Become a Patron!

Maintenance on my Mech! How do I clean and maintain my Mech?

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I am new to mechs and just recently picked up my Kennedy combo. I know nothing about cleaning and maintaining my Mech combo. Materials, etc.

Help please?

Thanks!

IMG_0973.JPG

IMG_0975.JPG

Last edited:

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use vinegar on my copper parts but it would put that pretty thing in vinegar. Maybe rubbing alcohol for the threads, from positive pin on down.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, keep the threads clean. I lube my threads with a very thin coat of dielectric grease. Keep the contacts clean and grease free.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

VapingInNewYork

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I clean the threads with rubbing alcohol then put some 3-in-1 oil on them. If contacts are brass or copper, soak in white vinegar for a few minutes then wash off with water. If contacts get arcing marks I use a Pink Pearl eraser to remove them.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thank you everybody! :) I'll try the vinegar for cleaning the copper and the oil for threads (which I might have to buy) and report back with results.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you everybody! :) I'll try the vinegar for cleaning the copper and the oil for threads (which I might have to buy) and report back with results.
I never felt the need to do that lol & I've used mechs longer than regulated mods

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Never mind! I scrubbed a little harder and the grime came off. Thank you Skold!
No worries man :) it's always worked for me, vinegar will probably wear it away over time. I never wanted too risk it as my mechs are $120.00-$250.00
I baby them! They don't even leave the house. Not exactly stealthy anyway with the clouds them bad boys chuck

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
No worries man :) it's always worked for me, vinegar will probably wear it away over time. I never wanted too risk it as my mechs are $120.00-$250.00
I baby them! They don't even leave the house. Not exactly stealthy anyway with the clouds them bad boys chuck
I'm being really careful with my Mech, too. It's too nice to let anything happen to it!

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
That's a really nice mech combo you have there Emusic I'm jealous! Bet that wasn't cheap lol

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
  • Wrights Copper Cream
  • Deoxit Gold
  • Sunshine Cloth
Wrights works wonders to clean the copper areas and threads, it's not petroleum based and designed to clean Copper Kitchenware so it's safe. Then use Deoxit Gold on the threads really does wonders to protect and lube, you only need a tiny dab. Then to a sunshine cloth to finish off the polish and basic daily maintenance.

Results? Here's a few examples

ikGZvCe.jpg
Xzo7Yy5.jpg
N91hzhh.jpg
ElctBbB.jpg
ux4iSfI.jpg

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thats a tough one, beautiful.
Is it cerakote? or other type of coating?

I always just wash my mechs with Dawn. I put them in for a few in hot water and dawn, give them a scrubbing with a soft toothbrush and a firmer one on the threads.

If needed I will use a metal cleaner and soft cloth maybe once a year to reduce any minor scuffs.

Id be careful on the "camo finish" vinegar might ruin it, or remove it. Id also be careful with any chemicals on the outside.

Id concentrate on the threads if it were me, and being copper it will tend to oxidize and you will find in extreme cases that you will loose conductivity or even get arching on the switch etc.

I have a couple exotic metals, and alloys and some that are "media blasted" I dont want to hurt the beautiful finish so I keep the threads clean with alcohol and or paste , I just make sure I dont get it on the outside of tube and use Qtips or cover it with a cloth. Most of the time I just let nature do what it wants with it.

Beautiful, I wish I had more info to give you for care of special finishes. I wish I knew what to do with my "hiduron" and silica coppers, and aluminum-bronze alloys. I just keep em washed and clean the threads.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
  • Wrights Copper Cream
  • Deoxit Gold
  • Sunshine Cloth
Wrights works wonders to clean the copper areas and threads, it's not petroleum based and designed to clean Copper Kitchenware so it's safe. Then use Deoxit Gold on the threads really does wonders to protect and lube, you only need a tiny dab. Then to a sunshine cloth to finish off the polish and basic daily maintenance.

ikGZvCe.jpg
Xzo7Yy5.jpg
N91hzhh.jpg
ElctBbB.jpg
ux4iSfI.jpg
Wow! After looking at your pictures I'll definitely be buying those products. Thank you!! :)

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Wow, that mech is GORGEOUS! Some day ill get my hands on something that nice lookin...

Until then, ill make do with my regulated stuff.:xD:
The looks of the mech are what first drew me to it. Just by looking at it I already knew I wanted it. The performance is top-notch and worthy of the purchase.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thats a tough one, beautiful.
Is it cerakote? or other type of coating?

I always just wash my mechs with Dawn. I put them in for a few in hot water and dawn, give them a scrubbing with a soft toothbrush and a firmer one on the threads.

If needed I will use a metal cleaner and soft cloth maybe once a year to reduce any minor scuffs.

Id be careful on the "camo finish" vinegar might ruin it, or remove it. Id also be careful with any chemicals on the outside.

Id concentrate on the threads if it were me, and being copper it will tend to oxidize and you will find in extreme cases that you will loose conductivity or even get arching on the switch etc.

I have a couple exotic metals, and alloys and some that are "media blasted" I dont want to hurt the beautiful finish so I keep the threads clean with alcohol and or paste , I just make sure I dont get it on the outside of tube and use Qtips or cover it with a cloth. Most of the time I just let nature do what it wants with it.

Beautiful, I wish I had more info to give you for care of special finishes. I wish I knew what to do with my "hiduron" and silica coppers, and aluminum-bronze alloys. I just keep em washed and clean the threads.
Thanks! I ended up using a really mild rust remover and it did a really great job on the copper and didn't at all hurt the finish of the mech nor damage it in any way.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm thinking that Home Depot would carry those products r055co recommended? Anybody know?

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
  • Wrights Copper Cream
  • Deoxit Gold
  • Sunshine Cloth

ikGZvCe.jpg
Xzo7Yy5.jpg
N91hzhh.jpg
ElctBbB.jpg
ux4iSfI.jpg
My mechs are never that shiny!

VU Sponsors