Become a Patron!

Midknight's Portal

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I actually had to turn the heat down today..woohoo!!
animated-jumping-smiley-image-0028.gif

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I don't know what it's like in Southside Virginia. I haven't been out of the house. Did have to cut the air on, though, so I'm guessing it's warm.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
DANGER: Geeky shit ahead...

Win7x64 Ultimate, Waterfox x64, with multi-process and nVidia acceleration enabled on an old homebuilt FX6300 @ 4ghz with 8GB of Sniper RAM and a GTX 770 2GB. All ASUS and Seasonic powered.

It's still righteous. :D

Snap832.jpg
  • 25/5 VDSL.
  • Streaming 5mb/sec video while on here
  • 720p MKV movie on pause,
  • Googling other stuffs
  • GPU @ 32C

No lag, even loading the video threads here. Try that on yer phones... :cool:

Last edited:

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Win7x64 Ultimate, Waterfox x64, with multi-process and nVidia acceleration enabled on an old homebuilt FX6300 @ 4ghz with 8GB of Sniper RAM and a GTX 770 2GB. All ASUS and Seasonic powered.

View attachment 133767
  • 25/5 VDSL.
  • Googling other stuffs
  • GPU @ 32C

Nice bro. I really need to get me a new pc built. I miss having a comp haha

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Warning...lengthy Geeky post....

View attachment 133767
  • 25/5 VDSL.
  • Googling other stuffs
  • GPU @ 32C

Cool. Nice one:D
Nice bro. I really need to get me a new pc built. I miss having a comp haha
I could help you w/that.
I've built several desktops. Maybe you have too.

Here's 3 that were for me. First was..
NZXT Duet case
Full ATX board in that little thing. Asus
Phenom 550 Black unlocked to X4 and ran it around 4Ghz
1 HDD
Sapphire 6850
4GB DDR3
Samsung CD/DVD
Silverstone 500W
7 Ult
I liked the SFF. Kinda tedious to build this one since everything was so snug and wire management took some trickery.
I need to look up that desktop app and see it it will work w/W10. Pretty cool. (looks like I had a Mac like dock on there too)
duet.png
screen.jpg

Next was..
Lian Li PC A05FNB case with a lot of mods.
Same platform (CPU/MB/RAM) and VC pulled from the Duet.
Seasonic 750X
7Ult then 10

Stock pic of case interior:
Untitled.png

I removed the HDD cage below the drive bays and prepped it to accept a Kuhler AIO liquid cooler. put a fan hole and air filter in the bottom as well as making a false bottom inside to cover the fan and create wire management space underneath it. Flushed the side of the drive cage with that strip of alum. Built a cover for the end of the ps to cover the cables coming out of it. Modified a fan adapter and fit it on the back of the drive bays w/ a slim fan. All the other fans have matchy alum covers. Made the window. There's plenty that can't be seen, like modding cables to fit perfectly, notching HDD adapter, and other misc that you wouldn't know unless it wasn't done. It's in a closet now since I changed everything to what I'm using.

x1.jpgback.jpg sata mod smaller.jpg
x3.jpg DSCF1180.jpg

Built my current one about 3 yrs ago.
This Hyperion Case in black because of the parts I spec'd - how all the components would be positioned. Like the size and shape too.
Maximus VIII Gene
GSkill 4x4GB 3200 DDR4
Samsung M.2 SSD 256GB
Corsair RM550X Gold
Samsung CD/DVD
Water cooled via Heatkiller block / EWKB fittings and res w/D5 pump / PrimoChill tubing
W10 Pro (x64)
Same old 10yr old 21" LG monitor but still works fine.
I have a 100GB 2.5 SSD for storage and 500GB spinner for back up, both external. I might put the 6850 VC in next time I change coolant, but I don't game or do anything that needs it and the board has all the connections needed.
Press of button to usable desktop is about 12 secs and navigating is pretty much instantaneous.
Overkill for what I ask it to do, but I like it that way :)
20160524_193910_resized_1.jpg

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Warning...lengthy Geeky post....

Cool. Nice one:D

I could help you w/that.
I've built several desktops. Maybe you have too.

Here's 3 that were for me. First was..
NZXT Duet case
Full ATX board in that little thing. Asus
Phenom 550 Black unlocked to X4 and ran it around 4Ghz
1 HDD
Sapphire 6850
4GB DDR3
Samsung CD/DVD
Silverstone 500W
7 Ult
I liked the SFF. Kinda tedious to build this one since everything was so snug and wire management took some trickery.
I need to look up that desktop app and see it it will work w/W10. Pretty cool. (looks like I had a Mac like dock on there too)
View attachment 133778
View attachment 133779

Next was..
Lian Li PC A05FNB case with a lot of mods.
Same platform (CPU/MB/RAM) and VC pulled from the Duet.
Seasonic 750X
7Ult then 10

Stock pic of case interior:
View attachment 133780

I removed the HDD cage below the drive bays and prepped it to accept a Kuhler AIO liquid cooler. put a fan hole and air filter in the bottom as well as making a false bottom inside to cover the fan and create wire management space underneath it. Flushed the side of the drive cage with that strip of alum. Built a cover for the end of the ps to cover the cables coming out of it. Modified a fan adapter and fit it on the back of the drive bays w/ a slim fan. All the other fans have matchy alum covers. Made the window. There's plenty that can't be seen, like modding cables to fit perfectly, notching HDD adapter, and other misc that you wouldn't know unless it wasn't done. It's in a closet now since I changed everything to what I'm using.

View attachment 133783View attachment 133787 View attachment 133789
View attachment 133784 View attachment 133785

Built my current one about 3 yrs ago.
This Hyperion Case in black because of the parts I spec'd - how all the components would be positioned. Like the size and shape too.
Maximus VIII Gene
GSkill 4x4GB 3200 DDR4
Samsung M.2 SSD 256GB
Corsair RM550X Gold
Samsung CD/DVD
Water cooled via Heatkiller block / EWKB fittings and res w/D5 pump / PrimoChill tubing
W10 Pro (x64)
Same old 10yr old 21" LG monitor but still works fine.
I have a 100GB 2.5 SSD for storage and 500GB spinner for back up, both external. I might put the 6850 VC in next time I change coolant, but I don't game or do anything that needs it and the board has all the connections needed.
Press of button to usable desktop is about 12 secs and navigating is pretty much instantaneous.
Overkill for what I ask it to do, but I like it that way :)
View attachment 133786
That's just gorgeous man. Wish I could afford a pc right now, but not happening haha. I like to game, but not so sure about this Steam thing that you do now to get the games nowadays. Last game I played on pc was Diablo II if tells you how long ago it was. I miss thegood old days of buying a game from a store, installing it from a disc and playing. When did it come to the point where you have to buy online and install online for everything? Maybe I'm old school, but that's me haha.

Even with all that being said, I seriously want to play Diablo III on pc with all the extra stuff you can do on that version. I love that game :) Sadly it will be a long while before I can afford a pc, money here is WAY too tight unfortunately.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I've never been a "gamer" but I would say about 12 or so years ago is when Steam happened.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've never been a "gamer" but I would say about 12 or so years ago is when Steam happened.
Ya, tell you how long it's been since I've had a pc LOL? Honestly, I miss pc gaming. Honestly, I like the old school games the best though.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sweet builds @Vape Fan !!

Mine is older now and pretty simple compared to those, but I like it. Just works for as much as I do.

Star of the show is an beasty old classic case I got for cheap: the Cooler Master HAF 932. Got for $40 used and fixed it up. I took off the busted casters and modded to use furniture slides. Some damn tough steel on the HAF!

Big 'ol HSF rocks. The case has all of the original 200mm fans plus I added some 140mm ones, it never blows hot air even in 100F summers.
MmlZViT.jpg

BtvVXgZ.jpg

GPU has been upgraded since that pic, but ya get the idea. My first real try at PC cable management, worked out decently.

CEx204p.jpg

Custom foam rubber for the holder-thingy, nice for charging stuff.

CM wanted an arm+leg for their fan filters, so I made my own from AC filter and good 'ol electrical tape. With a cat, it's a necessity.

Not fancy, but works nicely.

I used black mesh PCI covers to match the OEM front ones, pretty fun.
5431MpM.jpg

9ULNazx.jpg

Had a hell of a time getting the front panel jacks to work, but managed with an aftermarket cable. No SATA3 ports on the HAF's front, so installed a custom USB3 panel powered via SATA. It can do a nice 1A for charging on the far right port, switchable from regular.

Sounds provided by an Altec Lansing ACS45 2.1 system, the older one not the new ones that suck.
It shakes the floor just fine for a 1BR Apt.
hardrock-053.gif

(these aren't mine, just an ebay pic of the unit I have)

Has a Hauppauge TV-tuner for OTA-TV, and about 4.5TB of storage counting NAS stuff; No SSD's yet, I rarely reboot the thing and don't game so it's optional to me. HDD is still cheaper and I'm ok with it.

It's 'vintage' now I guess as built in 2014 for like $350, but it's my baby. :D
Has a ridiculous amount of upgrade room for the future if I need it.
Qrj6bXU.jpg

I would like to change the LEDs to all blue, but it's just more work on those old fans than it's worth.

Plus, my Roccat Kone Pure is set to purple and it's sorta matches. :D
oIXcabG.jpg

Recently picked up a vintage MS model 1014 wireless keyboard for $1, it's in perfect shape and I love it. Just good old solid gear.

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Nice setup. That 932 was very popular and still a good one. Nice big easy maintenance cooler. Nice find on the kb.

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nice to see some desktop peeps still around. I'm a desktop guy. Laptops, tablets, phablets, are all fine but I still prefer a mouse/keyboard at my desk, in my chair. A lot of mobile sites kind of suck too...

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nice setup. That 932 was very popular and still a good one. Nice big easy maintenance cooler. Nice find on the kb.

Thanks!
It's old school, but it purrs along and does what I ask of it. Can't complain. :)

That classic 'ol KB has *17* programmable keys, including one-button to MyDocs/Pics/Music, separate log-off and sleep buttons and a key just to launch the damn calculator app...egads. It means bizness. :D

In the four or so years I've had that PC, my parents and a buddy have blown through like 3-4 $400+ WorstBuy computers, it's crazy-making. :crazy:

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nice to see some desktop peeps still around. I'm a desktop guy. Laptops, tablets, phablets, are all fine but I still prefer a mouse/keyboard at my desk, in my chair. A lot of mobile sites kind of suck too...

Agreed. I have a salvaged 2nd-gen i3 lappy running Mint nicely, but it doesn't get used that much really.
Never had a tablet. Didn't get a smart phone until 2014-15..LOL!

I gotta a comfy adjustable desk chair and a ottoman, both for free. I'm chillaxed and watching golf now.... :cool:

Would like a bigger monitor at some point, but that would mean a new desk and this 22" 0.28 dot pitch Gateway-branded LCD from like 2008 just won't quit. It has excellent Adobe-calibrated color for a non-LED. I do have a 32" TV/Monitor via HDMI nearby if I want to watch a movie or dual-stream sports, plus a whole 'nother old PC/LED-TV/AV Receiver setup in the living room for summertime.

Pretty content here. I don't need all the newest things. :)

Last edited:

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm having fun drooling over y'alls pc's LOL. One day I say....on day

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm having fun drooling over y'alls pc's LOL. One day I say....on day

Well mate, if ya just wanted something to surf and play older games with, just pick up an upgradeable used PC at thrift or something. I see 'em for like $25-50 all the time. Peeps literally throw away old C2D PCs.

Don't need an i7 to play a game from years ago: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/34784

Just make sure it CAN be upgraded and isn't proprietary crap. Most parts are pretty cheap. ;-)

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Have had good luck myself with older "workstation" model laptops that have separate graphics boards with dedicated memory. That is if you know how to replace the CPU thermal paste to keep them from overheating. HP 8530w is one example, or Dell E6420, fast older PCs that just beat the hell out of new business or home tier laptops.

Certainly not in the league you guys are building, but more than adequate for browsing, nice audio and streaming video, and available with a warranty on eBay for about $150. I have three kids and ten grandkids. My kids are always broke. Money has to stretch.

I'm using the E6420 now, bought it for $175 off eBay in July 2017. It's way better than the laptop my office gave me for working from home.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just noticed something today that made me go "whaaat?!"

One of my fave old RDAs is the Veritas, it's a classic. But, did you know it's logo reads the same upside down?

ra7LJ0S.jpg

QrsTza0.jpg

I've had this RDA for years and just noticed that today.
surprised-031.gif

mindblown.jpg

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ack, seems a long day. Tiki woke me up like 0530 because apparently she cant fill her own water dish. ;)

So, I watched golf then napped. Watched some sports in afternoon, but now WA Sate is getting reamed by the dang Ducks and I'm leaning towards giving Tik her 'treat/pill" now and curling up with her again for Zzzz.

A lotta sports going on TMW, plus I should walk to TJ's for a couple things since it is being nicer out.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good morning! Last night the cops were out in full force pulling over drunk drivers. Another work day for me. I'm working a unit this weekend that has 4 500 plus folks in bariatric beds. I feel like I'm living in my 600lb life series.

Dang, that doesn't sound super-fun. :)

Went to MX store a bit ago to snag a cabbage and some spring onions for making Colcannon, but found a nifty new-to-me hot sauce too for only $2.99.

CzOijQ7.jpg

They only use certified Yucatan habaneros in a family recipe. Pretty cool.

More infos:

https://www.mexgrocer.com/brand-capitan-bravo.html
https://capitan-bravo.myshopify.com/collections/inicio/products/salsa-habanero

It's really flavorful, a bit thin, not tooo vinegary, and has a nice green hab burn. Me likey! :D

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Lovely day today!!

Went on a walk to Trader Joe's for a few things, it's actually near 50F and with gorgeous blue skies.
I even turned off the heat for awhile and cracked a window so Tiki can get some outdoor smellz going on. She loves it.

hFRXDfv.jpg

Got yummies.

Three nice beers for $2.74, just how I like it.

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
'mornin everybody, how goes it?

I see Bob's running around as usual.

Mighty healthy-looking groceries you got there Caff. My groceries never look that healthy. You have no Oreos or nuthin. How do you live? (Bet you got eggs to fry, though, which is the next best thing.)

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good morning in here! On my second cup of coffee. I really need it. I have to go food shopping for my low carb items. Last night I made low carb cheesecake muffins. I plan on topping them with strawberries and real whipped cream without sugar. I am also making low carb pizza.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
'mornin everybody, how goes it?

I see Bob's running around as usual.

Mighty healthy-looking groceries you got there Caff. My groceries never look that healthy. You have no Oreos or nuthin. How do you live? (Bet you got eggs to fry, though, which is the next best thing.)

Hehe, thanks! TJ's has nice stuff, as long as you pay attn as much of their wares can be horribly overpriced. But, it's the closest store so eh...
Yes, always eggs around. :)

Good morning in here! On my second cup of coffee. I really need it. I have to go food shopping for my low carb items. Last night I made low carb cheesecake muffins. I plan on topping them with strawberries and real whipped cream without sugar. I am also making low carb pizza.

Ya, you know it's a day when you grind the beans, get everythingall set, then forget the hot water in the micro and it's cold and have to do it over...argh.
But, coffee is made now...:coffee2:

I plan to roast up some of the sprouts, little potatoes, and zuchinni with butter, red onion, and garlic later on when I've awake enough to use a chef's knife. Should be nomz. :shades:

Hmm, I was gonna get cream cheese too for my bagels...dern. :D

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm in Orlando, it's 64 degrees and I'm freezing......when I get off my plane it will be 54, when I get up in the morning it will be 34.....WTF am I doing.....

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I love bbq, that's what we did for my son's birthday Saturday. He wants me to grill out on his birthday every year. He's 9 now and you can pretty much bank that's his wish on his birthday haha. I love that kid, any excuse to grill is a good day :)

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Anyone in here use salt nic and diy? Around xmas I was going to buy some but life happened. I really need something to vape that will hit the brain (neurotransmitters) at work in a 5 minute break. I'm a nurse and I'm finding this job overwhelming. I need to get a nic dose in 5 minutes or less or I'm might have a melt down. I'm currently vaping 2-5mg/mL but it seems like I vape constantly. Its like overeating. I need to reduce! :) Any ideas? Do you think I should buy premade? I'm also a MTL'er.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anyone in here use salt nic and diy? Around xmas I was going to buy some but life happened. I really need something to vape that will hit the brain (neurotransmitters) at work in a 5 minute break. I'm a nurse and I'm finding this job overwhelming. I need to get a nic dose in 5 minutes or less or I'm might have a melt down. I'm currently vaping 2-5mg/mL but it seems like I vape constantly. Its like overeating. I need to reduce! :) Any ideas? Do you think I should buy premade? I'm also a MTL'er.
Personally, I would just up your nic some, maybe go to 9 our 12mg for at work to get that faster, easier nic fix and 2-5mg for asst home when it's not as stressful. Just my 2 cents.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

I had nothing but problems with nic salts. It makes me sneeze, I mean after every single hit, plus you have to very nearly DOUBLE the amount of flavoring you put in juice or the taste just disappears.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Personally, I would just up your nic some, maybe go to 9 our 12mg for at work to get that faster, easier nic fix and 2-5mg for asst home when it's not as stressful. Just my 2 cents.

I'll probably do that. Thank you!
I had nothing but problems with nic salts. It makes me sneeze, I mean after every single hit, plus you have to very nearly DOUBLE the amount of flavoring you put in juice or the taste just disappears.
I didn't think of the extra flavoring. Yikes! Thanks for your input! Looks like I'll just up the nic for work days. Just ordered some goodies from Bull city flavors. I finally scored the banana candy I have been eyeballing.

VU Sponsors