Become a Patron!

Mods that can charge a phone? Silly I know... But I wants

So I am currently using a 50w sigelei box mod and a kanger protank 2... nothing fancy. I am in the market for a new kit though and right now I am leaning towards an innokin mvp 3.0 pro and an ijoy reaper plus tank.

One of the things I am looking for is the ability to use the mod as an external battery to charge my phone or other devices, it is the #1 thing that I like about the mvp 3.0 pro but that mod can't be the only one on the market like that.

I almost never run out of juice on my sigelei box mod and it only has like a 2500mah battery installed, yet my phone dies half way through the day every friggin day and I don't want to have a pocket full of batteries, hence trying to find a device that can serve both my vaping needs and device charging needs.

So can anyone recommend any other mods to look into that have a similar charging feature?

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Innokin are the only ones to my knowledge. I do keep a 160000 mah rapier backup battery with me, though. I use a dna200 with a lipo and 2a rapid charger. The backup battery lets me recharge the mod, the phone and my tablet a few times a day without issue.

Innokin are the only ones to my knowledge. I do keep a 160000 mah rapier backup battery with me, though. I use a dna200 with a lipo and 2a rapid charger. The backup battery lets me recharge the mod, the phone and my tablet a few times a day without issue.

Yea I have an Anker 12000mah external battery like that, it is excellent but it is also huge and I don't really like to carry it around... it mostly stays in my laptop bag. I could always get a smaller one, but a 2 in 1 device would be ideal.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Why not get a phone with a big battery? It does sound silly to charge a phone off a mod that needs a good charge to continue vaping it, lol
That said the 3500 mAh batt in this Droid Maxx goes for 1.5 days on a single charge...Three batts in my RX200 goes for over two days on a single charge..point is both have big enough batts to get me through a full day without recharging them..No worries, lol

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea I have an Anker 12000mah external battery like that, it is excellent but it is also huge and I don't really like to carry it around... it mostly stays in my laptop bag. I could always get a smaller one, but a 2 in 1 device would be ideal.
You think that one is big, I have the Anker 20100 Power Core. The only mods I know of that charge are the MVP line. Take a look at the MVP3.0 Pro, it's the best one I know of.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:
Why not get a phone with a big battery? It does sound silly to charge a phone off a mod that needs a good charge to continue vaping it, lol
That said the 3500 mAh batt in this Droid Maxx goes for 1.5 days on a single charge...Three batts in my RX200 goes for over two days on a single charge..point is both have big enough batts to get me through a full day without recharging them..No worries, lol

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I actually downgraded my phone earlier this year from a Sony Xperia Z3 to an iPhone 5c because I was tired of carrying around a gigantic 5in phone... even the Z3 compact is too big for me. I hate purses and girl clothes have tiny pockets... I really like 4in phones and all the 4in phones are older and have smaller batteries. I am looking forward to this new 4in iPhone (6c or 5se whatever they end up calling it) but until then I intend to keep my 5c and its horrible 1500mah battery.

Like I said in my original post, my sigelei 50w only has a 2500mah battery and it never runs out of juice (I could probably go 3-4 days without recharging), so I am not concerned with running out of power for vaping. The innokin mvp 3.0 pro has a 4500mah battery which is plenty for my vaping needs and phone charging needs. But that mod is also kind of basic as far as other features go... hence why I wanted to see what other options might be out there.

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
iTaste MVP has a usb port and it works to charge your phone.

James

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Vamo make a adapter to do this .

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Her is what I use, it's roughly the size of my Wallet with 2, 2A sub Ports. If you do find a mid that has it; please let us know.
amazon.com/Upgraded-Capacity-RAVPower-16750mAh-Technology/dp/B00MQSMEEE

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've used my MVP to charge my phone a couple times when needed but I had a backup mod for vaping. I think you'll find that even though you don't use much battery for vaping, the phone will take more charge off the mod than expected. I had very little charge left for vaping. I can't remember details but I did end up using the backup mod.

Anyway, the MVP might work well for you. Just keep in mind that it may not be perfect for dual purpose.

Her is what I use, it's roughly the size of my Wallet with 2, 2A sub Ports. If you do find a mid that has it; please let us know.
amazon.com/Upgraded-Capacity-RAVPower-16750mAh-Technology/dp/B00MQSMEEE

Yea I have an Anker external battery similar to that one although it is 12000mah not 16750mah, but it is just too big to lug around. So far it looks like the only mod with this capability is the innokin mvp 3.0 and mvp 3.0 pro (30w and 60w respectively).

I've used my MVP to charge my phone a couple times when needed but I had a backup mod for vaping. I think you'll find that even though you don't use much battery for vaping, the phone will take more charge off the mod than expected. I had very little charge left for vaping. I can't remember details but I did end up using the backup mod.

Anyway, the MVP might work well for you. Just keep in mind that it may not be perfect for dual purpose.

Yea I ended up deciding to go with MVP 3.0 pro, I ordered it earlier. I am not too concerned with the battery capacity. My phone only has a 1500mah battery and the mvp 3.0 pro has a 4500mah battery, and with my sigelei 50w with only 2500mah it lasts me a few days worth of vaping (although generally I still charge it every night). So even if I had to charge my phone from 0% all the way to 100% I would still have plenty of juice for vaping all day. I think this will work out nicely.

Hopefully innokin makes a followup to the mvp 3.0 pro an "mvp 4.0 pro" with selectable filament types, temperature control, a bigger battery, usb-c and 75-100w of power... and maybe lower than .2 ohm coils would be interesting. The mvp 3.0 pro definitely strikes me as a last generation product as far as the actual vaping features go, but it should be fine for me, for now.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

jat009

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have the MVP 3 Pro and I must say, it does help having a 4500 mah battery that I can charge devices from. I highly recommend it.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yea a MVP mod or a Battery Bank is about all your going to find to do that...unless you own a Iphone or Galaxy that fit the Vape Case...
original-dovpo-ez-fone-mod-shell-cover-case.jpg

VapeVillian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My first mod was the MVP pro 3.0. Just as the charging another device point, it actually works really well. I've only used it twice, both times when the power went out, and fully charged (from around 5%) a Samsung S6 and still left half a charge on the mod. This also was w/ me Vaping every so often.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

So I got my new kit in the mail yesterday (that was super quick, I guess the place I ordered from is in Cali). Anyway here is my review!!

The MVP 3.0 pro is built like a friggin tank, the build quality is beyond excellent, it looks like a part that fell off a fighter jet. It is rather large, but with the tank off, the whole kit is still roughly analogous to a pack of Camel 99's and a lighter, so it is within acceptable parameters as far as I am concerned.

By default it was setup for variable voltage mode instead of variable wattage mode, and since it didn't come with an instruction manual it took me awhile to figure out how to switch modes... it really should come with a small instruction manual and should default to variable wattage (auto mode).

I do have a couple gripes with it. The stock charging cable on the bottom only has a micro usb port but it has a plastic tab the shape of a lightning connector. Turns out that there is an accessory cable you can buy to replace the stock cable that has both the micro usb and the lightning connector. But the problem with that is that it was hard to find in stock anywhere and it is black in color, where as the stock one is gray to match the aluminum bottom panel. I went ahead and ordered this accessory cable but really this multi function cable should have been the stock cable and it should have been gray/silver to match. Minor gripe really but it struck me as lazy and cheap on the part of innokin.

The other gripe is the power output. This is my first sub ohm kit and previously with 1.5 ohm coils on my sigelei 50w mod I never needed to go over 15w in order to get a good throaty hit. But with this ijoy Reaper Plus tank and .3ohm or .4ohm coils even maxed out at 60w it does not deliver that solid throat hit... 60w is simply not enough for this tank, this tank needs 100w+ to do it justice and frankly considering the size of the MVP 3.0 pro I think it should be able to put out 100w+.

As far as the ijoy Reaper Plus tank itself is concerned... on the whole it is incredibly well built, it is a mini work of art. But it also has a couple problems. The biggest problem is that the RBA II coil base is badly designed, in fact I would go as far as to say it is completely worthless. I tried building the coil in a couple different arrangements (including what is shown on the ijoy site) with ample cotton wicking material and no matter the configuration the moment you open the chamber and expose the coil to the liquid tank it just runs straight out the bottom and leaks all over the place. This isn't even a minor leak, it is literally like turning a shot glass upside down, the entire contents of the liquid tank will leak out the bottom of the coil in a matter of 2-3 seconds (hella messy). I do not believe ijoy tested this device at all, that is a serious design flaw that should have never made it past the product design phase. I've done some research on it and it turns out I am not the only one who experienced this so I know I am not crazy. This tank also does not come with a proper instruction manual which is inexcusable as it is a complicated piece.

Another issue with the tank is its propensity to leak even with the pre-built coils (although not even close to as bad as the RBA head), the tank has the ability to shut off the flow from the tank to the coil by twisting the tank section to the right, but this is less a bonus feature for making coil changes easier (as advertised) and more of a necessary, required function to keep the tank from leaking. Whenever you are done taking a hit you have to twist it shut... leaving it unshut for more than a couple minutes is asking for a puddle of e-liquid all over the place. I have found that this can be somewhat reduced by simply cracking the chamber open by a 1/4 instead of opening it all the way... if I am going to use it for a few minutes before setting it down again that is what I do. I think this tank is better suited for home/couch use with a large powerful mod, and not at all ideal for a more mobile setup. I am frankly kinda scared to carry this tank in my pocket for fear of it leaking all over me... but we will see.

There is also the matter of the drip tip. The outer part of the drip tip is milled aluminum, but when you pop it off you can see that the stem of the drip tip is plastic, that is an unnecessary weak point in the design... this should have been solid aluminum with a rubber o-ring.

All in all I think it is a good setup but I probably should have gone with an innokin isub apex tank instead of the ijoy Reaper plus... the Reaper Plus with the MVP 3.0 Pro is not the most ideal tank + mod matchup... not terrible by any means, but not really ideal either.

If innokin ever makes an MVP 4.0 Pro it should be a 100w mod with TC and all the latest features. It would also be nice if it came with the multi function cable stock and a female USB C connector for input *and output (usb c is can be two way). I feel like innokin was *almost there with the 3.0 pro but like I said before, it is a last generation product, it needs to be updated in order to be completely competitive. But it is still a good mod if you don't need fancy features and you pair it with an appropriate tank and coil.

Last edited:

VapeVillian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I got my new kit in the mail yesterday (that was super quick, I guess the place I ordered from is in Cali). Anyway here is my review!!

The MVP 3.0 pro is built like a friggin tank, the build quality is beyond excellent, it looks like a part that fell off a fighter jet. It is rather large, but with the tank off, the whole kit is still roughly analogous to a pack of Camel 99's and a lighter, so it is within acceptable parameters as far as I am concerned.

By default it was setup for variable voltage mode instead of variable wattage mode, and since it didn't come with an instruction manual it took me awhile to figure out how to switch modes... it really should come with a small instruction manual and should default to variable wattage (auto mode).

I do have a couple gripes with it. The stock charging cable on the bottom only has a micro usb port but it has a plastic tab the shape of a lightning connector. Turns out that there is an accessory cable you can buy to replace the stock cable that has both the micro usb and the lightning connector. But the problem with that is that it was hard to find in stock anywhere and it is black in color, where as the stock one is gray to match the aluminum bottom panel. I went ahead and ordered this accessory cable but really this multi function cable should have been the stock cable and it should have been gray/silver to match. Minor gripe really but it struck me as lazy and cheap on the part of innokin.

The other gripe is the power output. This is my first sub ohm kit and previously with 1.5 ohm coils on my sigelei 50w mod I never needed to go over 15w in order to get a good throaty hit. But with this ijoy Reaper Plus tank and .3ohm or .4ohm coils even maxed out at 60w it does not deliver that solid throat hit... 60w is simply not enough for this tank, this tank needs 100w+ to do it justice and frankly considering the size of the MVP 3.0 pro I think it should be able to put out 100w+.

As far as the ijoy Reaper Plus tank itself is concerned... on the whole it is incredibly well built, it is a mini work of art. But it also has a couple problems. The biggest problem is that the RBA II coil base is badly designed, in fact I would go as far as to say it is completely worthless. I tried building the coil in a couple different arrangements (including what is shown on the ijoy site) with ample cotton wicking material and no matter the configuration the moment you open the chamber and expose the coil to the liquid tank it just runs straight out the bottom and leaks all over the place. This isn't even a minor leak, it is literally like turning a shot glass upside down, the entire contents of the liquid tank will leak out the bottom of the coil in a matter of 2-3 seconds (hella messy). I do not believe ijoy tested this device at all, that is a serious design flaw that should have never made it past the product design phase. I've done some research on it and it turns out I am not the only one who experienced this so I know I am not crazy. This tank also does not come with a proper instruction manual which is inexcusable as it is a complicated piece.

Another issue with the tank is its propensity to leak even with the pre-built coils (although not even close to as bad as the RBA head), the tank has the ability to shut off the flow from the tank to the coil by twisting the tank section to the right, but this is less a bonus feature for making coil changes easier (as advertised) and more of a necessary, required function to keep the tank from leaking. Whenever you are done taking a hit you have to twist it shut... leaving it unshut for more than a couple minutes is asking for a puddle of e-liquid all over the place. I have found that this can be somewhat reduced by simply cracking the chamber open by a 1/4 instead of opening it all the way... if I am going to use it for a few minutes before setting it down again that is what I do. I think this tank is better suited for home/couch use with a large powerful mod, and not at all ideal for a more mobile setup. I am frankly kinda scared to carry this tank in my pocket for fear of it leaking all over me... but we will see.

There is also the matter of the drip tip. The outer part of the drip tip is milled aluminum, but when you pop it off you can see that the stem of the drip tip is plastic, that is an unnecessary weak point in the design... this should have been solid aluminum with a rubber o-ring.

All in all I think it is a good setup but I probably should have gone with an innokin isub apex tank instead of the ijoy Reaper plus... the Reaper Plus with the MVP 3.0 Pro is not the most ideal tank + mod matchup... not terrible by any means, but not really ideal either.

If innokin ever makes an MVP 4.0 Pro it should be a 100w mod with TC and all the latest features. It would also be nice if it came with the multi function cable stock and a female USB C connector for input *and output (usb c is can be two way). I feel like innokin was *almost there with the 3.0 pro but like I said before, it is a last generation product, it needs to be updated in order to be completely competitive. But it is still a good mod if you don't need fancy features and you pair it with an appropriate tank and coil.

That's weird m8. When I got mine originally (it was way back when it was the MVP pro 3.0 and iSub G tank), it came with an instruction manual, micro USB to USB, and an outlet adapter.

As far as the wattage/voltage goes, even fully charged, it won't produce a full 60w at .5 ohm and lower.

Honestly for the price, there are 100 - 200w TC mods for the same price. Only thing is, with some of them you need to buy batteries as well.

That's weird m8. When I got mine originally (it was way back when it was the MVP pro 3.0 and iSub G tank), it came with an instruction manual, micro USB to USB, and an outlet adapter.

As far as the wattage/voltage goes, even fully charged, it won't produce a full 60w at .5 ohm and lower.

Honestly for the price, there are 100 - 200w TC mods for the same price. Only thing is, with some of them you need to buy batteries as well.

Yea it came with the micro usb to usb charging cable and an ego thread adapter but that is it. No wall USB wall charger (not that I need one, I have a billion of them), no instruction manual, nada. The price was good, $45 at myfreedomsmokes so it was pretty cheap and for the price, excellent. But you are right, there are 100 - 200w mods readily available for not much more... that being said I stand by my comment that this is a last gen product, it is weaker than it should be.

VapeVillian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea it came with the micro usb to usb charging cable and an ego thread adapter but that is it. No wall USB wall charger (not that I need one, I have a billion of them), no instruction manual, nada. The price was good, $45 at myfreedomsmokes so it was pretty cheap and for the price, excellent. But you are right, there are 100 - 200w mods readily available for not much more... that being said I stand by my comment that this is a last gen product, it is weaker than it should be.
Yea, I have to agree with you. With the lack of temp control and amperage output (that is why you get the 4500mah), I can't believe it's selling for the same price as October of last year. I'll always be partial to it though as it was my first LoLz.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

My first MVP, the V2, fell off the hood of my truck when my wife drove off with it, was run over by a car in the street and still works a year later. It has some deep scratches and slightly bent. I use it every day still.

Innokin tanks have always sucked.

ray4877

ECF Refugee
Instruction manual should be under the foam in the package for the MVP.

If I remember correctly Innokin wanted to include the apple connector but could not because of Apple or cost of license.

Last edited:

Rangertrix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Instruction manual should be under the foam in the package for the MVP.

If I remember correctly Innokin wanted to include the apple connector but could not because of Apple or cost of license.

Correct.

VU Sponsors