Become a Patron!

Mech mod blowing up?

Austins36

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just a quick question i cant seem to find. If a mech mod is going to explode due to coil, will it just randomly explode? Or will it start heating up the battery very hot, or luckewarm? Also will it make a noise...?

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There are many factors involved....most of which would involve taxing your battery unsafely. I am sure the experts will chime in on what those risks involve soon.

VaporJoe

_ the end has arrived _
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Just a quick question i cant seem to find. If a mech mod is going to explode due to coil, will it just randomly explode? Or will it start heating up the battery very hot, or luckewarm? Also will it make a noise...?

Mods don't just explode. Something causes the battery to go critical and vent - usually a bad short or the battery is pushing too many amps for its rating. There are warning signs though. The mod itself will get extremely hot. Not warm, but HOT - you wont be able to touch it. I have had that happen to me a few times and I just eject the batteries - and never used them again.

If there is a venting situation - most mods have vent holes that will allow the gases to escape. In very very rare occasions (I know of 3 in the history of vaping) the mod can explode. These were usually older mods with batteries that were crappy re-wrapped and nondescript. Most of us now use IMR batteries which are a safer chemistry - less volatile. Its the older ICR batteries ( Trustfire, Ultrafire, etc) that tend to cause these problems. Most of them are just rewrapped batteries pulled from old laptop batteries in China.

If you hearing noise like a very shallow whistle or tone - that is a bad connection.

Austins36

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Mods don't just explode. Something causes the battery to go critical and vent - usually a bad short or the battery is pushing too many amps for its rating. There are warning signs though. The mod itself will get extremely hot. Not warm, but HOT - you wont be able to touch it. I have had that happen to me a few times and I just eject the batteries - and never used them again.

If there is a venting situation - most mods have vent holes that will allow the gases to escape. In very very rare occasions (I know of 3 in the history of vaping) the mod can explode. These were usually older mods with batteries that were crappy re-wrapped and nondescript. Most of us now use IMR batteries which are a safer chemistry - less volatile. Its the older ICR batteries ( Trustfire, Ultrafire, etc) that tend to cause these problems. Most of them are just rewrapped batteries pulled from old laptop batteries in China.

If you hearing noise like a very shallow whistle or tone - that is a bad connection.
Wow you know what your talking about man appreciate it!! My mod has been warming up but not to where i cant touch it and the battery seems lukewarm barely warm, But i keep hearing this zzzz every now and then for a little while when i power up the coil is that normal? Or is that the shallow whistle thing?

VaporJoe

_ the end has arrived _
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Wow you know what your talking about man appreciate it!! My mod has been warming up but not to where i cant touch it and the battery seems lukewarm barely warm, But i keep hearing this zzzz every now and then for a little while when i power up the coil is that normal? Or is that the shallow whistle thing?

Could be dirty contacts. I'd try cleaning them.

Austins36

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Could be dirty contacts. I'd try cleaning them.
I just did and its working perfect now man :3 i love you bro If you need any juice labels designs etc... please hit me up first ill do it free i appreciate your help brother :D

Attachments

• Vaperjoes.jpg
    Vaperjoes.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 8

dingo1799

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

3 that you know of.... what about all the clowns that arent smart enough to browse the intranets, or did it and didnt tell anyone.

in other news, anyone that uses a battery or charger with "-fire" in the name, well, seems like sooner or later, it'll live up to its name

Austins36

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well atleast clowns like me will google this and see this forum and hopefully answer there question :) Always good make forums how else would we get answers? And views

VU Sponsors