Become a Patron!

Looking for ideas

Brent1670

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm new to this (like 2 months) and was looking for mentors. Looking for people who can inform me on coil ideas, new flavors, things I should avoid, ohms and meters (I don't use one or have one btw), that kinda thing. Using a penny clone with a mephisto atty. Atm I have dual parallels with 26g wire with 3wraps. Hits nice with decent clouds but I have the builders itch and my builds don't usually live longer than 2-3 days before I tear them out and try something new... Any ideas?

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That's what this site is all about. People helping people. I wouldn't expect to get all your answers in one thread though. Maybe if you narrowed it down to a more specific question. You seem to be asking about everything from flavors to ohms. Each of those and everything in between probably deserves its own thread. Good luck and happy vaping.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm new to this (like 2 months) and was looking for mentors. Looking for people who can inform me on coil ideas, new flavors, things I should avoid, ohms and meters (I don't use one or have one btw), that kinda thing. Using a penny clone with a mephisto atty. Atm I have dual parallels with 26g wire with 3wraps. Hits nice with decent clouds but I have the builders itch and my builds don't usually live longer than 2-3 days before I tear them out and try something new... Any ideas?

Dual 26 Gauge with 3 wraps? That's 1.5 wraps when divided by 2. You've got to get an Ohm Meter. I have a feeling that the build you have is really, really, really low subohm possibly dangerous to you and your battery. Here's an ohm meter for $14: http://101vape.com/meters/170-ohms-meter.html.

Gauge (AWG) Average Wire
Diameter (in.) Feet per Pound Resistance
ohms/ft. @ 68¡F
16 0.0508 159 0.324
26 0.0159 1626 3.31
27 0.0142 2040 4.15
28 0.0126 2609 5.27
29 0.0113 3226 6.55
30 0.01 4142 8.36
32 0.008 6473 13.1
33 0.0071 8217 16.6
34 0.0063 10437 21.1

You have 0.2758 Ohms resistance per inch with 26 Gauge Kanthal. Assuming you have 1" of Kanthal per coil with the legs, you get 0.1379 Ohms when divided by 2 (2 coils). If you have 3/4 inch per coil, your resistance is .103 Ohms - Dangerous territory.

At 4V you would be a 29amps and 116 watts @ .1379 Ohms. That's why it's important to get an Ohm meter when you build.

Here's an Ohm's law calculator: http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms_law_calculator.php

Vape safe and Vape smart. Welcome to the forum.

http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp check that site out. I don't know what your leg length is, but with the legs length left alone it puts your resistance at .1ohm. Unless you have a high amperage battery, 35A, it could cause the battery to vent. Even with a 35A battery you're really pushing the safety limits of your battery. Please get a multimeter, they're only like $10 online, a bit higher at your local B&M if its anything like mine.

EDIT: Looking at another of your posts it seems that you're using an Efest 18650. If its marked 35A, its a rewrapped LG HE2, and is only rated at 20A. The absolute lowest you should go on that battery is .21ohms. Though you really should leave yourself at least a 10% safety margin. I have the same battery and the lowest I'd ever go on it is .24ohms.

Last edited:

Brent1670

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
See this is what im talking about lol. I stopped in at my local shop and asked them to teach me to build coils. Dude there threw everything together so fast and then never bothered with a meter... I've just been reproducing that effect. If my atty and mod warm up to fast or the coils take to long to cool down I take them out and put something else in. I've experimented with parallels. Made a 3wire parallel but it was a pita. Messed with twisted wire and even made dual triverts ( clover? ). Back onto the meter tho im assuming this nifty little gadget has directions with it? Money really isn't an issue due to a recent raise and promotion

Brent1670

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Dual 26 Gauge with 3 wraps? That's 1.5 wraps when divided by 2. You've got to get an Ohm Meter. I have a feeling that the build you have is really, really, really low subohm possibly dangerous to you and your battery. Here's an ohm meter for $14: http://101vape.com/meters/170-ohms-meter.html.

Gauge (AWG) Average Wire
Diameter (in.) Feet per Pound Resistance
ohms/ft. @ 68¡F
16 0.0508 159 0.324
26 0.0159 1626 3.31
27 0.0142 2040 4.15
28 0.0126 2609 5.27
29 0.0113 3226 6.55
30 0.01 4142 8.36
32 0.008 6473 13.1
33 0.0071 8217 16.6
34 0.0063 10437 21.1

You have 0.2758 Ohms resistance per inch with 26 Gauge Kanthal. Assuming you have 1" of Kanthal per coil with the legs, you get 0.1379 Ohms when divided by 2 (2 coils). If you have 3/4 inch per coil, your resistance is .103 Ohms - Dangerous territory.

At 4V you would be a 29amps and 116 watts @ .1379 Ohms. That's why it's important to get an Ohm meter when you build.

Here's an Ohm's law calculator: http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms_law_calculator.php

Vape safe and Vape smart. Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for the info. I'm racking my brain to turn this into layman's terms lol was only introduced to this world within the last couple months and this is all still Latin to me. I can obviously figure out the meter (already ordered it) and the ohms law calculator and keeping the build in safe levels but terms and whatnot are still eluding me.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Remember, keep it safe, and KEEP IT FOGGY! Welcome to the Family.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thank you for the info. I'm racking my brain to turn this into layman's terms lol was only introduced to this world within the last couple months and this is all still Latin to me. I can obviously figure out the meter (already ordered it) and the ohms law calculator and keeping the build in safe levels but terms and whatnot are still eluding me.

When you build with mechs and rebuildable attys it is of paramount importance you understand Ohms Law and what your batteries can handle. Batteries that can handle 30 amp draws are needed to ensure safety. Samsung 25R 18650's are a good battery, so are the now impossible to find Sony VTC5's. Going super low sub Ohm will produce clouds, but you lose out on flavor. With Kanthal, the lower the Gauge, the thicker the wire is and it has lower resistance. Thinner Kanthal (higher resistance) heats up faster. Get some 28 Gauge Kanthal and do a 5 wrap dual coil. Don't get freaked out with all the terminology and concepts, take it slow and learn. Get a Sigelei 100W Box mod, you can build low and experiment safely. You don't need to go the ultra power route and get a 260 watt box. 100 watts is more than enough for creating fog banks.

Brent1670

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'd thought of getting the sigelei but I love my mech...

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Mechs are nice, but having control over both power variables is too. Provides many more options.

VU Sponsors