Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
"The health director admitted to Rep. LaFave in a House Oversight Committee hearing last week that she had no idea 80 percent of adult e-cigarette users use flavored nicotine before they announced the flavor ban.

“The majority of adults who use e-cigarettes vape a flavor other than tobacco,” LaFave said. “This ban is an overreach that will potentially make criminals out of adults who are trying to use a safer alternative to kick the habit of traditional tobacco cigarettes. This will undoubtedly create a black market for these products which could be even more dangerous to public health.”

LaFave said the United Kingdom has determined e-cigarettes are 95 percent less harmful than traditional tobacco cigarettes.

In addition to limiting the governor’s authority, LaFave’s legislation, House Bill 4996, would also prohibit the federal government
from banning e-cigarettes."

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Written to my State Representative this morning:

Dear Representative Maddock,

Thank you for supporting Rep. LaFave's HB 4996.

Written to my State Senator this morning:

Dear Senator Johnson,

I would urge the Michigan Senate to consider introducing legislation
parallel to Representative LaFave's House Bill 4996, seeking to
overturn Governor Whitmer's and the State's DHHS' what I feel to
be a usurpation of the State's legislative process.

This ban goes into effect in a mere eight (8) days. If allowed to go
into effect, I believe it will have a profound negative impact on
thousands of Michigan small businesses and adult residents. Surely
there are less Draconian means of addressing the recent surge in the
use of vape products by minors?

(Syntax is a bit tortured in that first para to my Senator, but she'll get the idea.)

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
“I don’t care if the executive is a Republican or Democrat nor a governor or president,” LaFave said. “Bad public policies implemented without input from lawmakers should never be ignored. I urge my colleagues from both sides of the aisle to look at all the facts before we rush to judgement and put thousands of Michiganders out of work and force thousands more back to smoking combustible cigarettes.”

This is what needs to catch on at both state and federal levels.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Gee, and I thought the issue was mostly bad politicians, policies, legislators, and legislation. Starting with Infringements, and ending with "take care of your own damned self and kids".

Overreach is what they continually look for, so this mostly sez "we'll overreach only after sending mil/billions to 'studies', wasting more in $ & cash in committee, and then - we'll infringe your Rights, because the mob demands we do so"

VU Sponsors