gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
Trial run...
I used a section of the skin with some imperfections to do a trial run.
I'll leave it for a few days to see how it holds up.
Other than a couple of minor mistakes I made I think it came out awesome.
952ecf27a81b8d5abf790cc301af689c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Trial run...
I used a section of the skin with some imperfections to do a trial run.
I'll leave it for a few days to see how it holds up.
Other than a couple of minor mistakes I made I think it came out awesome.
952ecf27a81b8d5abf790cc301af689c.jpg

Well done my friend. It looks very nice indeed!

Cheers,
Steve

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wingsfan I get the batteries. As you said really should use 30A but no one wants 2500mah. I get the math but that is pushing 20A if anyone vapes that high. You have to consider discharge rate, Thermal ability Etc too. They are rarely even 20 amp as rated.

Gadget that is very nice. You did a good job. See that is a real skin. Look at the difference.

I like Elephant and black leather. Those are painted, not tanned. So spilling juice on them is no problem. Spill juice on a bare hide or tanned and it should leave a spot. I think all of LV's skins have acrylic over them though.

If I had one tiny complaint there is very slight movement in my battery door up and down. That is just being Anal so I am not even bothered by it.
Otherwise I find the fit and finish much better than my Triade's. I like the way it fits in my hand too. Better than an Efusion mini which is smaller but is not rounded.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Since all my photos were wiped out by Photobucket because I refuse to pay $599 to upgrade my account. Here's a couple of pics of my Therions I resized so they can be uploaded here.

(L to R) Dark Blossom, Bush Viper, Vivarium, Grey Rat Snake
IMG_20170503_133831a.jpg
IMG_20170503_135831a.jpg
IMG_20170503_135927a.jpg
IMG_20170311_153545_zpsug7dfhtj.jpg
IMG_20170224_145827_zpsv4znu7od.jpg~original.jpg IMG_20170224_145846_zpsrzjneiqr.jpg
Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

GKG2017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
That looks bad ass! Can I ask where you bought the skin from?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
eBay, I was looking for Snakeskin and this popped up.
I did find a lot of Snakeskins but the decent ones cost as much as the mod.

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I told you Guy's they cannot be real due to the price of these exotic skins. I doubt their Carbon Fiber is real either. However, all of it is plenty convincing so it does not really matter IMO. My favorite is the Elephant. Second would be the black leather. Until you get into custom skins. I would be hesitant because I am yet to know if the paint will last. Not to mention the Mod itself. I do feel the whole package is much nicer than the Triade thus far. The Efusion Mini actually seems larger because it is not rounded. Even though the Therion is longer I find it much nicer to hold than the Triade. Although if this were a custom Mod they would fit Three batteries in this space I imagine. There is a lot of wasted space. I feel the battery sled is far superior to the Triade, as is the door. I have not ripped a wrapper and doubt I will with this. My Triades ripped cases of batteries. Rewrapped them and it riped them again.

Which is the skin that has like "flaps" for scales?

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
Had to make one for the silver 166 :)

374df78c1b55394e8f064fe1790c0f19.jpg

Last edited:

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
My secondary welcome screen
231befb441597b8215f3f33969109d60.jpg

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
How important is the update?
That's not from an update, that's a screen I made.

But personally, I feel that if there is an update it's usually am improvement or a bug fix.

I have 2, the first one alerted me of an available update the first time I hooked it up to escribe. The second one was up to date.

Johnc926

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's not from an update, that's a screen I made.

But personally, I feel that if there is an update it's usually am improvement or a bug fix.

I have 2, the first one alerted me of an available update the first time I hooked it up to escribe. The second one was up to date.

I'm trying to decide if it's needed. It works fine.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm trying to decide if it's needed. It works fine.
What firmware are you currently using? I'm running V1.2 SP5.2. I like it.

RECOMMENDED SERVICE PACK (DNA 60, 75, 200, 250)

EScribe 1.2 SP5.2
https://downloads.evolvapor.com/SetupES_1_2_SP5_2_ServicePack.exe (12MB service pack)
This service pack is minor bug fixes.

On the EScribe side:
- EScribe no longer has EEPROM Read Errors with some 1.2 SP5 devices. It can now upload to and download from them correctly. (With these devices, manually updating the firmware can still be useful to speed up uploading and downloading.)
- Help->Report Bug and Help->Send Feedback go to the Help Desk.
- TLS 1.2 is now used for secure connections if available.
- The progress bar displays correctly when the desktop theme is Windows Classic.

It also improves Production Utility:
- Production Utility now checks that the thermistor is working correctly. (You will need to be in a room warmer than 0F to use Production Utility.)
- Production Utility now shows a code identifying the firmware being loaded on, to prevent accidental loading of other firmware. Current firmware hashes are:
-- DNA 60 - 1.2 SP3 - DAC2
-- DNA 60 Small Screen - 1.2 SP3 - A103
-- DNA 75 - 2016-06-05 - 95D6
-- DNA 200 - 1.2 SP5 - 7E55
-- DNA 250 - 1.2 SP5 - F5C7
- The error dialog doesn't go behind the Production Utility window any more.

Cheers,
Steve

Johnc926

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What firmware are you currently using? I'm running V1.2 SP5.2. I like it.

RECOMMENDED SERVICE PACK (DNA 60, 75, 200, 250)

EScribe 1.2 SP5.2
https://downloads.evolvapor.com/SetupES_1_2_SP5_2_ServicePack.exe (12MB service pack)
This service pack is minor bug fixes.

On the EScribe side:
- EScribe no longer has EEPROM Read Errors with some 1.2 SP5 devices. It can now upload to and download from them correctly. (With these devices, manually updating the firmware can still be useful to speed up uploading and downloading.)
- Help->Report Bug and Help->Send Feedback go to the Help Desk.
- TLS 1.2 is now used for secure connections if available.
- The progress bar displays correctly when the desktop theme is Windows Classic.

It also improves Production Utility:
- Production Utility now checks that the thermistor is working correctly. (You will need to be in a room warmer than 0F to use Production Utility.)
- Production Utility now shows a code identifying the firmware being loaded on, to prevent accidental loading of other firmware. Current firmware hashes are:
-- DNA 60 - 1.2 SP3 - DAC2
-- DNA 60 Small Screen - 1.2 SP3 - A103
-- DNA 75 - 2016-06-05 - 95D6
-- DNA 200 - 1.2 SP5 - 7E55
-- DNA 250 - 1.2 SP5 - F5C7
- The error dialog doesn't go behind the Production Utility window any more.

Cheers,
Steve
Not sure what all that means. It works fine to me. Thanks for the help.

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Steve, I have 3 DNA devices (Lost Vape Therion 75, Triade 250, and Vapor Shark 200) all seem to be working fine. Do you still recommend that I upgrade the firmware? All have the original versions. Thanks. @Wingsfan0310

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's really up to you. I'm running V1.2 SP5.2 on all my DNA mods. I have DNA 75, 200, and 250 mods (more than I care to count :giggle:). It's the recommended version now at Evolv's site. I like it, but if you are happy with what you're using, then who am I to tell you to change :teehee:. Seriously though, I'm happy with the version I'm running. I don't have anything bad to say about it. :cheers:

Cheers,
Steve

Johnc926

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's really up to you. I'm running V1.2 SP5.2 on all my DNA mods. I have DNA 75, 200, and 250 mods (more than I care to count :giggle:). It's the recommended version now at Evolv's site. I like it, but if you are happy with what you're using, then who am I to tell you to change :teehee:. Seriously though, I'm happy with the version I'm running. I don't have anything bad to say about it. :cheers:

Cheers,
Steve
I guess I needed wanted to know what the difference is. What would I gain? Anything?

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I guess I needed wanted to know what the difference is. What would I gain? Anything?
Well, the the things that were updated are in the post. That being said, I'm not sure what firmware you are running so it could be more things than are on that list. You can hook your mod up to Escribe and click on the device monitor to see what firmware you are running (bottom right hand corner). There is an oddity though, mine says V1.2 SP5. I've downloaded the SP5.2 service pack so I assume that's what I'm running since I don't see the prompt to update.
upload_2017-8-13_20-59-16.png

Edit The last really big update(s) I remember added Temperature Dominate mode and the Material Tab. I just always updated my mods because I have a Firmware update thread so I try them out so I can tell people if I'm having issue when I update the thread.

Last edited:

VaporJag

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Is anyone having a problem with their fire button getting caught, especially when you press the lower half? My therion been shelved for a week now because of it.emailed lost vape 4 times with no reponse.seems like it's getting stuck behind the chassis ,the button is real mushy.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is anyone having a problem with their fire button getting caught, especially when you press the lower half? My therion been shelved for a week now because of it.emailed lost vape 4 times with no reponse.seems like it's getting stuck behind the chassis ,the button is real mushy.
I have 4 Therions, one is used more than the other 3 combined (about 75K puffs). I've had the button stick twice on that one. I cleaned around the button with Rubbing Alcohol and a Q-Tip/Cotton Ball and worked the button a few times to make sure there wasn't anything sticky (like dried juice). I haven't had it happen since. I'm not sure if that's because it was dirty or that I'm just being more careful when firing. It's the mod I take with me everyday.

PS I've never had it happen on the other 3.
upload_2017-8-13_21-55-6.png

Johnc926

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, the the things that were updated is in the post. That being said, I'm not sure what you are running so it could be more things than are on that list. You can hook your mod up to Escribe and click on the device monitor to see what you are running (bottom right hand corner). There is an oddity though, mine says V1.2 SP5. I've downloaded the SP5.2 service pack so I assume that's what I'm running since I don't see the prompt to update.
View attachment 89292

Edit The last really big update(s) I remember added Temperature Dominate mode and the Material Tab. I just always updated my mods because I have a Firmware update thread so I try them out so I can tell people if I'm having issue when I update the thread.
I'm using a therion dna166. I think it has a 250 chip. I'm really not sure at all.

Johnc926

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, the the things that were updated is in the post. That being said, I'm not sure what you are running so it could be more things than are on that list. You can hook your mod up to Escribe and click on the device monitor to see what you are running (bottom right hand corner). There is an oddity though, mine says V1.2 SP5. I've downloaded the SP5.2 service pack so I assume that's what I'm running since I don't see the prompt to update.
View attachment 89292

20170811_212720.jpg

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm using a therion dna166. I think it has a 250 chip. I'm really not sure at all.
The Therion 166 is using a DNA250 chip (it's 166.7 or 167 watts when rounded up when using two cells - 250 when using three - it's the same chip). Chances are it already is running the latest firmware (the mod is relatively new).

Cheers,
Steve

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There is but one minor issue. Still love this and not a big deal. The battery door is on solid, it is not about to fall off. It is not quite tight enough. I mean the grip up and down the sides. So when I hold and squeeze it it moves a tiny drop inward and then back outward when I release it. So every time I grab it I feel this. While holding it once the pressure is applied it is absolutely fine. I am afraid if I bend it in Two things might happen. It might no longer The door may no longer sit flush with the frame of the Mod. It currently sits perfectly flush. I am not sure if I should bend it a drop just by squeezing it off the Mod or not. Might leave well enough alone. Since if I have to bend it back out at all it might never be right anymore. I know this is a very minor quibble and I hardly mind. If I could improve it, great. If not it is still fine. Would you Guy's bend it a tad or leave it alone? I know people have had issues with the battery door falling off. Mine is nothing like that. So I do not know if I should count myself lucky it stays put and sits flush. Or press my luck? It hardly matters to me so maybe better to leave well enough alone before I have a problem. I could understand doing it if the door was falling off but perhaps not in this case. Plus it is only going to go a drop anyways if I do not over do it. Since the plastic frame on the Mod to the door currently only has maybe .005mm of play. Just guessing but it is hardly any. I can see myself easily making it too tight to fit on, bend it back open and things are entirely worse.

Sorry for long post about something so trivial but you can understand I do not want to trash my nearly perfect Mod. I believe it is all about QC. There might be 1 good one for every Ten bad ones. Since I seem to have finally lucked out Not sure what position to take.
Thanks

I do need to hook it up to Escribe already. Customize it and get any updates. If I am very lucky, having the blue screen I might have one of the rare screens you can change the color. If it has this the option will show up in Escribe.

Anyways, so far this thing is excellent. On par with most custom's and better looking than many of them. I doubt this is real Elephant but it may be real Carbon Fiber. Since it is much thicker than the stickers for the Efusions. I feel this is LV's nicest Mod yet. Unless you need more than 167 Watts. I do not go anywhere near 166 like most people. 250W really requires a Lipo to be safe IMO. That seems a bit much anyhow.

KGuardian

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Would you Guy's bend it a tad or leave it alone? I know people have had issues with the battery door falling off. Mine is nothing like that. So I do not know if I should count myself lucky it stays put and sits flush. Or press my luck?

I think you want someone to tell you to bend it :D I won't tell you that, but if you do then do it just very, very little and quickly as if you're scared to do it and see if it fits better.

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
Would you Guy's bend it a tad or leave it alone?
I have purchased 2 additional covers and one of mine was just a little loose, it wouldn't rattle or fall off but I would feel it move some I'm my hand.

I gently squioze it together and it's fine now. If you decide to try it, just do it a little at a time until it feels right.

Mr T

Member For 4 Years
What about the paint on the black frame, is it solid or does it wear of with usage? Is it a heavy mod to carry around in your shirt pocket?

Carmmond

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What about the paint on the black frame, is it solid or does it wear of with usage? Is it a heavy mod to carry around in your shirt pocket?
The black will wear over time.... mine has on the bottom of the unit but the rest looks great. I carry mine in my side pocket of my carpenter pants all the time. I have put it in my Carhartt shirt pockets but not long term.

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks Guy's. I honestly think maybe mine just needs some light pressure applied. I would not squeeze this. I bet once you go to much it is jacked. It would be heavy in a dress shirt but not work clothes. I mean work as in the manual type. By now my Triades would be Degloved. This still looks brand new but I count my blessings. It is not among the light Mods like an Al85 or something obviously. Probably heavier than a full Alien. There is a lot of wasted space. Someone else could fit 3 batteries I bet. As I have said, I like this better than the Triade but that is subjective.

DX9

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My black Therion the Therion writing on the top is worn and is about halfway off. Mod it perfect condition

Sent from my Galaxy S8

Last edited:

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
Mine keeps running out of juice. :)

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My tank leaks so I keep wiping that writing and it is fine. I think this is all about luck with their QC. I kept getting horrible Triades but this Therion is very nice. Who knows how long the paint will last. Go figure I asked a favor and got this below Wholesale. Paid full MSRP for all those Triades.

So I was not messing around as good as this thing is thus far. We do not really have neighbors here. Homes are 3 miles apart or so. I know some local folks. One Guy is a metal artist. He put it in a CNC vice wrapped with something specific to that tool as not to damage the item. It is programmable for force and 100 other things or so. It even compensates for the wrapper that is used. The first time he bent it .007mm. No James Bond joke needed. That was it. It is perfect. Of course I came with a case of beer in hand. People think we are just Hillbillies. I did well, now retired. He, I can guess is cleaning up with all that equipment in his huge outbuilding plus his home is very nice where we enjoyed a beer of which I had brought. You just might find very nice and competent people in rural areas. The inner city is where you will get shot for no good reason :)

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
No problemo.

Some of the responses I got when I posted them as public were hilarious though. Not kind but I always laugh that stuff off.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
I posted public by accident and it was like:
You are going to blow yourself up
When it explodes post that pic.

I didn't know for like 8 months then replied they didn't know anything and I never had a problem.

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think this is superior becaust the entire "receiver" is plastic. Like the Sigelei 75. Although the plastic is not as thick or the same quality of material afaik. Mine has stress marks in it but not cracked. My door loosened a little. To be expected since it is not very thick metal in a sharp bend. It is still much better than it was. it is not loose in the sense it would come off but moves up and down. At this point I must actually move it myself. In regular usage it remains fine. I suppose if you are lucky to get a good one this is an outstanding mod. Not even a custom offers something like this.

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
I have two 166s and am having a problem with the newer one.

The problem I have is that the newer one doesn't appear to be working in TC mode.
When used in TC mode, when hitting the fire button the screen reads, "OFF".
I have tried different coils, different tanks, and even went so far as to download the settings from my first one and install them on the newer one with no change.

My first one works great, I can take the tank from the silver (my first one) and put it in the black one (the newer ones) and it doesn't work properly in TC mode.

I have the latest service pack installed on both devices.

Any ideas?

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
Just a thought and since you didn't mention it. Have you swapped batteries?
I have, but thanks for the suggestion.

I sent in a trouble ticket to Evolve, I just thought with all the experience in here someone may have an idea.

KGuardian

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have, but thanks for the suggestion.

You're welcome

I sent in a trouble ticket to Evolve, I just thought with all the experience in here someone may have an idea.

That's probably best. It sounds like you've tried everything that could have been an issue. Only other thing that comes to mind to try would be to reinstall the firmware.

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
People seem to think Evolv never has a bad board and just these Chinese mod's fail. That is not completely true. Albeit rarely, Evolv either delivers a DOA or it malfunctions a few months later. This is in fact rare but nobody is perfect. What would help all the way around is better QC from these Chinese companies. Not just for them to try the board but everything of theirs as well. You are more likely to get bad battery contacts on a Chinese mod than a bad Evolv board. Nonetheless it does happen. I am sorry that it happened to you but rest assured Evolv will stand behind it 100%. I have never even had them ask for proof of purchase. I have bought,sold,handled hundreds of mod's. Both mainstream and custom. I have encountered 5 bad Evolv boards out of hundreds. They took care of it no problem and quickly. This is just going to happen with any mass produced item. At least they are a legit company. We are very lucky we can send to Evolv and not LV. Even LV's us based service is total BS.

I do think the black paint may be better than the silver but it is too early for me to tell.

I am sorry for your bad luck.

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
I'm happy to report that my issue wasn't with the 166 after all.

There seems to be a delayed reaction when changing tanks.

I put on an RDA from my other 166 and when I hit the fire button it automatically reads the new coil resistance and the screen reads, "OFF".
But after just one or two hits it starts reading the temp.

The same thing when I put the RDA that wasn't reading properly on the other 166. It read the temp but only for the first hit or two then it read "OFF" as well.

I pulled the coils out and put some 316 SS twisted coils in and it's all good now.

Last edited:

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do not think that is working right? It should ask new coil yes/no when you switch RDA's unless the coil is exactly the same Ohms as the last one. I have never had a DNA200/250 say "off" or take a few puffs to start working. It wil just display that message. Best to always press up/yes and it works instantly. Regardless I am glad yours still is usable even if I have never encountered that. I have quite a few mod's with the Evolv boards. Perhaps you do not have something set right in Escribe for what you are using. I don't know other than I have never experienced that. If both are doing it I bet it is some setting for the builds you are using.

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm happy to report that my issue wasn't with the 166 after all.

There seems to be a delayed reaction when changing tanks.

I put on an RDA from my other 166 and when I hit the fire button it automatically reads the new coil resistance and the screen reads, "OFF".
But after just one or two hits it starts reading the temp.

The same thing when I put the RDA that wasn't reading properly on the other 166. It read the temp but only for the first hit or two then it read "OFF" as well.

I pulled the coils out and put some 316 SS twisted coils in and it's all good now.

I'd reset the mod to defaults/factory and start again with case thermals, etc. Don't load your config, do the hard way, from scratch. Then if there is still a problem, it's really a problem.
Never seen one go to OFF, never seen a delayed reaction to a new coil.

GorGon27

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think it has been long enough to say either I got a good specimen or LV has vastly improved. Nonetheless, I like this much better than the Triades anyways for a number of reasons. It looks and operates as if I had just removed it from the box. Even though admittedly I accidently bathed it in highly acidic juice. From day one the battery terminals were just right, and remain so. All my Triades, they started out ripping wrappers and ended up not making contact. Plus all the Triades paint failed within a week on each one. This remains factory fresh. I just gave this update because I feel it has been long enough to form an opinion about it. I have I think like 5-6 Triades that look like poo and no longer function whatsoever. Also, this amazingly seems to have longer runtime. I know that should be impossible but it is my experience. If you happen to get one like mine I highly recommend this. The next step after this would certainly be a custom. They are not even always as nice until you get into over a Grand. Of course YMMV. Please do not blame me if you go get a bum Therion.Finally they did it for me. I certainly had no loyalty to them after repeated failures but I just loved this(looks) and it just happened to be a winner!

VU Sponsors