Become a Patron!

Made my own box mod, what do think?

fightinggoat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is my third box mod that I have made using parts from motley mods.
The first was a triple series pwm in a B Hammond box I made for myself, vapes very well.

Second was another b size box with two 18650 in series with the voltmeter integrated into the sled, with a mosfet and led switch.

This is my first g box mod, it’s quite a bit smaller than the first two and much tighter to build in.

I used 14 and 12 ga wire throughout, dual 3034 mosfets, led switch, two 18650 in series.
Voltage drop is very minimal and it hits hard. Doesn’t even get warm with a .3 ohm build, except the attie.

Looking for critiques, what can or should I do differently in future mods, also wanted to show it off as I have a few hours of work in it and I think it turned out well.

Attachments

• 891BA3B0-37A1-4C73-B4A2-B246CA08A5FC.jpeg
    891BA3B0-37A1-4C73-B4A2-B246CA08A5FC.jpeg
    770.5 KB · Views: 104
  • C8935C0A-2085-4FD8-85A7-BFF25A4838F4.jpeg
    C8935C0A-2085-4FD8-85A7-BFF25A4838F4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
  • 3299607E-0978-4A06-97EA-0E888AB8E78A.jpeg
    3299607E-0978-4A06-97EA-0E888AB8E78A.jpeg
    735.4 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

fightinggoat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Here is the second one I made for a coworker, he wanted the paracord, I didn’t care for how that part turned out but he likes it.

Attachments

• 1BC6243B-F88F-4437-A8F5-EBC1A60BF328.jpeg
    1BC6243B-F88F-4437-A8F5-EBC1A60BF328.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 73
  • 04B440D6-1F13-402D-AA77-094ABD7AADEB.jpeg
    04B440D6-1F13-402D-AA77-094ABD7AADEB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 83

fightinggoat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is my first, triple 18650 series pwm.
Think I have made progress as this one is the ugliest but still very functional and a pleasure to vape.

Attachments

• 39EBB871-24E1-4B8D-92AB-3C08D0283BF3.jpeg
    39EBB871-24E1-4B8D-92AB-3C08D0283BF3.jpeg
    867.9 KB · Views: 64
  • D62F4F56-B034-48BD-A2D8-954CDA35B79E.jpeg
    D62F4F56-B034-48BD-A2D8-954CDA35B79E.jpeg
    982.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 256221DE-396A-467B-A2FB-998C32F78CB0.jpeg
    256221DE-396A-467B-A2FB-998C32F78CB0.jpeg
    979.5 KB · Views: 70

Hype

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Very nice work my man . Love the bare wire look . you paint these yourself ? The wiring is tight , your soldering is clean , as well made as it can get . Don't worry too much about voltage drop , with short wires it's minimal and expected as with all wiring . Some haterade might be forthcoming about safety from others , but we are adults , haters and trolls are plentiful around here . You sell these ??

Last edited:

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nice mods! I'm not a mod builder so I don't understand how it can be ok to have bare wires. Could someone explain that to me please?

I think the mods would look better if you covered the wiring, switch, 510 and all the guts with something. That way when you remove the battery door the only thing exposed would be the sled, not the wires and such.

Very nice work!

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Sweet looking mods. I like them all.
The green one the most, as it shows your skill and attention to detail, clean wire lines and solder.
I like the red wrap inside the red one and would probably match the black nut and anything silver that can be seen with an artist brush.

fightinggoat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Very nice work my man . Love the bare wire look . you paint these yourself ? The wiring is tight , your soldering is clean , as well made as it can get . Don't worry too much about voltage drop , with short wires it's minimal and expected as with all wiring . Some haterade might be forthcoming about safety from others , but we are adults , haters and trolls are plentiful around here . You sell these ??
Thanks, they are going to get cleaner the more I make.

I have sold one to a coworker so far, the red one, he still uses it daily as his only mod. He wants to get another from me and I have a vape shop employee that ones one personally and more for the store.
Wouldn’t mind building some for sale, just been so busy at work that I haven’t had the time to make them.
If you had something in mind I am sure we could work something out, it would probably take me 1-2 weeks as I would have to order the parts first and then build it when my work schedule allows.

fightinggoat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nice mods! I'm not a mod builder so I don't understand how it can be ok to have bare wires. Could someone explain that to me please?

I think the mods would look better if you covered the wiring, switch, 510 and all the guts with something. That way when you remove the battery door the only thing exposed would be the sled, not the wires and such.

Very nice work!
Some like the internals covered, some don’t. I am a mechanic by trade and like to see the circuit instead of a piece of plastic.

As for the bare wires, it’s not critical they be covered unless the pos and neg could touch, it’s no different than the metal ends of the battery tabs being exposed, is something conductive bridges the gap, it will short, but not likely if basic care is taken as it is with loose batteries.

Also, if you look at that green mod again, only the negative wires are bare, the ground if you will, the positive wire going to the mosfet is still insulated, it’s the one and only white wire. The only positive wire exposed is the connection from battery to 510 pin, which is pretty common practice and is that way on most squonkers with the long metal tube being the positive pin.
Gives the mod a steampunk esque look.

Hype

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You are welcome . Please keep us posted . You do very nice work , I'm sure with time it will get better .,

Arthur-VU

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
View attachment 108336 Here isn’t a recent modification I made to my pulse squonker

Eliminated the voltage drop inherent in Vandy vapes design.
@fightinggoat

I had considered doing something similar, but by using a Switchfet v2 from ModMaker in the UK.

My idea was to have the modification be as small as possible.

Does the placement of the mosfet in your alteration interfere with the squonk bottle at all?

fightinggoat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It does very slightly, I can still put the doors on, but it has made everything just a bit tighter.

Ideally I would have done this differently to maximize space, but I only used parts I had on hand, didn’t want to order $30 worth of parts to add to a $30 mod.

A mitec or similar short switch would have allowed for more room and made the modification both easier and cleaner looking.

I like your idea of using a switchfet, might be tricky to get a button to fit the very large hole Vandy Vape used for that giant switch, but could be done with some ingenuity.

fightinggoat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Planning on building my own squonk box from scratch using a B size Hammond box, it will be a dual 18650 in series, and fit a larger squonk bottle, then I will have the voltage I need to run my bigger dual coil rdas like my goon in squonk mode.

Hype

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You know my pulse squonker met a very nasty demise because of that voltage drop !! If I only knew . Is that a 3034 mosfet ??

fightinggoat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Have you measured the difference in Vdrop before and after this modification?
No, but it is a noticeable improvement, in its stock form the pulse hit quite a bit weaker than my other single battery mechs, now it hits about the same as my authentic broadside.

twan013

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I've been thinking very hard about eliminating the cutoff switch in my pulse mod, but haven't really looked into how it could be done. Is there a wire coming from the bottom battery post to the 510 or button? I think I see it in one of these pictures but can't tell if it's originally like that or what.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

fightinggoat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've been thinking very hard about eliminating the cutoff switch in my pulse mod, but haven't really looked into how it could be done. Is there a wire coming from the bottom battery post to the 510 or button? I think I see it in one of these pictures but can't tell if it's originally like that or what.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Not a wire, but a strip of copper from the bottom to the switch.

Hype

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have seen the copper strip done on a Pulse , the guy also replaced the top contact with the same strip . I asked if it made a big difference , he said only with the right battery . I had questions but no time ....

VU Sponsors