Become a Patron!

Magic Clapton Wrapper with a simple clothespin. Nailed it!

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Brilliant! I have a ton of kanthal headed my way already and ordered some magnets this morning!

SL1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I hope this works, because making these things otherwise.. impossible for me

SL1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Where do I get those kind of magnets?

mrquackers00

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I would imagine that neodymium magnets (aka rare-earth magents) would work good here. You can pick them up at most hardware stores. I know for a fact that Home Depot stocks them. I bought a 5 or 10-pack when I was building a lab stirrer for mixing large batches of diy juice.

The only problem I think you might have with neodymiums might be controlling them. They are very strong and very brittle so if you let some slip and snap together they could have enough force to shatter each other (and fling bits of shrapnel). Just like using a dremel or any other tool though, use caution and you should stay safe.

SL1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Is there a way to do this without the magnets?

Model_A_Ford

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just got the $1 plastic Harbor Freight clamp like in the jig rig vid I posted above. I have an idea for a a spool mounty thingy, just made out of a wire coathanger and maybe incorporate the ball point pen in there as well.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Just got the $1 plastic Harbor Freight clamp like in the jig rig vid I posted above. I have an idea for a a spool mounty thingy, just made out of a wire coathanger and maybe incorporate the ball point pen in there as well.
If you are using the clamp, I would just modify it like the clothespin vid with the two holes.

You could just make a spool holder from an old fishing line spool, a carriage bolt, a few washers, a spring and a wingnut. Mount the carriage bolt through the old spool and hot glue down to a scrap piece of wood.

Walla, a Clapton jig is born.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
This post inspired me to make my own "Claptonator" I found that a detatchable key chain swivel worked better for me than the magnet. here is my setup:

camerazoom-20160127150805305-jpg.39579

Connect black swivel (top left) to wall etc. Connect primary wire to swivel. Connect primary wire and secondary wire from the Claptonator (center) to the chuck in the cordless drill. (right) then hit trigger on the drill until you are done.

The claptonator feeds the wire from the spool through a groove filed in the clamp jaws, and keeps following the primary wire until you reach the end, or run out of wire. Simples!!

Last edited:

BadLuckAndTrouble

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Damn, this makes me want to Clapton.

This stuff always reminds me of guitar string, is that by chance the origin of the name lol?

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No joke about the magnets found in hard drives, they are pretty fierce. Likely too large for this application since they're wider than a spool and a sort of kidney shape.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I make my claptons using the empty protank head method. I made a bunch of DIY bead threaders from coat hangers and wooden mushroom caps. With the drill standing upright and a wooden jig I made clamped onto the desk to hold the core wire taught, the spool dangles below and I don't have to hold it. I have the threader tight on the spool so it makes the spool difficult to spin, makes for tight consistent even wraps that don't separate out when your building the coil.
It just so happens that the hollow qtip shafts I used to make the threader fit inside the protank chimney. I've tried to make claptons holding the spool by hand with spools that have too big of a center hole that don't fit my threaders and its somewhat of a hassle and nowhere near the same result.
Bead%20Threader.jpg

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
OK. Time to fess up.

I retired my Claptonator. ( above) It worked well and was invaluable in assisting me in making Claptons, Alien wire and many other exotic sorts of wire. However, its time had come.

This thread is great, because in my opinion, vaping has become so mainstream, that a smaller and smaller number of us are engaged in using Vaping as our creative medium to express our half-baked, hare-brained crack-pot ideas as art.

How few are even curious enough to consider how Clapton wire is made, much less attempt to make it themselves? And fewer still, go as far as to conceive of a new/original/better mousetrap device to do it.

So many creative original and diverse ideas. I salute you all.

It has been said, that necessity is the Mother of Invention. I say, necessity is a Mother..

Before I continue, for the record, I'm a cheap bastard, I've made my own attys, mods, and transformed commercial ones into things I find more useful. I DIY my own juice, and am unapologetic about utilizing " junk" to accomplish this. ( No junk in my DIY juice, just hardware)

How much of a Cheap Bastard you might wonder? Judge for yourself. A year and a half ago, I posted this:

http://vapingunderground.com/thread...-for-any-other-cheap-bastards-like-me.132667/

However, I feel compelled to bring up this.

The Daedalus Avid Artisan. the best wire tool I've yet seen.

It beats the hell out of my Claptonator.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors