Become a Patron!

measuring device suggestions

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
SO i have decided I like DIY for making my own peach mango flavor.

Originally to start out I was using a basic syringe I had from the pharmacy that h s marking for up to 3ml with tenths of a ml marked

This is not going to cut it in the long run. If I am going to be making 50-100ml and upwards I need something better and faster and NEATER.

The first thing I found is
http://www.bullcityvapor.com/plastic-beakers/

These will work great for the nic juice and vg

Btu I am at a loss on the flavoring

These bottles are a pain in the rear to draw liquid from with a syringe.
I could use a syringe with a blunt tip needle and that would be great
Only issue is these flavors form FA come with this dripper top that you have to remove first to get the syringe or need in the bottle. They seem to leak if you dont replace them for storage. So that's a pain.

So I thought what about a bottle with a calibrated dripper built in. I could transfer the flavor to those bottles and dispense from there.
But I couldn't find one. I even started a thread here about them. The best we found is a 30ml bottle with a PLASTIC calibrated dripper top.
The concerns some expressed with that is, the flavor could get stuck in the dripper since its plastic
and
the calibrations will probably wear off

So its time to ask the experts

What in the world do you use to store and dispense your flavorings, and be able to measure out amounts in tenths of mls?

I want simplicity I want to have the fewest things laying around to do this with.

Thanks in advance

JXN

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I guess I'll be the second to recommend a scale. I did use a syringe today to draw some RY4 out of a 120mL bottle with no dripper. I could have just poured I guess. Normally only use syringes to fill tanks that have a small opening. I keep all my flavors in their original bottles.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I don't use the method but you seem like a perfect candidate to mix by weight. Have you looked into that method at all?
I have seen that mentioned but have no clue about it. Not sure how that would help with simplicity, since it sounds like it involves adding a scale to my arsenal of mess already on my desk.But if someone knows more about this I'm willing to entertain the idea

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have seen that mentioned but have no clue about it. Not sure how that would help with simplicity, since it sounds like it involves adding a scale to my arsenal of mess already on my desk.But if someone knows more about this I'm willing to entertain the idea

There are a few here that mix with a scale, I'm sure someone will chime in. The scale should get rid of all other measuring devices. You can leave the dripper tip on your flavoring bottles and drip/pour flavor, nic, and PG/VG directly into your juice bottle.

PincheWero

Member For 4 Years
I use the standard FA bottles (and others as well) and a scale. Place my beaker/bottle on the scale empty and tare it. first flavor X-ml by drop to that amount, hit tare and on to the next. til all flavors are finished. then tare, add nic with syringe, tare add vg (I use max vg so no added pg) with syringe, and then tare add PG with syringe. Hope that kind of makes sense. I also have so additives such as vinegar's, EM, Citric Acid, and AP that I keep in vials, I use syringes on those as well.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I use the standard FA bottles (and others as well) and a scale. Place my beaker/bottle on the scale empty and tare it. first flavor X-ml by drop to that amount, hit tare and on to the next. til all flavors are finished. then tare, add nic with syringe, tare add vg (I use max vg so no added pg) with syringe, and then tare add PG with syringe. Hope that kind of makes sense. I also have so additives such as vinegar's, EM, Citric Acid, and AP that I keep in vials, I use syringes on those as well.
OK how do you know how much say a ml of flavor x or flavor y or nic juice weighs

sketchness

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Weight of PG: 1.038 grams per ml
Weight of VG: 1.26 grams per ml
Weight of 100mg in PG: 1.0352 grams per ml
Weight of 100mg in VG: 1.235 grams per ml

most flavorings that I use are PG so i go with 1.03, looking at specific gravity most seem to fall close enough that I dont worry about a slight difference. If using alcohol based flavorings you would want to figure those out.

stolen from this thread: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/guide-to-mixing-by-weight.22891/

soulshine

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sounds like a lot of trouble and expense to go through for making 1 juice with 2 flavors. If it's FA, your %'s can't be THAT high. Why not just pull the dripper off of the 30 ml FA bottle and use a 3 ml syringe. Hell, make 240 ml while you're at it if its your all day vape and be done with it for awhile. Just saying :)

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
SO i have decided I like DIY for making my own peach mango flavor.

Originally to start out I was using a basic syringe I had from the pharmacy that h s marking for up to 3ml with tenths of a ml marked

This is not going to cut it in the long run. If I am going to be making 50-100ml and upwards I need something better and faster and NEATER.

The first thing I found is
http://www.bullcityvapor.com/plastic-beakers/

These will work great for the nic juice and vg

Btu I am at a loss on the flavoring

These bottles are a pain in the rear to draw liquid from with a syringe.
I could use a syringe with a blunt tip needle and that would be great
Only issue is these flavors form FA come with this dripper top that you have to remove first to get the syringe or need in the bottle. They seem to leak if you dont replace them for storage. So that's a pain.

So I thought what about a bottle with a calibrated dripper built in. I could transfer the flavor to those bottles and dispense from there.
But I couldn't find one. I even started a thread here about them. The best we found is a 30ml bottle with a PLASTIC calibrated dripper top.
The concerns some expressed with that is, the flavor could get stuck in the dripper since its plastic
and
the calibrations will probably wear off

So its time to ask the experts

What in the world do you use to store and dispense your flavorings, and be able to measure out amounts in tenths of mls?

I want simplicity I want to have the fewest things laying around to do this with.

Thanks in advance
a scale will change you life lol

kwtony

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
^^As this wise man says, the scale might be your best bet

Till then, consider snipping about 1mm off the tip of the bottle and you'll be able to put the blunt tip right into the hole of the bottles... *shrugs*

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've managed to get a blunt tip in many of my bottles, but then when stored on their side, they leaked. Be cautious of that.

When making small test batches, I used drops from the bottle, unless it's in a vial In that case, I use an eye dropper or syringe. If I'm making larger batches, rather than counting out lots of drops (and forgetting where I was) I use a scale.

VU Sponsors