jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I gave up menthol this year and always used the same menthol juice. My wife has been using that juice up since she has historically been a menthol smoker and we will be seeing the end of the stash in a couple of weeks. We finally have her smoke free entirely but she is still crutching on the menthol flavor.

I have never worked with menthol at all and was wondering if anyone had any tips/tricks and if anyone had a menthol recipe that can curb a menthol craving without it being an overly sweet ice cube?

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Start low with menthol as it can easily overpower other flavors. You can buy premade concentrates or make your own with menthol crystals added to PG. There are all kinds of recipes in ELR (e-liquid-recipes.com). Menthol and cucumber go together well for a nice summer refresher.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
you can seach for koolada in elr

Thank you. This is what I was looking for, DIY recipes that people have tried so I can eliminate some of the guess trying and get to the good stuff. Much appreciated.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
I think I mentioned this before, but I can't remember where lol. I'll put this here as a suggestion rather than focusing on the actual menthol, if that's OK.

Back in the day, I used to smoke camel crush, and as I started vaping that was the only flavor I wanted. Went through lots of commercial tobacco and menthol juices, but couldn't find anything.

I started diy, same here menthol everywhere and nothing was quite right. I hated and still hate menthol. Tried koolada, but all it does for me personally is, giving the "cooling/cold" effect with a real nasty chemical after taste. Tried w23 better cooling effect without the aftertaste. But I didn't wanted cooling, I wanted menthol, or well so I thought.

I stopped thinking or focusing on menthol and actually tried different mints, it was closer to where I wanted it, after hundreds of trial and errors I settled for creme de menthe. Yes I know not a menthol, but more of a spearmint/peppermint but in combo with a lot of other ingredients, exactly what I wanted lol.

Maybe something too keep in mind. Hope your wife stays smoke free :)

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I've used premixed Hangsen menthol in a few fruit mixes. It's not a sweet menthol. May be heavier pg than you'd want, tho. Think it's 70/30 iirc.

Ordered 2 50ml bottles of it by mistake, 24mg nic, thought I was ordering a red tobacco for my sister. Anyway when I use say 2ml in a 12ml tester along with 10ml that I've mixed, I have to add very little nic to that 12ml. Two birds with one stone.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I've used premixed Hangsen menthol in a few fruit mixes. It's not a sweet menthol. May be heavier pg than you'd want, tho. Think it's 70/30 iirc.

Ordered 2 50ml bottles of it by mistake, 24mg nic, thought I was ordering a red tobacco for my sister. Anyway when I use say 2ml in a 12ml tester along with 10ml that I've mixed, I have to add very little nic to that 12ml. Two birds with one stone.

Nice. I am going to have to get some PG. The Mrs. doesn't like all VG, she still likes the throat hit.

jambi

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Straight menthol is pretty easy. I've found FA, TFA, CAP and FW to be basically identical, all of them seem to be 10% menthol crystals in PG, so I use what's cheapest, in my case FW. 4% yields a strong, pure menthol, no accents, not sweet, just straight up clean menthol.

But plain menthol can get a bit boring after awhile. I've added FA Cucumber, Watermelon, and various other FA fruits with good results. For a little sweetness, 2 drops per 15 ml CAP Super Sweet will have the desired effect, but will also tone down the punch of the menthol. If your wife's tastes are so inclined, have her also try some of the mints. I've found FAs various mints to be the cleanest. There's also INW Eucalyptus, strong stuff! Mix with cherry for some Hall's throat lozenge goodness. :)

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Im ordering some flavors today because I like to stalk the resident mixers. Im thinking a menthol and lime, with some strawberry and rhubarb. One day I will have a recipe i make that others will vape.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Im ordering some flavors today because I like to stalk the resident mixers. Im thinking a menthol and lime, with some strawberry and rhubarb. One day I will have a recipe i make that others will vape.

Menthol and lime sounds awesome to me. Sounds like it might need salt, though...think I'm thinking...margaritas! Pity I quit drinking years ago. :cry:

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I think
Menthol and lime sounds awesome to me. Sounds like it might need salt, though...think I'm thinking...margaritas! Pity I quit drinking years ago. :cry:

The menthol will be cool, lime tart add some sweet strawberry to dull the lime and rhubarb compliments both strawberries and limes.

Thinking something like this
2% Menthol- LB
2% Wild Strawberries- INW
1% Rhubarb YC-INW
1.5% Lime- INW

VU Sponsors