Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
So i got an email from lightning vapes today
it contain teh usual sale stuff for juice
but it had this statement
"
Some of you may have seen the new LG HG2 batteries coming out with warnings printed directly on the wrap. Unfortunately we do not feel comfortable selling those batteries to the vaping community. That said, we have secured a number of HG2 batteries that were produced before LG started printing the warnings on the wrap. This could very well be the last batch we sell, so stock up now!"

I have heard of the warnings being printe don the label but have not seen one yet

SO can someone tell me the exact wording and why LV would n ot want to sell them?

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
"
Some of you may have seen the new LG HG2 batteries coming out with warnings printed directly on the wrap. Unfortunately we do not feel comfortable selling those batteries to the vaping community. That said, we have secured a number of HG2 batteries that were produced before LG started printing the warnings on the wrap. This could very well be the last batch we sell, so stock up now!"

I have heard of the warnings being printe don the label but have not seen one yet

SO can someone tell me the exact wording and why LV would n ot want to sell them?

Scare tactics worrying vendors and its called "covering your asses" if it has a warning, you KNOW someone will blame you for selling it.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
"

bat-lg-hg2_2__48559.1485209022.1280.1280.jpg

lg_hg2_3000mah_new.jpg

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

They couldnt be more vague, could they ? Reads like a cheap electronic device manual......
For the average person, you would not know "what" its use is supposed to actually be for , but definitely not for ecigs...

Scare tactics and definitely covering their asses. Some lawyer(S) got paid a pretty penny to come up with that one......

one more thing.... companies like LG and SONY are such a giant corporation and are worldwide, not just a battery company. All it takes is one lawsuit and they can be brought down..... Think about all the electronics that they produce.

Last edited:

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well, glad I only purchase wire from Lighting Vapes and not batteries. ;)
I also stopped buying LG HG2 batteries because the Samsung 30Q batteries are better according to Mooch.
He (Mooch) has them rated at 20A, MFG has them rated at 15A ... and they are cheaper.

image-jpeg.600623

upload_2017-3-7_15-8-38.png

upload_2017-3-7_15-8-58.png

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The Sony VTC5a's I recently purchased from liionwholesale.com had warnings on them. Just FYI.

As for the LV thing, it's just marketing. Pretty soon they will have to sell the ones with warnings, or stop selling them all together. No good reason for preferring to sell one over the other. Same battery.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
so this is all marketing from LV? battery manufacturers are only covering their asses...nothing more

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
so this is all marketing from LV? battery manufacturers are only covering their asses...nothing more
It kinda appears that way. The battery manufacturers ... LV is just not in the battery business so they are apparently also not willing to take the "risk" of selling them... However, we may get more emails later about other batteries they carry on their next order of samsung, sony, etc. telling us to "stock up now at a really low price... " :D I love marketing... ;)

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

I cant say for sure but we are talking about a BIG risk and with so many "big-badda-BOOMs" ( intentional or accidental ) and the media adding to the fuel, If I were a company like Sony, Samsung, LG etc, Id either do the label thing or cut out the whole battery thing. In the big scheme of things Im sure they have already spent many hours, many meeting with lawyers and company big wigs on the worth of the risks.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
It kinda appears that way. The battery manufacturers ... LV is just not in the battery business so they are apparently also not willing to take the "risk" of selling them... However, we may get more emails later about other batteries they carry on their next order of samsung, sony, etc. telling us to "stock up now at a really low price... " :D I love marketing... ;)

LOL, thats what I thought when I saw the email they sent their customers. Buy them before we stop carrying them, talk about scaring the customers into a buying frenzy ( money talks) This means they have a giant stock of them and dont want to be stuck with them.

And think about it, those wanting to profit out of misery, they can buy the old ones and then have an "accident" and get more fuel to their case by saying that it was known to be dangerous and still they sold them without warning me :)

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
They can't absolve themselves from liability by selling the pre-warning batts, since they clearly know(by their email) that the warnings exist. So like I said, there's no reason for it, other than marketing.

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
First they bitch about not being treated fairly by amazon and now they are doing the same thing to lg...Taking a lesson from LV...FUCK LV!!!

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
me thinks it is more about cleaning out their old stock first before selling the new ones

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If your going to get those, why not just get the VTC5a batteries? 25A and 2500mAh

And smack me silly -- but those LG HE2 batteries are not on Mooch's tested/recommended batteries.

Well, they're 20A batteries, so I don't care whose list they're not on -- when you vape at 10w/2Ω, you can be cavalier like that. ;)

I read a long time ago that VTC5's were going bye bye and that any you saw were probably counterfeit. I don't know if that's really true or not, but I just don't go there, so no worries. The LG HE2's last longer than Samsung 25Rs, by a *slim* margin. Pretty close though.

Andria

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well, they're 20A batteries, so I don't care whose list they're not on -- when you vape at 10w/2Ω, you can be cavalier like that. ;)

I read a long time ago that VTC5's were going bye bye and that any you saw were probably counterfeit. I don't know if that's really true or not, but I just don't go there, so no worries. The LG HE2's last longer than Samsung 25Rs, by a *slim* margin. Pretty close though.

Andria
There were fake VCT5's around at some point when they went out of production.
The VCT5a's are a new run. There were fake HG2's recently, also. Like most things, if it's popular enough, somebody will fake a buck off it.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
There were fake VCT5's around at some point when they went out of production.
The VCT5a's are a new run. There were fake HG2's recently, also. Like most things, if it's popular enough, somebody will fake a buck off it.

No kidding! I got burnt almost right off the bat when I got my first "real" mod, a sigelei zmax flat-top, buying AW's... which turned out to be counterfeits. I've still got 2 of those sigelei zmax's which would still be fine as backups (since I vape so conservatively, but don't care too much for tube mods anymore), but since then I discovered liionwholesale and illumn.com, so I get *true* batteries. And I figure, buying 20A batteries is just sensible; I've occasionally experienced one of my mods getting mysteriously edged up to 20-25w while riding in my purse, and didn't check it till AFTER I took a (lung-scorching) hit. 20A batteries protect me from the various "shit happens" attacks. :D

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LV is playing it smart business wise. LG protected themselves from lawsuits by idiots. Now if a vape oriented retailer such as LV sells them to individuals they could be liable for some idiot trying to blow their face off.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's what I was thinking, LV covering their own ass. If the warning is a cyoa for the battery manufacturer, it makes sense. What happens if the warning exists and LV gets caught selling them? They're breaking the warning by selling them to individuals (not battery pack or system integrators), they would be sold via e-commerce, to individuals, for e-cig use.

Literally breaking every part verbatim of the warning label. I would think LV would have their ass in a blender legally over that. At least without a warning label there's plausible deniability, with a warning right on it and all it would take is a victim to take a snap shot of that on their battery along with a receipt from LV to implicate them.

Aside from the legality of age restrictions on the law books and regulated, it would be like selling things (cigs, adult material or whatever) to underage persons. With a warning right on the item (not for sale to minors, not for sale to individuals under age 18yrs etc). No wiggle room out of that one and LV would take the heat.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's what I was thinking, LV covering their own ass. If the warning is a cyoa for the battery manufacturer, it makes sense. What happens if the warning exists and LV gets caught selling them? They're breaking the warning by selling them to individuals (not battery pack or system integrators), they would be sold via e-commerce, to individuals, for e-cig use.

Literally breaking every part verbatim of the warning label. I would think LV would have their ass in a blender legally over that. At least without a warning label there's plausible deniability, with a warning right on it and all it would take is a victim to take a snap shot of that on their battery along with a receipt from LV to implicate them.

Aside from the legality of age restrictions on the law books and regulated, it would be like selling things (cigs, adult material or whatever) to underage persons. With a warning right on the item (not for sale to minors, not for sale to individuals under age 18yrs etc). No wiggle room out of that one and LV would take the heat.
Yep but that same label will also apply to regular non vaping battery vendors. Unless they put a disclaimer on there that they are only to be used in battery pack construction or rebuilding.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Me, I am not going to worry about it.

I would say more but I need to get back to tearing the tag's off of my furniture that say not to remove under penalty of law.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm with you UncleRj, the tags don't bother me as the consumer. It's one thing for the consumer to rip the tags off, it's another for a bedding shop to do it and then sell those things to the public. That's the situation LV is in. If I were LV I'd probably take the same approach to cover my nut. It's not the end of the world if a 19 or 20yo is drinking a beer at their house, I could give a shit less (so long as they're not driving like anyone else). As a liquor store? Fuck that, I ain't selling to 20yo's. It's not worth losing the business and getting my sales license revoked because it inconvenienced someone.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I'm with you UncleRj, the tags don't bother me as the consumer. It's one thing for the consumer to rip the tags off, it's another for a bedding shop to do it and then sell those things to the public. That's the situation LV is in. If I were LV I'd probably take the same approach to cover my nut. It's not the end of the world if a 19 or 20yo is drinking a beer at their house, I could give a shit less (so long as they're not driving like anyone else). As a liquor store? Fuck that, I ain't selling to 20yo's. It's not worth losing the business and getting my sales license revoked because it inconvenienced someone.

I really don't blame them.

How many morons have set fire to their pants and burned their "Junk" because they thought it was a good idea to store a spare battery in the same pocket as their car keys and change?

XEVU

Equal Opportunity Offender
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't vape, I use 18650 batteries for my cree flashlight. *cough, cough*
=)

I'm not a feather plucker or a feather plucker's son but I'll pluck a feathered pheasant until the feather plucker comes.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't vape, I use 18650 batteries for my cree flashlight. *cough, cough*
=)

I'm not a feather plucker or a feather plucker's son but I'll pluck a feathered pheasant until the feather plucker comes.
Just curious do 18650 flashlights use flat or button tops?

XEVU

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Flat top. I really do have 3 of them so "technically" I'm not lying about that part...

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer

As far as mine is concerned, the way it is made it really makes no difference.

But for less than $10 you can get one hell of a bright flashlight!

XEVU

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
These are the lasted I've purchased and so far they run my rx2/3 and tfv8 beast at 105w for a 1.5 days between charging. They are high drain "flashlight" batteries from amazon.

8db61375d7b21aa107878cf2dfd82f65.jpg

XEVU

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
aaf0e049445be44d0f5b7b8055bf889c.jpg

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I think calling this a "marketing" issue is a bit of a misnomer.

In theory these battery manufacturers are only selling bare batteries without retail packaging to the manufacturing industry, for use in manufactured battery packs. "Bare" batteries weren't meant to be available to the public - which was a lot of the reason why the Sony distribution channels dried up at the time for e-cig vendors when Sony clamped down on their distribution channels.

None of this means we still can't get hold of what is out there, of course. It's just a stock disclaimer that if you aren't a battery pack manufacturer - like Makita - it's on your own ass using them for unintended purposes. If they test out as suitable for our purposes - no problem.

Darth Omerta

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
These are the lasted I've purchased and so far they run my rx2/3 and tfv8 beast at 105w for a 1.5 days between charging. They are high drain "flashlight" batteries from amazon.

8db61375d7b21aa107878cf2dfd82f65.jpg

Not sure where you got those cells but the specs are definitely inflated. There are currently no cells in existence with a CDR higher than 30A, and the few 30A cells that do exist have no more than 1500mAh. Those are very likely 3rd party rewraps. Id recommend sticking to the cells on Moochs recommended battery chart. If you dont intend to go above 120W then you'll be fine with some proper 20A cells from a reliable vendor.

XEVU

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not sure where you got those cells but the specs are definitely inflated. There are currently no cells in existence with a CDR higher than 30A, and the few 30A cells that do exist have no more than 1500mAh. Those are very likely 3rd party rewraps. Id recommend sticking to the cells on Moochs recommended battery chart. If you dont intend to go above 120W then you'll be fine with some proper 20A cells from a reliable vendor.
From amazon. Ya, I have Sony, Samsung, efest and a couple others. These are only reading 25.9A in my mod. They are, however, lasting for a very long time. No telling how long they last after a few charges but not bad so far.

Darth Omerta

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Thats not the rating of the cell, its more likely to be the total amps you're drawing based on the charge. (please anyone correct me if Im wrong on that, Im not familiar with mod displays that show Amps)

The concern is not whether or not they are working now, or how long they last for. The concern is that you dont know what the true CDR of your cell is and that means you have no idea as to whether or not you're within the safe limit for the batteries you're using. I wouldnt personally be comfortable not knowing the actual CDR of the batteries Im using. If I absolutely had to use an unknown battery I wouldnt be running it anywhere above 5A and it would be a temporary thing until I could get the proper cells for my intended use. FWIW, Id never use anything from eFest(absolutely rewraps and a terrible company founded on lying to the consumer), and I wouldnt trust any batteries purchased from Amazon.

XEVU

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LG hg2 are on sale at illumn for 4.99.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Some will use flat tops but most want protected button top. I have both,my good ones use button tops only, but a small magnet makes a flat top a button top. The local vape shop sells ones that will take flat tops, but you should use a protected cell in flashlights.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
From amazon. Ya, I have Sony, Samsung, efest and a couple others. These are only reading 25.9A in my mod. They are, however, lasting for a very long time. No telling how long they last after a few charges but not bad so far.

Your mod doesn't tell you what the batteries amp limits are. that's the amps the board is saying it's putting out.
I wouldn't use those personally or the efest. Stick with the sony and samsung batts.
You say you are vaping at 105 watts which in 2 battery mode would be about 14 amps from the batts or in 3 battery mode about 9.5 amps from the batts depending on the charge. the lower the charge on the batts the more amps you pull in a regulated mod.

XEVU

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your mod doesn't tell you what the batteries amp limits are. that's the amps the board is saying it's putting out.
I wouldn't use those personally or the efest. Stick with the sony and samsung batts.
You say you are vaping at 105 watts which in 2 battery mode would be about 14 amps from the batts or in 3 battery mode about 9.5 amps from the batts depending on the charge. the lower the charge on the batts the more amps you pull in a regulated mod.
I bought 11 new LG hg2 while they were on sale.
I'm giving the others to someone for flashlight batteries.

VU Sponsors