Become a Patron!

Mod config required please

Hi, I'm new here, thank you for accepting me.
I'm not new in vaping but I never learned the correct setup of coils. My current coil is burning up the cotton too fast I believe, I have to change the cotton every day and a half.

Please your help to understand what I am doing wrong with the coils or config in my mod
Mod: lost vape thelema quest
Tank: Dead Rabbit V2
20230804_073245.jpg

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Welcome to VU ! :cheers:

I don't think the mod has anything to do with burning through wick.
I believe it's about the wicking.
Could be too tight in the coil and/or the wicking ports, although that would result in flavor loss, but maybe it is?
Perhaps try looser in the coil but not so much that it will sag inside it and not touch the inside top or the outside wrap(s) where the wick turns downwards < you probbably want the wick as it comes out of coil to be slightly higher than the coil. And maybe thinner/looser in the port. Being top AF, loose till it floods a little then slightly more - if it comes to that.

Other than that? IDK

Is the RTA new to you?

Can you say how you wick it and show a good close up of it? Maybe what you have is too bulky and the top inside of the bell compresses it?

Welcome to VU ! :cheers:

I don't think the mod has anything to do with burning through wick.
I believe it's about the wicking.
Could be too tight in the coil and/or the wicking ports, although that would result in flavor loss, but maybe it is?
Perhaps try looser in the coil but not so much that it will sag inside it and not touch the inside top or the outside wrap(s) where the wick turns downwards < you probbably want the wick as it comes out of coil to be slightly higher than the coil. And maybe thinner/looser in the port. Being top AF, loose till it floods a little then slightly more - if it comes to that.

Other than that? IDK

Is the RTA new to you?

Can you say how you wick it and show a good close up of it? Maybe what you have is too bulky and the top inside of the bell compresses it?
Thank you for the quick response. I think you are right, I usually tighten the ends too much. 16911584980153915934723829252762.jpgHere is a photo of the new wick after your recommendation

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll chime in, but certainly not a pro. Vape fan, and others here, can guide you better than me.

Apologies, I'm long winded...

It's hard to tell from that pic, and more picks of the entire building process, including with juice might help us better evaluate... *** Are the wick ends reaching the flat bottom of the RDA? If not, it won't wick up the juice and would def cause burnt cotton. Have you watched any YT vids on wicking RDA's? Specifically on that RDA! I've found that diff rdas can require slightly diff builds.

I use single coil builds bc the doubles burn up juice twice as fast. Dripping on a double coil build is probably going to require adding juice every couple hits - depending on how long you draw on each hit and how many drops you put in each time.

... when I drip, I've found I can put in 45 drops with out it overflowing out the vents (can't tip it sideways though). So a lot depends on how you use it. If you are only putting in 10 drops and expecting to get 20 hits off it, you'll burn up the wick for sure.

Because of these issues and others, I use single coil builds on a squonker. No dripping required. Fill the bottle and change battery once a day, change cotton every 2 weeks - but that can depend on the juice you use - if your juice is really sweet, you might need to change cotton weekly or sooner. I remember seeing someone on here say they change cotton daily.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
@Vape Fan gave good advice. There's just a couple additional things I'd ask.

Does cotton look burnt in the middle when you remove it after that day and a half? When you take the RTA apart, is the cotton good and wet? Or do the middle sections of the wicks look white-ish and dry?

Also, you've got a couple of fairly heavy-duty coils there. Do you dry burn them and check for hot spots? If you have a spot that's blazing red, much brighter than the metal around it, it may be burning the cotton because of excessive heat in just that one place. Also check to ensure that coils begin to heat from the center, and the heat then radiates out toward the coil legs.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I don't own it. So just an observation on what I'd do from there.

I'd make sure the coil height is accurate to the af.
It's a pic, but wick looks bulky like it can be thinned more.
I wouldn't let the wick be wider than the threads where the bell screws on.
I'd make the top right look like the top left, and the front left like the front right :question:

1691194343479.png

Last edited:

VU Sponsors