Quite a lot of product to stop selling, even despite them having so many juices. The writing is on the wall when stuff such as this is beginning. The sky isn't falling, I didn't even order from them, but I'm curious to see how this will affect prices and possibly other companies in the future. Thanks for posting.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
WTF??? A Lot of those flavors are what I BLEND with. Some of them are very basic base flavors. Are they just caving into politics? These are just flavorings. Not only is this short sighted on their part, but it will affect DIY'ers big time. This is not good, not good at all.

Chainvapor

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I am glad I live in Tennessee. We still have some freedom here. I took a trip to California recently and could not believe how bad it is. I was on Venice beach and could smell ***in the air almost constantly. But in an outdoor restaurant with no one else there I could not vape. So I stood just outside the roped off area for the restaurant and blew clouds into it. Ha ha. What a crock. I vape all over the place in Tennessee and as long as I am not blowing gigantic clouds and am respectful of others, no one says a word.

Last edited by a moderator:

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
WTF??? A Lot of those flavors are what I BLEND with. Some of them are very basic base flavors. Are they just caving into politics? These are just flavorings. Not only is this short sighted on their part, but it will affect DIY'ers big time. This is not good, not good at all.
My brother lives in Bellingham WA..
He is worried about the 95% tax his governor is trying to pass on all vaping gear and ejuice..and I thought CA was bad where I live..lol

sent from my Droid Maxx via Tapatalk

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Isn't ECX from Washington as well?

Maybe MFS just wants to hand over business to the competition.

What do you think of all this @Donovan (ECX Flavor Lab) ?
They certainly are in Washington, which leads me to wonder if ECX won't soon be on their coat tails. :(
I am glad I live in Tennessee. We still have some freedom here. I took a trip to California recently and could not believe how bad it is. I was on Venice beach and could smell ***in the air almost constantly. But in an outdoor restaurant with no one else there I could not vape. So I stood just outside the roped off area for the restaurant and blew clouds into it. Ha ha. What a crock. I vape all over the place in Tennessee and as long as I am not blowing gigantic clouds and am respectful of others, no one says a word.
And Tennessee isn't that bad right now and hope they're the usual "slow" to bow down to conformities. There are already a few places here that expect me to vape amongst the smokers, but not by law, by personal business rules. In those cases I just don't patronize those establishments any more.
I was going to start ordering two bottles of nicotine every month to stock my freezer and keep in line with my budget. I guess it will be a bottle per week now, just in case....

Last edited by a moderator:

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
They are dropping more than half their products. For example, there are at least thirty fruit flavors on the list that they have discontinued, but they are only continuing to offer 25 fruit flavors at their website.

Chainvapor

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
They certainly are in Washington, which leads me to wonder if ECX won't soon be on their coat tails. :(

And Tennessee isn't that bad right now and hope they're the usual "slow" to bow down to conformities. There are already a few places here that expect me to vape amongst the smokers, but not by law, by personal business rules. In those cases I just don't patronize those establishments any more.
I was going to start ordering two bottles of nicotine every month to stock my freezer and keep in line with my budget. I guess it will be a bottle per week now, just in case....

Well, we have a TN organization dedicated to defending vaping in our state and all the local vape shops typically go to all the meetings with government on any ecig or ejuice related bills. So far we have been able to shoot down all the negative bills here and the government is starting to listen to us. Fortunately, we have a serious presence here which helps because the more people here vape, the more voters vape. So the politicians know if they go against us, they WILL lose votes. We have a local group just in the knoxville area that was over 3,000 members strong until some idiot had to ruin it and it got somehow deleted off of facebook. But the moral of the story is, if we had 3,000 members who vape, that is probably only a small percentage considering a lot of people vape and never joined the group. The vape shops in our area will not sit quietly and let government squash their dreams. They will FIGHT for our freedom to do something that is not harmful to anyone. :)

CV :)

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Well, we have a TN organization dedicated to defending vaping in our state and all the local vape shops typically go to all the meetings with government on any ecig or ejuice related bills. So far we have been able to shoot down all the negative bills here and the government is starting to listen to us. Fortunately, we have a serious presence here which helps because the more people here vape, the more voters vape. So the politicians know if they go against us, they WILL lose votes. We have a local group just in the knoxville area that was over 3,000 members strong until some idiot had to ruin it and it got somehow deleted off of facebook. But the moral of the story is, if we had 3,000 members who vape, that is probably only a small percentage considering a lot of people vape and never joined the group. The vape shops in our area will not sit quietly and let government squash their dreams. They will FIGHT for our freedom to do something that is not harmful to anyone. :)

you might want to find a spot here on the forum to your organization for others to find and look over, @Chainvapor :)
could just help others out too with this..

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

That does ease my mind some. I'm in Tennessee as well - Sevierville- and I know that vape shops are popping up like dandelions. I'll cheer them on any way I can!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First time posing here, but this is a shame. I started vapeing when there were only cig a likes and a small selection of juices available. I gave up on it because it was to hard to get juice and quit the old analog crap. Now that I am back to vapwing and can find whatever juice I would ever want they want to take it away...

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What have they heard that we haven't hmmmm
I don't know but I just received another call to action by casaa and they're asking for a lot of info from us. A full page letter to the FDA with posts and threads containing pics, vids, etc. Anything that will help.

Last edited:

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know where Sevierville is :) lol pretty county side over there..
Yeah, we're about ten miles away from the "tourist sector" in Wears Valley. Very quiet up here and a gorgeous mountain view soon as you step off the porch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
uSoXFt0MbbSfkJu1lDQcjPncLaSp5MrrMD-lHARWM_NNvoCLuHKegFz05VmYN1eyAp42VxhMEU8ojVxcLfvwhJLQL6g8h6u0DiiVqTZYX_Ga5bUzKO0H=s0-d-e1-ft

FDA Call to Action: Submit comments on FDA’s “workshop” regarding e-cigarettes.

In December 2014, the FDA held the first of a series of “workshops” in which “experts” are invited to inform them about the physical characteristics of e-cigarettes. It should be no surprise that the people who were granted time to speak were largely non-experts and that consumer representatives were closed out of this meeting. This is your opportunity to help remedy that. If you watched the workshop, you know what we are talking about. If you did not, all you need to know is that FDA sought the opinion of people who presented information at about the level you might see in a magazine article on e-cigarettes.

Please note that the comments we are asking you to submit are for the first workshop (December 10 and 11, 2014). The second FDA workshop last week was much the same. The speakers were somewhat more expert, but still could have learned a lot from a consumer representative, and yet our application to include CASAA experts on the program was refused. We will have an opportunity to comment on that meeting later.

FDA claims that these workshops have nothing to do with their decision about whether and how to impose the “deeming” regulations and are only to inform the eventual regulation, but this is ridiculous. Whatever information flows now will obviously affect both.

The good news is that consumers and other experts on e-cigarettes have an opportunity to comment on this matter.

We know that the vaping community -- which includes everyone from small manufacturers, to DIY modders, to consumers who make themselves expert on the hardware or liquid -- has more collective expertise than FDA and their supposed “experts.” We need to collect examples.

1st - Please try to recall your favorite writings on the relevant topics from: threads on ECF or other forums; informative blog posts by consumers, consumer advocates, or vendors; how-to videos; etc. Keep in mind that the topic at hand is characteristics of e-cigarette hardware and liquid, including variations, modding options, etc.

• This includes:
    • product engineering (how the devices work, new innovations, how to optimize them, etc.),

• physics,

• chemistry,

• the toxicological (effect of chemicals on health) implications of those.

There are tens of thousands of great threads and posts out in the world that cover these topics, providing consumers with useful information about the products. **Please make sure that the material is high-quality. (A few bad posts on a forum thread are inevitable, of course, but keep in mind that you are demonstrating that we are more expert than their “experts.”) Also, please do not include material that is primarily about smoking cessation or other behavioral issues; this is specifically about physical characteristics of the devices, liquids, and vapor.

2nd - Collect a list of these – at least one or two of them -- and ten or a hundred if you want – and make them part of a comment (talking points provided below).

• **Please note: It is far better to create a PDF of the material you are referencing and upload as additional files or append it to your comment; if you just send a link, they will probably ignore it, but if you send the content, they are required by law to take the time to read it.

3rd - Submit your comment here. The Deadline is April 15, 2015.

Required and Suggested Talking points -

• (Required) Include the following information at the very top of your comment:
    • I am commenting on Electronic Cigarettes and the Public Health; Public Workshop; 79 FR 55815, September 17, 2014, Docket No. FDA-2014-N-0001
  • Describe yourself a bit:
    • Mention if you are an e-cigarette user and how long you have been using e-cigarettes. Go ahead and mention how long ago e-cigarettes allowed you to quit smoking if that describes you. (It is not relevant to this docket, as noted, but it does not hurt to remind them.)

• If you are a CASAA member, please mention that to remind them that there is an organized consumer voice they should be listening to. (If you are not, please go HERE and join. It is free and important.)
  • The material presented at this workshop would have benefited greatly from consumer input.

• I am commenting to call attention to some of the enormous body of knowledge and expertise that exists in the consumer community.

• Thank You.

Sample Letter -

To: U.S. Food and Drug Administration

Re: Electronic Cigarettes and the Public Health; Public Workshop; 79 FR 55815, September 17, 2014, Docket No. FDA-2014-N-0001

Date:

I am a consumer, writing on my own behalf. <DESCRIBE YOURSELF>. I am writing to comment on “Electronic Cigarettes and the Public Health; Public Workshop; 79 FR 55815, September 17, 2014, Docket No. FDA-2014-N-0001.” This docket fol lows up on a workshop you held in December 2014 that was intended to hear expert presentation about physical and performance characteristics and variations of e-cigarettes and their toxicological and other implications.

It was apparent from the material presented at that workshop that the event could have greatly benefitted from expertise that exists in the consumer community. Many e-cigarette consumers, like myself, watched the workshop presentations. The simplis tic assessments coming from many (if not most) of these hand-picked “experts” were so inexpert and so clearly politically motivated that it was actually insulting.

I am commenting to call attention to some of the enormous body of knowledge and expertise that exists in the consumer community. Please consider the following material that came from consumers and/or small producers who are close to the consumer community:

1. <http:…>

2. <http:…>

3. <http:…>

4. <http:…>

5. <http:…>

6. <http:…>

7. <http:…>

For convenience, I have provided copies of the content from these links as part of this comment.

Once you review this material and similar material from other consumers, it should be apparent that FDA’s level of expertise, and that of its supposed experts, is inadequate. FDA should be reading what is already known in the world, not tryin g to reinvent the wheel. FDA should get itself up to speed on this material, which already exists, before it presumes to judge who is even expert enough to comment, let alone before it bans 99.99% of the products on the market, as it is currently proposing.

Thank you for considering my comments.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sorry for that long ass post but I wanted everyone to see it. Get what I mean? It's a lot of work and I know I would need some help putting it all together. Maybe since the mods are always perusing the threads they could pick out and post links to the relevant ones?

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That's pretty wild. Quite a lot of product to stop selling, even despite them having so many juices. The writing is on the wall when stuff such as this is beginning. The sky isn't falling, I didn't even order from them, but I'm curious to see how this will affect prices and possibly other companies in the future. Thanks for posting.
I'm thinking they are pulling back from the market, possibly getting ready to spin down, or as Vaperature postulated, move somewhere less hostile to commerce. I think vapers in Washington state need to get vocal and let the politicians know that they will be losing votes, and possibly their cushy fat cat jobs over shit like a 95% tax on juice and vaping products. Big Tobacco execs must be salivating like rabid dogs over the prospect of the tax rape of the vaping industry in Washington state.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I'm thinking they are pulling back from the market, possibly getting ready to spin down, or as Vaperature postulated, move somewhere less hostile to commerce. I think vapers in Washington state need to get vocal and let the politicians know that they will be losing votes, and possibly their cushy fat cat jobs over shit like a 95% tax on juice and vaping products. Big Tobacco execs must be salivating like rabid dogs over the prospect of the tax rape of the vaping industry in Washington state.
You very well may be correct. I know they're also selling off authentic Russian 91% 2's for around $45 right now. Maybe they're slimming inventory, in case they need to either move, or just move on and shut down. Good points.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yeah, I'm thinking its also that the Kayfun V4 makes the Russian, even V2, antiquated. Good price for a tried and true authentic atty, though.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Writing has been on the wall for a while now, especially given the way our political system has been allowed, and is actually being encouraged by the voting majority to grow to into every facet of our lives. :(

MrNiceVape

Member For 4 Years
Is MBV a member of AEMSA? This reminds me of the pre-emptive step that Virgin Vapor took a few months back, at the advice of AEMSA. Is the regulation really that close or is this more of a case of juice vendors wanting to protect themselves in case the shoe drops?

But really if your buying from MBV you could easily make every flavor they offer go to Flavor West's Website and pick the flavorings that your familiar with from mbv and make it yourself>

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Is MBV a member of AEMSA? This reminds me of the pre-emptive step that Virgin Vapor took a few months back, at the advice of AEMSA. Is the regulation really that close or is this more of a case of juice vendors wanting to protect themselves in case the shoe drops?

i see it as both.. for the price to get juice and mods approved.. i believe everything will go black market..
there is no getting around it.. the average mom and pop (or just mom) will not be able to afford the cost ..
and yeah it means more bad juice/mod makers.. but for those that you know will do good.. keep supporting them..

it's the only right thing to do..

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
i see it as both.. for the price to get juice and mods approved.. i believe everything will go black market..
there is no getting around it.. the average mom and pop (or just mom) will not be able to afford the cost ..
and yeah it means more bad juice/mod makers.. but for those that you know will do good.. keep supporting them..

it's the only right thing to do..
At the worst, I think non nicotine juice will be sold, and a resurgence of mechs might occur. Ship a mech with a 510 flashlight connection, and it's a fucking flashlight. Those connections exist and are cheap. I truly think mechs are going nowhere, there's just no way they can ban them.

Now, a temperature controlled or even no temp controlled 100+ watt box might be difficult to skirt by the rules. However, "water pipes, and glass pipes for tobacco...", yeah, they've been sold forever, with a sign on the wall stating that certain words, I.e. Reality, will get you kicked out. If they can get away with that in B&Ms across the country, especially online might just be fine with clever wording. We shall see. Hey, you might need a temperature and wattage controlled flashlight? Right? That one will depend on how they come down on manufacturers, and with YIHI supplying some of the best chips, and companies like Sigelei and P4Y being in China, aside from blocking shipments at the ports they might be fine. I do remember back in the Njoy cig a like days, they were attempting to stop shipments at the ports. I think that was the first major attack, but I fell away from vaping for a couple years soon after.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
But the cigarette business still thrives.....I do NOT understand....

ecigdotcom

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
This is something that online and local retailers have to deal with almost a daily basis now. Every morning I get google alerts, and every morning there's a new proposed tax or regulation on ecigs. When the FDA deeming regulations were sent down in April, I personally thought that is all we have to worry about.

It seems now that the state level and even city level's are making their own regulations outside of the FDA. Most of these bills that have been proposed have not made it very far but it unfortunately seems the one in Washington will pass. I only say this as I cannot imagine MBV slimming their business down if they did not think this would pass.

If this passes in Washington and the 95% Tax is imposed, I wonder what this does to MBV. Naturally I would think the tax would only apply to customers in Washington. Personally, I would unfortunately have to just move my business to another state.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is something that online and local retailers have to deal with almost a daily basis now. Every morning I get google alerts, and every morning there's a new proposed tax or regulation on ecigs. When the FDA deeming regulations were sent down in April, I personally thought that is all we have to worry about.

It seems now that the state level and even city level's are making their own regulations outside of the FDA. Most of these bills that have been proposed have not made it very far but it unfortunately seems the one in Washington will pass. I only say this as I cannot imagine MBV slimming their business down if they did not think this would pass.

If this passes in Washington and the 95% Tax is imposed, I wonder what this does to MBV. Naturally I would think the tax would only apply to customers in Washington. Personally, I would unfortunately have to just move my business to another state.
Yeah. not only MBV but what will that 95% tax do to ProVape? Can you imagine paying over $500 for a Provari?
Wow.. Lol

ecigdotcom

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah. not only MBV but what will that 95% tax do to ProVape? Can you imagine paying over $500 for a Provari?
Wow.. Lol

Yeah I'm very interested to see how this is going to work. Normally you do not have to pay taxes for out of state transactions online. But for the citizens of Washington state, they'd be screwed. Why would they buy online from a store in Washington, or even go to their local B&M if there was a 95% tax. They wouldn't they order online from someone else.

I've thought about this a lot, and I'm in it for the long haul. I'm very comfortable here with my wife in Austin, TX but if we have to move because of dumb tax laws that are passed by the local state government because it hurts our business its a no brainer. That would be very unfortunate.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've thought of that too, all the big businesses such as MBV that would have a choice between moving or going under.

EthelMaltol

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What have they heard that we haven't hmmmm
Well, this issue is more complicated as Mt Baker is in Washington state. The state itself is attempting to bring in regulations as is the fda. We really cant tell what they are reacting to. :( As far as the confusion over juice or diy, juice is usually called a flavor, while diy is usually called flavoring.

VU Sponsors