Become a Patron!

Mosfet questions

RonaldStark

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey ya'll, so I'm making my first unregulated dual parallel box and I still have some questions regarding mosfets after scouring the web for answers.

I really would like to build down to .1-.15 on my box on occasion, and I have read the irlb3034pbf can fail at resistances that low, and somewhere it stated that this is due to the voltage drop that occurs at resistances that low which confuses me. if that is the case, is it due to the drop going below the gate threshold of the mosfet? cause even then the gate of this particular is 2.5 volts or something like that. or is it because it is too much current running through it?

I have heard of people paralleling multiple mosfets to get around this problem, which I may end up doing once I understand this all a little better, unless some alternative pops up ( I have 3 but hoped to make atleast two boxes initially, and they aren't THAT cheap here in canada). does anyone have any experience building this low with a single mosfet that could share some thoughts? also has anyone ever used this as alternative to the common n channel mosfets? http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...GAEpiMZZMshyDBzk1/WixUDDf9eUPLWN7DYSE6%2box8=

ALSO.... My real plan is to build a fully mechanical box eventually, which would eliminate all of the above factors, and I was just wondering if anyone knows of any diagrams or tips on doing so. I cannot find anything, except a couple finished product expositions of diy mechboxes (which did helped a lot). I understand how the circuit and switch would have to work it would just be awesome to get a few design ideas from anyone who has done one and could share any insights.

Thanks in advance! any input is helpful, I'm new to this so any info about electrical circuitry that may be relevant to this project is appreciated

RonaldStark

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also, would I still need just one 15 k resistor if I paralleled the mosfets?

RonaldStark

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Is there a more appropriate place for this thread?

Sent from my iPhone using

Diescum88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Offhand I'm not sure bout single MOSFET for going that low and not sure bout if you need a 2nd 15k resistor for the paralleled mosfets but I think you might ....a good site to check out for modding is breaktru

BornToDie423

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
With a single 3034 fet, I went to .1 all the time with no problems. It wasn't until I tested the limits of the box with a .05 ohm build did the mosfet fry. I figured it would, but I was curious to see what happened.

Moving on, if you would be more comfortable with parallel mosfet... You still only need the one 15k resistor.

richardward77

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Try modmaker uk there is loads of wiring diagrams for parallel and series mods.

Sent from my P022 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors