Become a Patron!

Madecat_Vapes Review : Hugo Vapor Ranger GT234

madecat_vapes

Member For 4 Years
Hello VU! Today I am reviewing for you the Hugo Vapor Ranger GT234! Going in a completely different direction from the Orbiter, Hugo Vapor's Ranger is quite the different beast. Very reminiscent of handheld games from my childhood, the Ranger has some interesting design elements. Does she play well, or is it game over? Read below for my evaluation.

I have used the Ranger for 3 weeks now and feel I can give a fair assessment of its quality.

This product was sent to me from Hugo Vapor for the purpose of a review.

Specs
Dimensions: 88mm x 45mm x 31mm
Max Wattage:234W
TCR/LED/Clock function
Unique Custom User Mode
2.0" IPS Screen
Resistance Range: 0.06 - 3ohm
No overhang with 26mm Tank
Die Casting Zinc-Alloy Material
Dual 18650 Batteries Box Mod
5V/2A USB Port
Nl/TI/SS Temperature Control
Firmware Upgradeable​

Current color options
1-1.jpg

Contents
Ranger GT234 Box Mod
USB Cable updating & charging
Warranty Card
Warning Card​

Pics
Ranger GT234
7Ykc0JX.jpg

Contents
HttMCVP.jpg

KWvJ2Uv.jpg

Back
HFIjNgU.jpg

Bottom
02aVbpD.jpg

Battery Tray
q2VfRwJ.jpg

Screen
mYteDGK.jpg

Wallpaper
0t1MDc3.jpg

Menu-Mode
4NErq4s.jpg

Menu-Screen
YdQUgDi.jpg

Menu-Off
KFeZRCj.jpg

twVnoAd.jpg

30mm
qfHaE88.jpg

Operation
5 click fire button on
5 click fire button to lock
Hold + and - to lock adjustment buttons
Hold fire button and - in TC mode to lock resistance
3 click menu button to enter Menu
Mode - Mode Settings/Preheat/Wattage/TCR
Puff - Current Puff/Puff Clear/Total Puff
Screen - Color Setting/Sandby Time/Brightness/Wallpaper
Off - Power Off/LED Settings/LED Color/LED Mode
Info - Board/L Battery/R Battery/Version
Clock - Day/Time/Date

Enter Menu > scroll to off > set Power Off to Yes to turn the device off...ugh...​

Ranger
Where the Orbiter was all about ergonomics and being comfortable, the Ranger is all about that SCREEN! Employing some retro design elements and a huge, beautiful color screen, the Ranger definitely stands out. If you're a child of the 90's like I am, you might find some things very nostalgic about this device. Think old handheld type game devices. While the screen is beautiful, and the performance is general good, it has a few issues. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's jump off this review and start at the best place possible: the top.

Top/510: The top of the Ranger has an oversized 510 plate with airflow ? groves cut into it. I believe there are some atty's that require airflow through the 510, so this will work for those. The positive pin is gold-plated and spring-loaded. Sort of a weird design choice is the raised area around the 510 plate. There is a bit that's higher than the rest of the mod which results in only being able to fit 26mm attys without overhang. Had it been flush with the rest of the device, 30mm attys would have no issue. Still most people won't use over 26mm atty's so it won't be an issue for all.

Buttons/LEDs/Screen/Menu: Moving down the front of the device you have your fire button, giant screen with LED strips on either side, +/- and Menu buttons, and USB charging port. I swear the configuration of the front of this looks so much like one of those oldschool handheld gaming devices. It's not so appealing to me, especially the contrast of the black body and red buttons.

The buttons all activate well with a nice clickyness to them. I love the addition of a Menu button and think most devices should have one as it helps to take away wear from the fire button.

On either side of the screen is a strip of 3 LED lights. I'm usually a fan of LED lights, but not so much here. The huge contrast between the buttons and frame is accentuated by the LEDs. Luckily, you can turn them off. If you're into LEDs, they are at least nice and bright and there are a few options for how they display.

Here's what this device is all about: the screen. The Ranger is equipped with a large, 2" color screen. The screen is nice and bright and the colors look really great. You don't have to worry about being able to read the information because this thing was made for your grandma. It is almost comical in a sense, reminding me of those old folk's remotes with the huge buttons so granddad doesn't have a stroke trying to find the volume button so he can turn the volume up to 11 for his Matlock reruns. Even the "LOCKED" message is large and over-exaggerated. Regardless of how amusing I find it, it is really nice to have the real estate to be able to display everything large and in your face.

The menu is quite easy to navigate. Utilizing the menu button and +/- to scroll through the various options. There are a nice amount of options to change on this device including screen accent color, brightness, wallpaper, and LED settings. Using the menu takes a bit to get used to since the menu button is more predominantly used than the +/- buttons, but it's not bad once you do. My biggest gripe here is that the Ranger relies more on the Menu for changing certain options rather than utilizing a few shortcuts. You're able to lock the resistance for TC without entering the menu, but that's about it. I would've liked to see at least a way to turn off the device without having the enter the menu each time, which is the biggest annoyance for me.

Battery Door/Tray: The entire back half of the device is the battery door. While the battery door is emblazoned with a large "RANGER" across the back, it's not accented so much with contrast around it. I could've done without it, but it's fine. The door is held on to the device by two large magnets at the top and two smaller ones at the bottom. On the inside of the battery door is a battery wrap warning card, which is a nice little touch. The battery tray is that same bright red that the buttons are. Even though I don't care for the style, I guess I can applaud their consistency. Battery orientation is clearly marked on the battery tray, and there are spring-loaded battery contacts on the top.

Size/Styling: The Ranger is mostly made of zinc-alloy and is pretty boxy. The zinc-alloy construction adds to the heft, but it isn't uncomfortable to hold and makes it feel like a solid device. I've touched on most of the styling already. I'm not the biggest fan of it as a box mod, but it's nice for a bit of nostalgia. It just looks like a kid's toy to me and I don't care for it.

Performance: Performance of the Ranger was good for the most part. Power mode hit really well and was quite similar to how the Orbiter hit in Power mode. There is a small amount of delay, but it's not too terrible. I used various subohm tanks, RDAs, and RTAs on the Ranger and it seemed to work consistently across the board. However, TC mode just didn't work well and I was quite surprised as the Orbiter had okay TC. This was really a step backwards for Hugo Vapor and they should definitely look into this for future devices.​

Final Thoughts
Pros

• Oversized 510 plate
  • Gold-plated, spring-loaded 510
  • fits up to 26mm without overhang
  • Clicky buttons
  • Devoted Menu button
  • LEDs can be turned off
  • Huge color screen
  • Display easy to read
  • Plenty of Customization
  • Strong magnets on battery door
  • Battery warning card
  • Clear battery orientation
  • Feels solid
  • A nice bit of nostalgia from the look
  • Power mode performance
Cons
  • If there wasn't a lip, it could've fit up to 30mm attys
  • The red buttons on black. Just not a fan
  • Don't care for the LEDs on this one
  • Information on the screen is comically oversized
  • Navigating the menu takes some getting used to
  • Wish there were more short cuts especially for shutting off the device
  • Large "RANGER" on battery door
  • I don't care for the styling
  • TC performance was not good
The Ranger has a few good things going for it: a large, color screen, devoted menu button, and good Power mode performance. Yet, however nostalgic I feel when I look at the device, it's not enough for me to like that type of styling on a vaping device. It really is the main detractor for me, although, that's really personal preference, so that's on you whether or not you like it. The looks and the bad TC performance are enough to where I'm not going to miss this device when I shelve it. If you like the looks, want a huge colorful screen, something that works well in power mode, and don't really care about TC, the Ranger will work for you.

Purchasing
  • Elementvape - $45.95
  • GearBest - $46.44
  • Fasttech - $46.89

Thank you...
...for your attention VU. I hope you all have a great rest of your weekend!

I want to give another shout out to Hugo Vapor for giving me the opportunity to provide this community with this review. If you want to check them out, you can follow them on Instagram.

Also, if you want to keep up with me, you can follow me on Instagram.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors