Become a Patron!

mod selection help

jsr27

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hey guys I'm looking into buying a new mechanical mod best used for sub-ohming. I'm looking at the panzer, the Caravella or the nemeses. They will be clones and need advice on which mod is going to perform the best. is one put out more vapor than the other? thanks for advice.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
IMO, unless you want to go with Gold or Silver, any mod made of Copper, or at least Brass. Both of these metals are better cunductors than SS. I recently bought the authentic Smoktech Magneto II (FT SKU 1878602), and I love it.

MoFasterMo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For sub-ohming I prefer my ss Nemesis clone over my brass Caravella clone, but I would look for
a highly rated copper mod and upgrade it with FDV magnets.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
SS holds up much better and the right ss mod will have low voltage drop. The ss SMPL at fasttech has great conductivity due to the ridiculously simple design. Three main parts plus a clip and spring. I much prefer ss for a first mech and soft metals for additional purchases if desired. Low voltage drop means nothing if the threads get destroyed and the mod doesn't work. Start with durability and reliability, then worry about soft, corrosion prone pieces. Just my opinion.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
SS holds up much better and the right ss mod will have low voltage drop. The ss SMPL at fasttech has great conductivity due to the ridiculously simple design. Three main parts plus a clip and spring. I much prefer ss for a first mech and soft metals for additional purchases if desired. Low voltage drop means nothing if the threads get destroyed and the mod doesn't work. Start with durability and reliability, then worry about soft, corrosion prone pieces. Just my opinion.
It's just a matter of tightening the RDA, so you don't strip the threads. You can even strip the threads on a SS connection.

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i vote for a fasttech Nemesis with a hybrid cap. I also use bigger magnets from supermagnetman.com (i think that is right) even in 18650 mode it won't fire when standing up. every other mod I look at brings me back to the nemesis being better.

My daily beater is a POS nemesis I bought from focal and it still performs well. (the threading is different than the fasttech versions) but I use it everyday.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's just a matter of tightening the RDA, so you don't strip the threads. You can even strip the threads on a SS connection.
It's a matter of copper and brass being much softer metals than ss. That's a fact. I could use my hands and a ss rda to rip the 510 threads out of a copper or brass mod. If the rda and mod both had ss 510 threads, I'd need to use tools to be able to apply enough force to wreck the threads. I hope you're not implying copper and brass is as durable as stainless steel because they're not. If you like soft metal mods that's certainly your choice. Saying there are no reliability or durability advantages to using stainless steel over copper or brass is ridiculous. If that's not what you're implying, then I don't know what point you were trying to make.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
It's a matter of copper and brass being much softer metals than ss. That's a fact. I could use my hands and a ss rda to rip the 510 threads out of a copper or brass mod. If the rda and mod both had ss 510 threads, I'd need to use tools to be able to apply enough force to wreck the threads. I hope you're not implying copper and brass is as durable as stainless steel because they're not. If you like soft metal mods that's certainly your choice. Saying there are no reliability or durability advantages to using stainless steel over copper or brass is ridiculous. If that's not what you're implying, then I don't know what point you were trying to make.
I agree, brass is softer than SS, copper is softer than brass. All I was trying to say is, you need to be aware of it. Therefore, not stripping the threads, when tightening down the RDA.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, I hear you. It's all good man. Here's some of my thoughts that may be useful for some. With brass and copper, corrosion and tarnishing is an issue so more maintenance is required. Also the softness of the metals requires more care to ensure it doesn't get wore out or destroyed. Also the lower voltage drop is nice, I just don't think these are issues a person new to mechs needs to worry about just yet. Getting their atty's setup to work well with a fixed voltage power supply and getting a handle on all the safety concerns that come with using mechs is enough of a learning curve to deal with. I believe a durable and reliable mech made of corrosion resistant and extremely strong metal is the way to go for a tube mech rookie. Worrying about getting something that "hits like a truck" but requires much more maintenance and care just to keep it working is for mech veterans, not rookies. Just my opinion.

Blewt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
As long as your connections are copper/brass/silver plated, anything will work fine with limited voltage drop. It really comes down to personal preference.

My Neme clone's button stripped out and won't go together anymore. Clones aren't always built with the same tolerances/materials of the originals, so don't expect exceptional build quality from any of them.

If you don't mind a heavy SS mod with a recessed bottom button, the Panzer isn't a bad choice. Neme's are hit and miss. I don't have any experience with the Caravella clones.

The good news is, clones are pretty cheap so even if you don't like it, you can grab another one and use it as a backup :)

VU Sponsors