Become a Patron!

Marrying 18650s that have one charge/discharge and Mod help please :)

What would you choose?

• Rx 2/3 with 'Once Used' 18650s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DNA 200 with LiPo pack - I have 2 (one on, one off)

• Other - Please comment :)

• Total voters

ellnic

Member For 4 Years
Hello :)

I'm planning on changing my hardware and really thought it would be best to ask about this... Please bare with me as this is as much a brainstorm as it is a request for help ;) I've posted this on one other forum, but I would really welcome the input of this forum also, as it has been a helpful resource for me in my vaping journey.

I've been vaping for about 14 months now using a Yihi SX Mini M Class and a Sigelei Elite Tank 2 with the Ni200 coils. I know some might sneer at the Elite Tank, but it got me into Sub Ohm. Before this, I had a brief and regrettable flutter with a Kanger Kbox and 1.6 coils that leaked badly, and then an Aspire Odyssey kit which burnt the coils and drank juice with no favourable vape in return. I finally ended up on the Yihi/Elite Tank 2 combo and it got me off the analogues and appreciating fuller clouds so I owe it some thanks, at least.

I'm now looking to change my tank (and mod) as I have outgrown the ET2. Mainly, the things that annoy me about it are the lack of availability of spare parts - O rings etc, the inability to get accessories (different drip tips, coloured tank glass etc (I really would like to personalise my kit!), the capacity (3.2ml), and I do feel that the clouds are lacking.

When I first got my Yihi, I was using Sammy 25Rs in the single 18650 config (no, I never liked the look of that weird extension tube either) and this has suited me fine, when a battery is dead I just swapped it out, then charged it in an XTAR VC4 and used again in rotation. I run the Mod in temp control mode and despite some delay in firing the coil (1-2 seconds before I get the throat hit I like) things have been good. I recently changed to Sony VTC5 batteries, which I bought from a reputable eBay seller and have noticed that these cells kick the knackers off the Sammys. I am aware that something will have to change in the battery department if I am to get where I want to be, I just don't know if it's best to run a mod with dual 18650s or if I should attempt to find a DNA that I can afford and work with the limitations of a battery pack.

I have been extremely interested in the TFV8 tank by Smok, and purchased one recently, but unless I put my Yihi in unregulated mode or add that 2nd weird battery, I am limited to 75w so it doesn't give me what I am after. I have become very fond of my face and nearby limbs, so I have only ever been interested in running Sub Ohm using a regulated mod. I know unregulated can be done safely, I'm not disputing that, but it's not something I feel comfortable with. So in terms of a mod upgrade, I have been considering either a DNA 200 device, or a Reuleaux Rx 2/3. The main points putting me off the Rx 2/3 are build quality but it does have the added bonus of being able to use 18650s... The main reasons for sticking with an 18650 device are that I have a ton of 18650s here, but some have already been used so I am totally aware that I will not be able to use these as I have been too late in marrying them. I know you can get DNA chips that use 18650s, but I don't think the wattage limitation is what I am after. I have 8 x VTC5s that have been discharged then charged again to check capacity, I was thinking that these could be used with the Rx 2/3 in pairs - would this be safe with so little usage? My logical head says that it should be fine, but this is unknown territory for me so I would welcome some advice. I love the Evolv software that comes with the DNA, that level of customisation is my kinda thing, I'm also taken in by it's excellent reputation and build quality.

I would ideally love to get a DNA 200 device, but I guess it all boils down to price. I would also want to be able to swap the LiPo out in a DNA 200 (which as I understand, not many support this easily). When I am on the go, I cannot be tethered and wait for a charge as my day to day routine just doesn't allow this. Ideally, I would buy 2 Lava Boxes... one on, one off, but I really don't have the funds for that right now. If I can find a DNA 200 that allows external charging of the LiPo pack, I have a SkyRC that I believe can be used for charging these making sure they're balanced. I also noticed, though, that the mAh capacity of some of these packs appears to be a lot less than a dual 18650 setup (especially with VTC5s) - so not sure if this might be the better option after all? Would a TFV8 push 2 x 18650 VTC5s too hard, though?

So... what would you guys recommend? Rx 2/3 in dual 18650 config with the 'once used' batteries I have? Or is this dangerous and really I'd want new 18650s for the Rx 2/3? If I am able to use these, it would be me one on, 3 off so plenty for when I'm on the go. Or should I really be considering the DNA 200? (if anyone can recommend one with an easily changeable LiPo pack) - what are the chipset quality differences like?

Thanks in advance for any and all help :)

Last edited:

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A lot of DNA200 use 18650s instead of lipos, some use 2 18650s and reach 133W like the VT133 and some use 3 18650 and reach 200W.
There is also the DNA250 (167W/250W).
For a cheaper option you might consider 200W+ Chinese chip mods like the Alien.
So you are not limited to just DNA200 lipos and Wismec 2/3.

As for the batteries they are married to each other not to the mod and can be switched from mod to mod.
If the 2 batteries are relatively new you can get another one from the same make and model to be used with the other 2 in the 2/3 for 3 battery setup.

ellnic

Member For 4 Years
That's great info, thanks. I'll take a look at that Alien chipset, and thanks for clearing up the concerns I had around the 18650s. Exactly what I was after finding out. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Alien is just an example, there are many mods to choose from.

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have the 2/3 and the 200s. I love them both and they share married batteries. I always use the 2/3 in 3 batt mode as I need the long life. I vape a TFV8 almost exclusively. I absolutely LOVE it. As far as a DNA200. I've considered one many times. I have 5 boxes that I rotate between. While I know DNA devices are supposed to be the pinnacle, I just don't see the reason for the extra expense when the 2/3 and 200S do everything I need. The Reuleaux's feel great in the hand and sit on a desk or in a car cup holder perfect. I do USB charge on mine occasionally and that works fine. I've had no issues and despite claims that it isn't balanced charging, my batteries test out as perfectly balanced. I do charge externally too. I think in the past the DNA devices had many advantages but today, these new devices do just as much and are more than enough for most people at 1/3 the cost. Also, when it comes to updates, you won't beat Wismec. They've had the easiest updates to do. I think you'd be completely satisfied with a 2/3 if you got one. Personally I would buy it a new set of batteries but that's just me. Batteries are so cheap, why not.

As far as build quality, the Reuleaux's are tanks. I've dropped mine out of a semi truck onto pavement and besides some scratches, there's no damage. They are probably the toughest mods I've owned.

My husband uses a TFV8 on an IPV6X which is dual 18650's. He vapes at 130 watts. A dual 18650 device can handle the TFV8 just fine. I will say that his IPV6X has all the same features as the Reuleaux's but is definitely WAY more efficient in battery use.

Also, batteries are married to each other, not a device. As long as you keep the same batteries together, you can safely swap them between devices.

Last edited:

ellnic

Member For 4 Years
Thanks... I do like the look of the 2/3. It's not out of the running, although it's now sitting next to a few others as well as DNA based boxes.

Do you find that the battery cover connection is ok? I've heard that the 2/3 cover is really flaky and the 510 is awful... I can get one for £35 though, so it's got price appeal.

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Mine are totally fine. I've heard of the battery cover being uneven or rattly but both of mine fit flush and don't rattle. They are a little tricky the first couple times but get easier. As far as the 510, mine are perfect. I have used Atlantis V2, TFV8 and Cleito's and all fit fine. I've also use about 10 different RBA's with no issue so my guess is maybe the first batch had bad 510's and they've since corrected the problem. Really the 2/3 is probably my favorite of all my boxes. With the price being so low, if I do break it or find something new I want later, I won't feel bad. If I invest $100+ in a DNA, I'm not going to feel like I can run out and buy something else when I want it, because let's face it, there is always going to be something newer and cooler coming out.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Mine are totally fine. I've heard of the battery cover being uneven or rattly but both of mine fit flush and don't rattle. They are a little tricky the first couple times but get easier. As far as the 510, mine are perfect. I have used Atlantis V2, TFV8 and Cleito's and all fit fine. I've also use about 10 different RBA's with no issue so my guess is maybe the first batch had bad 510's and they've since corrected the problem. Really the 2/3 is probably my favorite of all my boxes. With the price being so low, if I do break it or find something new I want later, I won't feel bad. If I invest $100+ in a DNA, I'm not going to feel like I can run out and buy something else when I want it, because let's face it, there is always going to be something newer and cooler coming out.
The 510 was never changed. all wismec mods use the same poor 510 pin. including the pricey DNA 200 one.

ellnic

Member For 4 Years
@Banshee you've pretty much summed up how I feel about the cost of the mods. I paid £120 for this Yihi only to find that it won't do what I want a year and a bit later. I'd rather spend less then upgrade more frequently.

I'm considering either the Rx 2/3 or the Alien. Can anyone comment on the battery life of the Alien?

Are both the Alien and Rx regulated? I can't seem to find any info on this. The Yihi I have now will supposedly go to 150w, but only in bypass mode. I don't want to do this. Is there a similar limitation with the Rx and Alien?

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@SirRichardRear, how is it poor? Both of mine are fine and I know several others that have had no problem. Obviously something has changed or there were some unlucky purchasers who are making a lot of noise. Considering it's one of the more popular mods out there, there must be way more good ones than bad. Just saying. I personally have never had a problem and don't know anyone that has and almost everyone I know has at least one Reuleaux.

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@ellnic The 2/3 is regulated. With the firmware upgrade it will go to 200 watts in 3 batt config and 150 watts in 2 batt config. I never go above 130 anyways but I still use it in 3 batt config because I chain vape and need the extra battery life.

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My biggest hesitation with the alien would be customer service. While I LOVE my TFV8, my first one had bad coils shipped with it. After contacting Smok several times with no response, I had to give up and eat the expense of replacing them. I'm not saying Wismec's customer service is perfect, but they do respond when I've had questions unlike Smok who has completely ignored any contacts I've attempted. $30 on a tank with bad customer service isn't as bad as $75 on a box. I had other tanks I could use in the interim, but not everyone has extra boxes laying around while trying to get service. Just my opinion.

ellnic

Member For 4 Years
@Banshee, thanks :) Points for the Rx 2/3. I probably wouldn't go above ~120w so that suits me fine. Out of interest, how much juice do you get through and how often do you change batteries? It's with your TFV8, right? I'm just trying to get a feel of how much mileage I might expect.

In the UK, the retailer is directly responsible for the product for a certain period. If the mod/tank came with any flaws or malfunctioning parts, I would be within my consumer rights to return for a full refund or request replacement parts - return postage paid by the retailer. I wouldn't even consider going to manufacturer until after 28 days had passed. (At which point I would have had the chance to test the unit fully, as allowed under long distance selling regulations). Even after that, the retailer is still required in a lot of cases to be a go-between and aid the consumer in dealing with the company. As a result, the customer service of the company bothers me less than the quality of the product... Not that I'm saying it doesn't matter at all, though.

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Personally, while I think the alien is very cool looking and I like the design, if I was going to go with that style box, I'd get the IPV6X. I have one that I use occasionally and my husband has one that he uses exclusively and it's pretty good. It's more efficient as far as battery usage. You do have to be careful with those bottom battery doors popping open. It has the same bottom battery design as the alien. Pioneer 4 you has better customer service than Smok and the IPV6X can be found for $35-$40.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
@Banshee you've pretty much summed up how I feel about the cost of the mods. I paid £120 for this Yihi only to find that it won't do what I want a year and a bit later. I'd rather spend less then upgrade more frequently.

I'm considering either the Rx 2/3 or the Alien. Can anyone comment on the battery life of the Alien?

Are both the Alien and Rx regulated? I can't seem to find any info on this. The Yihi I have now will supposedly go to 150w, but only in bypass mode. I don't want to do this. Is there a similar limitation with the Rx and Alien?

Alien all the way easily. both are regulated. battery life will be pretty much the same if using the dual batteries on the RX. The alien is better built and overall a better device IMO Alien is 220 watts RX is 200/150 in 3-2 battery mode
@SirRichardRear, how is it poor? Both of mine are fine and I know several others that have had no problem. Obviously something has changed or there were some unlucky purchasers who are making a lot of noise. Considering it's one of the more popular mods out there, there must be way more good ones than bad. Just saying. I personally have never had a problem and don't know anyone that has and almost everyone I know has at least one Reuleaux.
tons go bad. pretty much weekly here there is a thread about people with 510 issues on the RX mods. most of the more saavy people here have upgraded theirs to the fatdaddyvapes. Also the wiring used in the RX is too thin. Tons of designs flaws overall I don't really care to list them all. It's a popular device because it's cheap, provides a lot of power, and great battery life. thats a good combo to get sales and the masses won't know about the issues and at 30 bucks if it breaks throw it out and by another. It's not a mod I'd ever personally recommend to anyone. Failure rate is higher then average.
My biggest hesitation with the alien would be customer service. While I LOVE my TFV8, my first one had bad coils shipped with it. After contacting Smok several times with no response, I had to give up and eat the expense of replacing them. I'm not saying Wismec's customer service is perfect, but they do respond when I've had questions unlike Smok who has completely ignored any contacts I've attempted. $30 on a tank with bad customer service isn't as bad as $75 on a box. I had other tanks I could use in the interim, but not everyone has extra boxes laying around while trying to get service. Just my opinion.
all china companies have shit svc TBH. if you want a great mod and great customer service get a hohmtech mod. you'll pay a little more but it's worth it in the end. Thankfully i've personally not had to deal with either of them

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I go through about 30-40mls of juice per day and my batteries last about 2 days in 3 batt config. I'm vaping at anywhere from 110-130 watts depending on which juice I'm using. Super sweet juices will cake up in the TFV8 coils so keep that in mind. I use both LG HG2's and Imren batteries. I actually get a lot more life from the Imren despite everyone saying they aren't as good.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Personally, while I think the alien is very cool looking and I like the design, if I was going to go with that style box, I'd get the IPV6X. I have one that I use occasionally and my husband has one that he uses exclusively and it's pretty good. It's more efficient as far as battery usage. You do have to be careful with those bottom battery doors popping open. It has the same bottom battery design as the alien. Pioneer 4 you has better customer service than Smok and the IPV6X can be found for $35-$40.
not to be an ass but your recommending some terrible mods lol The IPV6 is a failure tons of issues as well. the IPV5 is a much better option then the IPV6 and will be cheaper. The IPV5 is a great mod though, but I think the alien is better.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I go through about 30-40mls of juice per day and my batteries last about 2 days in 3 batt config. I'm vaping at anywhere from 110-130 watts depending on which juice I'm using. Super sweet juices will cake up in the TFV8 coils so keep that in mind. I use both LG HG2's and Imren batteries. I actually get a lot more life from the Imren despite everyone saying they aren't as good.
I don't see how thats possible at all. i vape about 20-30mls a day and go through 2 pairs of LG HG2 batteries (or samsung 30Q) and I vape at about the same wattage. no way 3 batteries will last you 2 days (aka 60-80mls at 100+ watts)

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Lmao... I guess after 5 years of vaping on many different devices, I'm not savvy enough to have a legitimate opinion then. If that's what you really think, then good luck to you sir. I'm not going to cut you down. I judge by personal experience. I'm commenting only on devices that I personally own, literally have in hand at this very minute and can relate my personal experiences with. Until you've come here and personally examined my devices, I doubt that you can authoritatively state that every Wismec device is a lemon.

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
3 batteries does indeed last me 2 days at 30-40 mls of juice per day. And you are being an ass. I have no reason to lie. I have no stake in Wismec. The question was about the 2/3 and I've relayed my personal experience.

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Neither of our IPV6X's has had a single issue except for the bottom battery door popping open. Otherwise both have performed as expected. I also have the IPV5 and I frankly don't think it was any better.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Lmao... I guess after 5 years of vaping on many different devices, I'm not savvy enough to have a legitimate opinion then. If that's what you really think, then good luck to you sir. I'm not going to cut you down. I judge by personal experience. I'm commenting only on devices that I personally own, literally have in hand at this very minute and can relate my personal experiences with. Until you've come here and personally examined my devices, I doubt that you can authoritatively state that every Wismec device is a lemon.
nope never said that. don't take it the wrong way. never said you can't have an opinion or that you can't like a device, i try to put the right device in the right hands for the right person. They aren't lemons either but the 510 and wiring is a very well known issue in the vaping community. I'm happy you got good ones your happy with, just trying to look out for the best interests for the OP. Same with the fuchai 213 when people recommend it, I'm against it due to the fact TC doesn't work, it doesn't do 213 watts or even close and it's not firmware up gradable.

I hope you stick around here, the more you do the more you'll see certain devices and their track records.

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@ellnic, all I can tell you is my personal experience. Apparently others want to cut me down and be insulting, which is fine. I have had no issues with either my 200s or 2/3. I don't know anyone that has other than people who go online to complain. I'm sure no device is perfect and as we all know, China has no quality control. I know several people (yes in real life) that have Reuleaux's, both older and newer than mine and none of them have had issues.

As far as how much I vape, yes I honestly go through 30-40 mls every day and yes my 2/3 lasts me 2 days in 3 battery config. I've never used it in 2 batt config, so I honestly have no idea how that effects battery life or whether it's actually just a third less.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Neither of our IPV6X's has had a single issue except for the bottom battery door popping open. Otherwise both have performed as expected. I also have the IPV5 and I frankly don't think it was any better.
FYI they did a voluntary recall on the IPV6x. reverse battery protection doesn't work. Might want to look at sending it in

ellnic

Member For 4 Years
Thank you both for your opinions and for sharing your experiences. Very much appreciated. I haven't decided what I am going to go with yet, but it's been really informative to hear your views on all the mods we've talked about. :)

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
@ellnic, all I can tell you is my personal experience. Apparently others want to cut me down and be insulting, which is fine. I have had no issues with either my 200s or 2/3. I don't know anyone that has other than people who go online to complain. I'm sure no device is perfect and as we all know, China has no quality control. I know several people (yes in real life) that have Reuleaux's, both older and newer than mine and none of them have had issues.

As far as how much I vape, yes I honestly go through 30-40 mls every day and yes my 2/3 lasts me 2 days in 3 battery config. I've never used it in 2 batt config, so I honestly have no idea how that effects battery life or whether it's actually just a third less.
again not trying to cut you down at all. you are more then welcome to share your experience and your friends experiences, I'm just trying to help OP make a sound decision. all opinions are welcome and OP can read through them and decide for their selves. I just wanted to make OP aware so they can make an informed decision

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Thank you both for your opinions and for sharing your experiences. Very much appreciated. I haven't decided what I am going to go with yet, but it's been really informative to hear your views on all the mods we've talked about. :)

FWIW if you want a solid mod that's built well, performs excellent, and is backed by a company with great service, get a hohmwrecker G2. you can buy them new for 65 bucks or refurbished for 55. They are based out of California so you can email or call them and they actually respond and their service is great. I know it's a little more then the alien and RX and it's uglier but for performance and quality it's hard to beat that mod

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@SirRichardRear actually you did kind of say that. Your words were that more savvy users have had issues.

Stick around? Of course. You don't scare me. I'm a female truck driver. I've taken on bigger and badder than you. Lol.

I understand that people have had issues. Keep in mind that human nature is to complain and whine before compliment and praise. ALL devices have issues. There is not one single perfect device out there. Hell my custom built unregulated mod broke faster than my cheapo's. I didn't build it. Actually a well respected person in the industry built it for me and it was more junk in my opinion and a waste of a lot of money.

The OP's question was about the 2/3 and a DNA. My point is that the 2/3 isn't a bad device. Many people love it. In considering that where the OP lives, their B&M has to stand behind the product, then buying the less expensive device should be no problem and they can continue to upgrade as newer devices come out.

You are entitled to your opinion. Personally I would never buy a Smok box. While I love the TFV8, the quality of something as simple as the coils is shit. I'm always having to move the ground wires and modify the coils in order to prevent leaking. Why would I trust them with a box. Just my opinion.

ellnic

Member For 4 Years
Thanks, it's on the list. :) the appearance is kinda putting me off, but it's not a total killer.

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have heard that the hohm wrecker is a good mod, but yes it is hideous looking. I know they have their own brand of batteries too. What I'm not sure of is if it has all the options that the OP is looking for. But then I will admit I haven't looked at them too closely. They're just too ugly and look uncomfortable to hold. I've heard that they are super efficient though.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
@SirRichardRear actually you did kind of say that. Your words were that more savvy users have had issues.

Stick around? Of course. You don't scare me. I'm a female truck driver. I've taken on bigger and badder than you. Lol.

I understand that people have had issues. Keep in mind that human nature is to complain and whine before compliment and praise. ALL devices have issues. There is not one single perfect device out there. Hell my custom built unregulated mod broke faster than my cheapo's. I didn't build it. Actually a well respected person in the industry built it for me and it was more junk in my opinion and a waste of a lot of money.

The OP's question was about the 2/3 and a DNA. My point is that the 2/3 isn't a bad device. Many people love it. In considering that where the OP lives, their B&M has to stand behind the product, then buying the less expensive device should be no problem and they can continue to upgrade as newer devices come out.

You are entitled to your opinion. Personally I would never buy a Smok box. While I love the TFV8, the quality of something as simple as the coils is shit. I'm always having to move the ground wires and modify the coils in order to prevent leaking. Why would I trust them with a box. Just my opinion.
No i said more saavy users here have upgraded it, as in they were able to take apart the device change the wiring and 510 pin. Not saying you aren't saavy, just saying that the users here with the ability to do that have done it. a few others here who aren't have sent theirs in for upgrade. their is a dude on facebook that does it for like 20 bucks (IIRC) but he's a little backed up. A few people here have had him upgrade theirs.

I was never trying to scare you or anyone, I'm always extremely polite. No reason for arguments on a message board, we are all vapors we should all get along just fine ;)

I do agree all devices have their "quirks" i never said otherwise, but some tend to have more then others (mainly the RX and cubiod)

I never said the 2/3 was a bad device, I said it's not one I'd recommend. Their is a difference.

I agree with you before on the smok boxes, they didn't used to be good. the kooper is another one with 510 issues. Their late offerings have really stepped it up. the xcube ultra, h-priv, and alien are great mods. Before i was mostly YiHi,FSK, and DNA but now smok has passed YiHi for me. they've had a big leap in quality and YiHi went a little down with the IPV6. It's like Sigelei. they used to make great mods, but lately their mods have sucked and now i won't buy or recommend one until they get their shit together. I also don't like wismec's stance where using any non wismec atty voids your warranty. I'm not even joking. using the TFV8 tank voids your RX warranty. There is a lot to learn on these boards, lots of people with tons of knowledge. thats why I love it. Nobody knows it all, but as a group we sure as hell know a lot

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Thanks, it's on the list. :) the appearance is kinda putting me off, but it's not a total killer.

you won't get as good of life with it, but they make a single battery mod called the hohmslice. they aren't as rock solid as the G2 but look nicer. I just ordered one of those today. but it's only 101 watts. On the positive side it's smaller, looks nicer, and has the amazing FSK board in it.
I have heard that the hohm wrecker is a good mod, but yes it is hideous looking. I know they have their own brand of batteries too. What I'm not sure of is if it has all the options that the OP is looking for. But then I will admit I haven't looked at them too closely. They're just too ugly and look uncomfortable to hold. I've heard that they are super efficient though.
FSk boards are just as good as DNA boards as far as options go. Those are the 2 best boards in vaping. which ever is better is really preference over fact TBH

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh I will agree with a lot of what you just said. Maybe part of the miscommunication is because when I spend $35-$40 on a box, it's with the intent of it not lasting forever. I get kind of obsessed with buying new stuff so I don't spend a lot and frankly I don't think I own a mod that hasn't been dropped out of my Peterbilt. I've always had good luck with my IPV's. For some reason I still have my IPV2 even though I never use it. So far the 6X has been a tank and hasn't broken. It's not one that I regularly recommend because the battery door sucks and pops open. Really if someone is looking for longevity then maybe your suggestions are better. For price, then maybe mine. Quite honestly my Reuleaux's will probably collect dust on a shelf in a year and I will have moved on to something else. Quality and build wise, though, I really have had no issues and I need that extra battery. Plus I like how it feels in my hand. Maybe I'm just used to handling bigger things than you. Lmao! Jk

Please forgive any negative mood I'm displaying also. I was forced to go vote today. Lmao!!

ellnic

Member For 4 Years
@SirRichardRear because I'm looking to drive the TFV8, I don't think the hohm slice is what I am after, same reason why I don't want to invest in a dual 18650 DNA that's limited to 133w. The Yihi I have now is only just over a year old and in regulated mode it can't do what I want it to... Only 75w unless I use a weird extension tube thing that would prevent me from placing it down anywhere. This is why the mods that can handle ~150w and up are of interest to me. It might not be something I intend to use at this second, but it's there if I need it. I might find the TFV8 at 150w is exactly what I like. Won't know until I get there, but I won't be able to purchase another mod after this for some time. Too many bills, our family has just expanded, and Christmas round the corner... :-/

@Banshee, I feel for you. I never look forward to voting. All a farce if you ask me.... I could go on about that for hours but that's a little off topic. ;-)

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@ellnic yeah this election has been especially bad. But hey... at least one of the candidates vapes.

ellnic

Member For 4 Years
I wish our current PM did... She's already banned cat nip (yeah.. really) I wonder what will be next.

I wonder what would happen if someone banned red wine and perms.. That might get on her wick.

ellnic

Member For 4 Years
@Banshee, out of interest, do you have any experience with the RBA deck that comes with the TFV8? The ET2 doesn't have one, but I got all the kit when I had the Aspire Odyssey RBA and it never got used. I sold the odyssey but kept all the stuff for rebuilding. Thinking it might be worth a shot as the coils are about £5 each here for the TFV8. I mix my own juice so have kept that cost pretty low, wondering if I can do the same with this tank. £5 a coil is almost double what I paid for the ET2 coils (about £13.50 for 5).

Last edited:

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok now that made me laugh out loud. That's hysterical.

I haven't used the RBA deck. Mainly because it takes up juice room. Lol. Most of the people I know who use the TFV8 do use the RBA though for the very same reason you're considering it. The coils are darn expensive. My coils last me about a month of heavy use. But they are poor quality from the factory and you have to tinker with them just a little or all your juice will leak out. With the RBA, there's no leaking issues. I really should give it a try though.

ellnic

Member For 4 Years
I think I just might give it a go. :)

I obviously would rather not take up juice room, but I'm coming from a 3.2ml tank so even if I loose 1ml of the 6ml in the TFV8, it's an upgrade. I refill the ET2 about 3 times every 2 days, so I'm hoping the TFV8 will be a pleasant upgrade.

Last edited:

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think you will love it. Even with the issues with the premade coils, I still love it. It's a juice guzzler so it's good that you make your own. I really should start doing that. I go on the road for 6 weeks at a time and have to bring tons of juice with since I can't really just drive up to most stores here.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
FWIW if you want a solid mod that's built well, performs excellent, and is backed by a company with great service, get a hohmwrecker G2. you can buy them new for 65 bucks or refurbished for 55. They are based out of California so you can email or call them and they actually respond and their service is great. I know it's a little more then the alien and RX and it's uglier but for performance and quality it's hard to beat that mod
+1!

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
@SirRichardRear because I'm looking to drive the TFV8, I don't think the hohm slice is what I am after, same reason why I don't want to invest in a dual 18650 DNA that's limited to 133w. The Yihi I have now is only just over a year old and in regulated mode it can't do what I want it to... Only 75w unless I use a weird extension tube thing that would prevent me from placing it down anywhere. This is why the mods that can handle ~150w and up are of interest to me. It might not be something I intend to use at this second, but it's there if I need it. I might find the TFV8 at 150w is exactly what I like. Won't know until I get there, but I won't be able to purchase another mod after this for some time. Too many bills, our family has just expanded, and Christmas round the corner... :-/

@Banshee, I feel for you. I never look forward to voting. All a farce if you ask me.... I could go on about that for hours but that's a little off topic. ;-)

Yeah for the tfv8 you need a 150 watt mod. Slice won't cut it. G3 is a great choice but I understand it's a little pricier then your looking for. The alien runs my tfv8 great though. The tfv8 is the reason I don't use my vt133 much lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
@Banshee, out of interest, do you have any experience with the RBA deck that comes with the TFV8? The ET2 doesn't have one, but I got all the kit when I had the Aspire Odyssey RBA and it never got used. I sold the odyssey but kept all the stuff for rebuilding. Thinking it might be worth a shot as the coils are about £5 each here for the TFV8. I mix my own juice so have kept that cost pretty low, wondering if I can do the same with this tank. £5 a coil is almost double what I paid for the ET2 coils (about £13.50 for 5).

The tfv8 rba deck makes it a solid rta in my opinion. Just as good as some dedicated rta tanks

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@SirRichardRear ... damn you... now I'm thinking of buying an alien again just because I do think it looks cool as hell and you say Smok has come a long way. I'll make you a deal. I'll buy an alien and you buy a 2/3 then let's compare notes. What's one more mod in an already oversized collection?

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Oh I will agree with a lot of what you just said. Maybe part of the miscommunication is because when I spend $35-$40 on a box, it's with the intent of it not lasting forever. I get kind of obsessed with buying new stuff so I don't spend a lot and frankly I don't think I own a mod that hasn't been dropped out of my Peterbilt. I've always had good luck with my IPV's. For some reason I still have my IPV2 even though I never use it. So far the 6X has been a tank and hasn't broken. It's not one that I regularly recommend because the battery door sucks and pops open. Really if someone is looking for longevity then maybe your suggestions are better. For price, then maybe mine. Quite honestly my Reuleaux's will probably collect dust on a shelf in a year and I will have moved on to something else. Quality and build wise, though, I really have had no issues and I need that extra battery. Plus I like how it feels in my hand. Maybe I'm just used to handling bigger things than you. Lmao! Jk

Please forgive any negative mood I'm displaying also. I was forced to go vote today. Lmao!!
Lol no problem at all. :)

ellnic

Member For 4 Years
@Banshee Yeah I started making my own juice quite early on in my vaping journey all thanks to the Aspire Odyssey. That thing drank tons of the stuff then burnt it to hell so I ended up wasting about £40 of premium juice before mixing my own then finally giving in.. I'm sure my juice won't win awards, but I have a pretty good all day vape that's similar to Billow. I buy diamond mist nic, VG from whatever food company is cheapest at the time, and all my flavourings from Decedant Vapours here in the UK... Great company and they lab test all their stuff and make sure it's free of the nasties. I almost gave up on vaping at the point where that Odyssey kit rinsed and burned my premium juices. I had pretty much given up and accepted that I would die a smoker. Hence why I owe a lot to the Yihi and Elite Tank 2. They aren't perfect, but they did the impossible. I now prefer vaping to cigarettes - some friends of mine vape nic free and still smoke, but I'm a total convert now. Maybe it's my bad experiences, but I am skeptical and tentative about any new purchases so tend to approach carefully (hence the 500 questions and opening essay). In terms of juice, I tend to favour a slightly higher nicotine and to 'puff-pause-puff' rather than thrash the clouds and need a lower nic level, so mixing my own juice has given me the flexibility to experiment without bankrupting me, and keeps my monthly vaping cost to about £8. Not £100 :p if I could get a month out of one of those TFV8 coils, that would be cheaper than the 2 ET2 Ni200s I use.

@SirRichardRear yeah, DNA 133 isn't an option.. I can't afford the more premium DNA 200 and the 133 won't cut it. Imagine how I felt trying the TFV8 on a 75w Yihi :p what G3 do you mean? I'm only finding some cheapo ego thing.. Pretty sure that's not what you mean (sorry, it's late here and getting tired).

VU Sponsors