Become a Patron!

Making the change

Ryan57348

Member For 4 Years
So i'm still working on making the change from smoking to vaping and it's pretty hard . Does anyone have any tips to not smoke and to vape? Like it is such a habit at work and everything else idk what to do. Also , what has happened to everyone's body since they started vaping and stopped smoking? Good changes , bad changes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just try to keep your vape handy and grab it when you would normally grab a smoke. Most of all, don't beat yourself up over it if you don't quit the smokes all at once, just try to work your way down to quitting. You didn't become a habitual smoker overnight, and most folks don't stop overnight either. I guess it took me a couple of months after I really got serious about vaping for me to completely quit smoking, but now I'm coming up on two years smoke-free.

forza

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
^^^ What he said and I feel awesome. I can breathe now. I don't get sick nearly as often and it clears up faster. My teeth are white. My clothes and breath and house and car don't smell horrible. It's worth it. It's hard. My husband is still struggling but he keeps trying and that's all I ask. Just don't give up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Oh yeah, I did forget to tell you that the changes are awesome! I don't wake up hacking up a lung, I can taste foods way better, I don't smell like an ashtray, my sense of smell is better, and best of all I have so many choices about what I taste when vaping, it helps keep it from becoming boring.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Nothing is easy quitting smoking.

I smoked 3 packs a day for the last the ten years I smoked.

The first few days you are totally off smokes, you will feel the withdrawl/sick. Just suck the shit out of your mod when you need it.

When I tried smoking and vaping at the same time, I couldn't quit smoking. I had to decide to drop them and just vape. You may never get over wanting a smoke. I haven't. It still smells good. But you get over it where you don't go nuts when you smell a fresh lit cig.

It gets easier. Especially when you just stop smoking and do vape exclusively.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I tapered off over a month's time, by making it a game, a competition with myself: how many smokes can I replace with vaping? -- keeping a tally, and trying to make each day's total smoked less than the day before, or at least, not more than the day before. I could never have just ditched cigarettes all at once; that would have pissed me off, caused me to resent the whole thing, and just give up on vaping. By doing it slowly, it gave me time to get accustomed to the whole idea. By the time I was down to just 1 cigarette a day, for the last 3 days, it made me realize, if I could get by with just one cigarette a day, I could probably get by just fine without it -- and I was right. I also didn't throw out the last pk I was smoking from -- theyr'e still in a ziplock in the back of my freezer, where they allow me to have free will, free choice -- I *COULD* smoke 'em if I really wanted to... I just don't want to. I LIKE being a nonsmoker, and have no desire to go back to being a slave, a victim of legal extortion, to cigarettes.

Andria

caihlen

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Or...just make up your mind that you vape now. You don't smoke. That's what worked for me. Full on replacement. Smoking was not on the menu. Only vaping.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
All good advice do what works for you. I stopped right away when I wanted a cig I'd vape the craving away. Never took long.

kevinjp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh yeah, I did forget to tell you that the changes are awesome! I don't wake up hacking up a lung, I can taste foods way better, I don't smell like an ashtray, my sense of smell is better, and best of all I have so many choices about what I taste when vaping, it helps keep it from becoming boring.
What he said. Also start with a good beginners mod. Personally I started with a Ijust 2 but there are better ones.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just try to keep your vape handy and grab it when you would normally grab a smoke. Most of all, don't beat yourself up over it if you don't quit the smokes all at once,

I don't wake up hacking up a lung

I have so many choices about what I taste when vaping, it helps keep it from becoming boring.

It gets easier. Especially when you just stop smoking and do vape exclusively.

allow me to have free will, free choice -- I *COULD* smoke 'em if I really wanted to... I just don't want to. I LIKE being a nonsmoker, and have no desire to go back to being a slave, a victim of legal extortion, to cigarettes.

Or...just make up your mind that you vape now. You don't smoke. That's what worked for me. Full on replacement. Smoking was not on the menu. Only vaping.

All of this is good sound advice, proof of benefits in stopping use of tobacco products. Something I wanted to add as someone who smoked, rubbed snuff, chewed quid for over thirty five years is a bit of important information too. You're not alone. It appears that many of us have stopped tobacco product use, or are engaged in doing that.

Quitters they will say never win. Well, I can think of a few cases where that expression is pure bullshit. One case is in quitting tobacco product use, you win when you quit. You win when you quit consenting to be a victim, being in bondage too. Quit thinking you're trapped, oppressed and think you have freedom and can remain free, you'll win then as well. :) You won't be alone in that either. ;) :)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

That worked for me once I worked my way to it, but I had to make the replacement gradually, or I would have resented it. I had to really see for myself that vaping really would work, over a period of time of gradually replacing smoke breaks with near-constant vaping. Once I was fully convinced that it could really work, THEN I made the decision and stuck to it, but I could not have done it all at once. In fact, that was one of the very first things that convinced me to give it a try -- over at ECF, I actually asked, "so with vaping, I don't have to quit all at once?" and was assured that I did NOT, in fact I didn't have to quit at all, it was all strictly up to me. That was EMPOWERING! The only rules I can follow (without resentment) are the ones that *I* set.

Andria

rocketveg

Member For 4 Years
I had quit for a year and half some years ago thanks to vaping. Then my vape gear broke down on me, I had a few cigarettes, and I started smoking again. Anyway, I started vaping again recently and I finally quit smoking just this month. The vaping helped me cut my cigarette intake to 8 sticks a day and I just gradually forced myself to have less and less cigarettes. When I was down to my last two sticks, I just didn't buy anymore cigs. It hasn't been easy. I still crave cigarettes but when that happens I chain-vape until it goes away.

What has helped: 1) getting gear that works and that I can enjoy; 2) researching about vaping and trying out different set ups; 3) coil-building; 4) trying out different ejuice flavors; 5) initially, avoiding situations where I know I'll want to smoke. For ex., I haven't gone to pubs in a while. That'll change when I'm more confident that I won't get tempted. :)

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So i'm still working on making the change from smoking to vaping and it's pretty hard . Does anyone have any tips to not smoke and to vape? Like it is such a habit at work and everything else idk what to do. Also , what has happened to everyone's body since they started vaping and stopped smoking? Good changes , bad changes?

My advise on how to use Vaping to quit smoking... Is to not try to quit smoking... Just start vaping...

At least thats what worked for me.. After 40 years of Pack a day. Took 6 months from starting to vape till I noticed I was no longer smoking. I vaped and smoked at the same time that first 6 months. Only thing I did toward quitting the smoke. Was to not carry the smokes or a lighter, but I did cary the vape at all times. I felt like a smoke I vaped till I got to where I left the cihhies. then i would have a smoke. Eentually the trips to the ciggies got less and less frequent. Till one day I noticed that it had been at least a month since I bought smokes........ So I tried one... It tasted like crap.. 2 years latter I haven't smoked since.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My advise on how to use Vaping to quit smoking... Is to not try to quit smoking... Just start vaping...

At least thats what worked for me.. After 40 years of Pack a day. Took 6 months from starting to vape till I noticed I was no longer smoking. I vaped and smoked at the same time that first 6 months. Only thing I did toward quitting the smoke. Was to not carry the smokes or a lighter, but I did cary the vape at all times. I felt like a smoke I vaped till I got to where I left the cihhies. then i would have a smoke. Eentually the trips to the ciggies got less and less frequent. Till one day I noticed that it had been at least a month since I bought smokes........ So I tried one... It tasted like crap.. 2 years latter I haven't smoked since.

Yep, I have to agree. Quitting smoking wasn't even on the radar when I started vaping, it was just a happy side-effect. :D Saving money was another happy side-effect, which I'm just about as thrilled with as *finally* being free of cigarettes.

I guess it's like... if you give a lot of energy to the idea of "not smoking".... it just makes you want to smoke. Exactly as those ridiculous anti-smoking commercials with the woman with the voice-box in her throat made me want to run straight outside and smoke half a pack immediately.

Stress, force, pressure, coercion... all are antithetical to quitting smoking, since smoking is a big way of dealing with stress, force, pressure, coercion. If you just relax and let go... don't worry about it so much... have a smoke if it feels like you're gonna die if you don't. Eventually, that feeling will ease, you'll realize that you can't get much of anything from a cigarette that you can't get from a vape, except a really bad smell and constant poverty... and the cigarettes will slide right out the door.

Andria

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile

Best tip I can give, is when you are gaggin for a smoke, turn the airflow and power down, so you have to suck and inhale mouth to lung, like you do with a cigarette. Reducing power is just so you don't burn your coil when your airflow is lower. Just sit and take your "smoke break" but use the M2L vape instead of the cigarette.
And.. take 1 cigarette, wrap it in cling wrap or a baggie and put it in the freezer. Then when you are really wanting a smoke later on, you go get that and don't have to buy a whole pack. I can 99% promise you not only don't finish it, but it will be the last cigarette you ever touch. After 2 to 4 weeks vaping, cigarettes are about the most vile tasting thing you can imagine putting in your mouth. The taste lasts for hours. From that point on, every time you even THINK cigarette, you will remember that taste. I actually tasted it, or tasted the memory of it.. it was that foul. LOL I've dreamed I was smoking and woke up gagging on the taste.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
At the time I had my relapse to dual use, I hadn't had much of anything to eat or drink or vape for 4 days, in the horribly sick aftermath of an appendectomy. EVERYTHING tasted bad; cigarettes just tasted like "home." Not everyone will automatically find them horrible tasting, just because they haven't had one in a while. The one thing that I did notice, though, was how hot the smoke was, compared to vapor; it really burned my lips and tongue; not sure if that was from heat or chemicals, maybe both, but was very unpleasant. It didn't deter me, though; I relapsed for about a month, before I finally realized, I had to just put them down and really mean it, and stick to it. But it was a near thing, 10 days later, when the horrible cravings came back; thank god I had acquired some WTA, during the dual-use month, and adding the WTA to my vape completely removed the cravings, and any further compulsion to smoke.

But I do think it's a good idea to keep some around; not right out in front of you all the time, that would be torture, but maybe stuck in the freezer. Tell yourself, if it gets really really bad, I can always smoke... But do keep in mind, once you've quit, then if you start again, quitting again is easily twice as hard as it was the first time. I discovered that the hard way, and it's really all I need to know, to leave that open pk with 12 in it, in the ziplock in the freezer turning into tobaccocicles.

Andria

Carhauler71

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Congratulations on quitting. 30 year smoker and started vaping a month ago. I LOVE vaping!! I bought a carton of smokes the day before I bought my vape setup. I smoke between 3-6 cigarettes a day but vape the rest. When the carton is done then I'm done with sticks and strictly vape. My family is behind me 1000%. Wife bought me a whole cache of juice for Christmas. I have 2 tanks and different levels of nicotine depending on the tank I want to use. Didn't think I would like the fruits or cereal but they seem to be my go to juice right now.

Carhauler71

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Best tip I can give, is when you are gaggin for a smoke, turn the airflow and power down, so you have to suck and inhale mouth to lung, like you do with a cigarette. Reducing power is just so you don't burn your coil when your airflow is lower. Just sit and take your "smoke break" but use the M2L vape instead of the cigarette.
And.. take 1 cigarette, wrap it in cling wrap or a baggie and put it in the freezer. Then when you are really wanting a smoke later on, you go get that and don't have to buy a whole pack. I can 99% promise you not only don't finish it, but it will be the last cigarette you ever touch. After 2 to 4 weeks vaping, cigarettes are about the most vile tasting thing you can imagine putting in your mouth. The taste lasts for hours. From that point on, every time you even THINK cigarette, you will remember that taste. I actually tasted it, or tasted the memory of it.. it was that foul. LOL I've dreamed I was smoking and woke up gagging on the taste.
I just took your advice on reducing the airflow and lowering the wattage and it was a whole different vaping experience! I truly enjoyed it! Thanks!!

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Coil building is a great hobby for vapers. Saves you money and gives you something to do with your hands besides holding a cigarette. Takes your mind off smoking. Worst case, you really mess up, get your hands tangled in 30 feet of wire and you can't smoke anyway... can't get the lighter out of your pocket. LOL.

VU Sponsors