Become a Patron!

Measuring inner diameter/leg length

Youngvapor

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hi again vapers! So thing is. I want to wrap my own coils. I want them to be 0.15 ohm SS on my triple deck. However. How do i measure the inner diameter of the deck and leg length? It is the only information i miss for building a coil out of the "coil wrapping" tool in steam engine.

I tried to search for inner diameter measurements of the tfv12 rba-t but i couldnt find any information regarding this

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It is the leg's distance from the coil to the post.s.

Dutch0hms

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It does not measure the inner diameter and leg length ? By inner diameter i guess it means how much space i have on my deck for more wraps ?
By the innerdiameter they mean the innerdiameter of the coil, so thats the outerdiameter of the jig/tool u wrap it around.
I've made a example for you with 26g ss316l cause i didnt knew what gauge u had.

U can leave the leg lenght at 5,0mm this doensnt affect it too much, if u wanna be precise u should measure it aswell.
v8j18o.png

Youngvapor

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
By the innerdiameter they mean the innerdiameter of the coil, so thats the outerdiameter of the jig/tool u wrap it around.
I've made a example for you with 26g ss316l cause i didnt knew what gauge u had.

U can leave the leg lenght at 5,0mm this doensnt affect it too much, if u wanna be precise u should measure it aswell.
v8j18o.png
U are a genius! Many thanks :D i always thought inner diameter was the deck. I"ll buy some jig tools in different diameters and find a sweet spot :)

Youngvapor

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

v8j18o.png
Btw lets say i need 5 wraps. Is the end of the wire before it goes into the hole counted as a wrap ? And another thing

Do i need to buy wires with the required ohms ? I see alot of wires doesnt have any ohms

Dutch0hms

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Btw lets say i need 5 wraps. Is the end of the wire before it goes into the hole counted as a wrap ? And another thing

Do i need to buy wires with the required ohms ? I see alot of wires doesnt have any ohms
The thicker the wire the lower the resistance is, i think if u get 26g ss316l u would be fine.
If u would use for example like 24g ss316l u can achieve the same resistance but with less wraps.

Dutch0hms

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The thicker the wire the lower the resistance is, i think if u get 26g ss316l u would be fine.
If u would use for example like 24g ss316l u can achieve the same resistance but with less wraps cause the resistance of the wire is lower.

Youngvapor

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If u would use for example like 24g ss316l u can achieve the same resistance but with less wraps.
Okay. So there is no ohm spec on the wires? You just wrap it until it has the correct ohms ?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay. So there is no ohm spec on the wires? You just wrap it until it has the correct ohms ?
you put the type of wire, gauge and inner diameter of the wire in along with single, dual, etc. in and what resistance you're shooting for and it will tell you the wraps you need.

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
There IS an ohm spec on wire - but the calculator takes that into account for you.
Otherwise, you'd have to use Pi, and figure out how long a wire is when it coils around and around a 3mm post 5 times...

I'd pick up a "coilmaster" or similar simple tool. It gives you several diameter rods, and a handy way to evenly wrap the coil just by turning...

coil-master-blue-5.jpg

Youngvapor

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks for all the replies. So helpfull! I bought a coilmaster and some wire. I always thought the wires had ohms but i guess those wires that doesnt have ohms have a standard ohm? I think i understand now :) Will report if my device reads wrong. Anyone know where i can buy screwdriver for the screws? I usually get this everytime i buy a coil head, but this screwdriver from smok is really just some bad junk :D

Would be glad if i could buy it free shipping somewhere :)
Im not from the states but from the EU

Dutch0hms

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for all the replies. So helpfull! I bought a coilmaster and some wire. I always thought the wires had ohms but i guess those wires that doesnt have ohms have a standard ohm? I think i understand now :) Will report if my device reads wrong. Anyone know where i can buy screwdriver for the screws? I usually get this everytime i buy a coil head, but this screwdriver from smok is really just some bad junk :D

Would be glad if i could buy it free shipping somewhere :)
Im not from the states but from the EU
You where right, the wire does have a resistance but like r055co said thats measured on the lenght u use for the coil, so it is easier to just calculate it.
Later u will get a little insight in what wires to use to reach a certain resistance.

http://www.steam-engine.org/ Clickable :)

Youngvapor

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ok guys so i understand now i think! Less gauge means bigger wire and less wraps. More gauge means smaller wire and more wraps am i right? Damn, i bought some 26gauge wire and it is so small it is redicolous. What gauge should i use for the tfv12-rba-t ??

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok guys so i understand now i think! Less gauge means bigger wire and less wraps. More gauge means smaller wire and more wraps am i right? Damn, i bought some 26gauge wire and it is so small it is redicolous. What gauge should i use for the tfv12-rba-t ??
No higher gauge is smaller wire for higher resistance = less wraps

www.steam-engine.org is your best friend

VU Sponsors