looking for tips for builds that will last longer

Cloudboss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello All, im looking for some ideas for new builds i can try

currently i do dual coils on my tohb clone. i have modified the air flow to make it better, i get a really good vape in the range of .2 and .3

one thing i have a problem with ( and modifying the airflow has helped ) is that my coils are done in a week if i vape everyday. just starts to taste like burnt cotton. i have tried different wrapping guages but the wider the wrap the less production i can get.

basically is there a super beast .25 ohm build i can do that wont fry the cotton

bwent

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
no, the only way not burn the cotton is to keep your wick wet.

That said what gauge wire are you using and what type of wick. Also what kind of device, mech or regulated. More info will let people suggest options.

pjerzy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you're just replacing the cotton I wouldn't say that's bad. I tend to do that anyways just to get fresh flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cloudboss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
no, the only way not burn the cotton is to keep your wick wet.

That said what gauge wire are you using and what type of wick. Also what kind of device, mech or regulated. More info will let people suggest options.

I have an 18650 mech mod, 26 guage kanthal and usally i use normal cotton, sometimes jap cotton

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
23 gauge coils should last you quite a while.

Can't say the same about cotton as it will burn the moment it is not properly saturated.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You will need a lot of wraps with 26g to get to 0.3~0.2 ohms. Get some around 24 to 22 g to hit those numbers and not have a 2" wide coil.

Thicker wire will retain its shape better, it may actually "last" longer than a thinner 26g too. I redo my coils after about a week of use, not that they have been tweaked out of shape but I feel fresh wire tastes better... maybe a placebo effect? Who knows.

As far as wicking material longevity, CelluCotton rayon lasts longer before getting gunked up than any kind of regular cotton I have used. Side benefits is a better job at wicking and flavor but some people love it and some people hate it. That falls into the your mileage may vary category. UncleRJ likes ramie wick, I still haven't tried it but there are other choices out there besides just regular old cotton.

Also diy juice extends the life of your wick compared to commercial juices, not sure what they put in that stuff but I will need to rewick about every other day if I vape a commercial custardy juice and I can go a week on a custardy juice I make.

For sure though, if you are targeting a 0.3 or lower build, 26g is the wrong wire to use.

Cloudboss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You will need a lot of wraps with 26g to get to 0.3~0.2 ohms. Get some around 24 to 22 g to hit those numbers and not have a 2" wide coil.

Thicker wire will retain its shape better, it may actually "last" longer than a thinner 26g too. I redo my coils after about a week of use, not that they have been tweaked out of shape but I feel fresh wire tastes better... maybe a placebo effect? Who knows.

As far as wicking material longevity, CelluCotton rayon lasts longer before getting gunked up than any kind of regular cotton I have used. Side benefits is a better job at wicking and flavor but some people love it and some people hate it. That falls into the your mileage may vary category. UncleRJ likes ramie wick, I still haven't tried it but there are other choices out there besides just regular old cotton.

Also diy juice extends the life of your wick compared to commercial juices, not sure what they put in that stuff but I will need to rewick about every other day if I vape a commercial custardy juice and I can go a week on a custardy juice I make.

For sure though, if you are targeting a 0.3 or lower build, 26g is the wrong wire to use.

ill definitely have to try the thicker wire, Thanks for the advice!

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Hmmm... you will need more wraps with 24 or 22 over 26 to reach a desired resistance. Op, get aome rayon, it lasts way longer than cotton. I used to rewick daily with cotton, now I go well over a week, and its usually just gunk on the coil, the wick is still going strong.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Totally right... you could have a 2 wrap 26g to hit 0.2 ohms compared to 7 of 22g. Backwards, but still, 26 is not for 0.2 ohm builds... or even 0.3.
1mm coil, not 2 inch coil :D

bwent

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I use 24 gauge dual coil that comes out to .3 ohms, good for a mech or a box mod. It's a good vape that doesn't chew through the battery or the juice. On a box 65 watts is my bliss.

Cloudboss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use 24 gauge dual coil that comes out to .3 ohms, good for a mech or a box mod. It's a good vape that doesn't chew through the battery or the juice. On a box 65 watts is my bliss.

How may wraps do you give that? I am guessing 2 or 3?

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
24 gauge Kanthal A1 is about 0.1 ohms per wrap on 3mm ID, i've noticed. Hope that helps. So five wraps gets you a 0.5 single coil, or 0.25 duals.

CrazyVpr

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
24 gauge Kanthal A1 is about 0.1 ohms per wrap on 3mm ID, i've noticed. Hope that helps. So five wraps gets you a 0.5 single coil, or 0.25 duals.
Kinda sorta....more like 6 wraps. JUST USE STEAM ENGINE or another coil calculator. don't guess. 10 wraps gets you .8 so it's not close enough to guess a wrap per .1
Play it safe.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Kinda sorta....more like 6 wraps. JUST USE STEAM ENGINE or another coil calculator. don't guess. 10 wraps gets you .8 so it's not close enough to guess a wrap per .1
Play it safe.
Yeah, im not guessing. This is my go-to build and it meters 0.25-0.26 every time.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
But i do say this. My 24 gauge is 0.51mm, and some places sell 0.55mm kanthal as 24 gauge as well. Just goes to prove that gauge is a stupid unit of measure.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Cloudboss , sorry to throw you off there, I was using an extreme number that you would never use as illustration... 2 wraps.
Most of my builds are 7~8 wraps to get appropriate wick coverage. I change wire to change resistance. So if my 7 wrap 25g is getting me to 0.4ohms and I want a little lower resistance I would change out to a 7 wrap 24g wire to be around 0.3 ohms. Or if I want to chuck some clouds I would move to 22g but still about the same width coil with a 7 wrap (maybe 6 since the wire is so much thicker).

But I use a coil calc to get an idea of what wire and how many wraps I will need to hit my target and then build it. Then check it on an ohms meter. It is usually very close.

Once you have built on an aty a few times you know what resistance you like, what wire and how many wraps are needed for that one and you are done with the calc (you always check it on a meter though).

CrazyVpr

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yeah, im not guessing. This is my go-to build and it meters 0.25-0.26 every time.
Sorry, the guessing was referring to cloudboss. Guessing that a 2 wrap dual 24 was .3
Main thing is to use an ohm meter. Not guess.

CDZVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@ Cloudboss ya know you can clean your coils to?

Takes the wicks out, pulse the coils until orange and then dip them under the faucet. Dip the hot coils only!!
And DO NOT HOLD THE SWITCH WHILE DIPPING UNDER WATER!!

Anyways that way works and helps save coils.....just be careful as always.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Going on 2 months (I think) with my current dual 22 gauge coils.

No need to change them every week. Cotton gets gunked up and needs to be changed at least weekly, but it depends on how you treat it. If you vape it until it's just starting to taste burnt, it stays clean longer. Key words on 'just starting', need to learn to recognize when your liquid is about gone so you can stop just before getting a dry hit. Leaving it wet with juice makes them gunk up faster (ie, leaving them soaked overnight) as the juice will naturally evaporate leaving thicker residue on the cotton and coils.

Coils will build up with residue anyway due to heating the liquid to evaporate it, a simple dry burn when changing the cotton takes care of this. I just use a metal pick or tweezers and gently scrape across them to knock off stuff when they are glowing hot.

Never tried the heat and dip method, but to me that sounds a bit iffy.
Heating then rapidly cooling = harder and more brittle material. Also known as tempering.

manson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Back to the original question, keep your wick wet. When you're ready to change flavors, pull out the wick, dry burn your coils if you don't feel like twisting new ones and rewick. I personally like my new hobby. I'm constantly twisting and wicking. So after a week of of custard gunk, out with the old in with the new.

CDZVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Going on 2 months (I think) with my current dual 22 gauge coils.

No need to change them every week. Cotton gets gunked up and needs to be changed at least weekly, but it depends on how you treat it. If you vape it until it's just starting to taste burnt, it stays clean longer. Key words on 'just starting', need to learn to recognize when your liquid is about gone so you can stop just before getting a dry hit. Leaving it wet with juice makes them gunk up faster (ie, leaving them soaked overnight) as the juice will naturally evaporate leaving thicker residue on the cotton and coils.

Coils will build up with residue anyway due to heating the liquid to evaporate it, a simple dry burn when changing the cotton takes care of this. I just use a metal pick or tweezers and gently scrape across them to knock off stuff when they are glowing hot.

Never tried the heat and dip method, but to me that sounds a bit iffy.
Heating then rapidly cooling = harder and more brittle material. Also known as tempering.

Ive had coils last well over a month and changed them just for the sake of changing them. I honestly dont notice any difference after dipping them, though I see your point.

It works though makes them brand new

tchavei

Member For 4 Years
Just sharing my experience:

Coils can last very long. I usually only change / rebuild them when I get bored or want to play making some twisted wicked one and then try to convince myself and others that the vape is 10x better.

I had my previous (before this one) last me 4 months and I only changed it because I was moving to ni200 (TC control). It was still perfectly fine.

About wicking... For me the best is definitely rayon. My current wick is over a month old and has 222ml through it. The taste is still fabulous. Not as great as the first 50ml but still better than anything else I tried before. As long as you're careful not dry hitting, you can get along for quite some time.

As stated before, a cleaner juice without sugar additives nor colorings will also help greatly.

Tony

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I replace my cotton every other day. It's cheap. When i rewick i dry fire my coils and adjust them if i need. While they're red hot i whack em under running water which removes any crud and restores them to their shiny silver glory. Making sure ONLY to wet the coils and nothing else obviously. Then i dry the atty and rewick it. Takes 10 mins and keeps my juice tasting delicious and my coils working great. And still cheaper than a pack of smokes. Life of the cotton depends on the coils themselves. As a rule i do it every other day. If the cotton breaks in the middle when i try and remove it then i know it was time. If it doesn't then i wait a day longer next time. Works well for me

VU Sponsors