Become a Patron!

Looking for help with Cloud Chasing coils.

I've been building coils for a little longer than 8 months, but I'm pretty late on learning new coils. I've learned claptons, but lately I've been falling back to straight or twisted macros. I'm getting just about the same density and size of cloud, so I don't see why everyone goes crazy over alien's and tsuka's. Help out by posting what your first "advanced" coil build was, and whether or not the cloud production was noticable to you in comparison to straight kanthal.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Hi and welcome to VU.
First of all, the claptons, fused clapton, alien, etc etc etc coils all have 1 thing in common. Spaces in the coil to trap more ejuice which produces a better flavor. These are all flavor builds.
For clouds, you have basically 4 builds. Straight single coil (x2) So 6 wraps of 20ga kanthal dual coil.
Next you have a dual parrallel coil... 2 strands of 24 ga kanthal, 5 wraps, and dual coil.
Then you have a quad coil.. 5 wraps 24 ga kanthal x4 coils
and a kissing quad coil. 5 wraps 24ga kanthal x4 but the coils on each side share 1 post in the middle and they touch at the 2 middle ends.
Mainly it depends on how much deck space you have to work with. Rule of thumb is that the more surface area your coil has, the move cloud is produced. Cloud coils are built to be painted every time before each pull, at high wattage and high airflow. The atomizer makes a difference too. A tsunami is a flavor RDA while a mutationX V4 is a cloud RDA (18 air holes, 9 per side plus 2 pipes in the base)
When building a cloud coil, you also have to consider the limit of your mod. A 100w mod will not fire as large a coil as a 200w mod will.

Now twisted wire has only 1 advantage. It doesn't seperate while you are wrapping it. You get more surface area from a dual parallel coil, and better flavor from a 2 core fused clapton.

Other factors in cloud chasing include lung capacity, inhale and exhale technique and mouth position.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I love a simple 22gauge Ni80 View attachment 103717
I like 20ga Kanthal. Ni80 would make the resistance to low at that 20ga. (or the coil to big *needs to many watts to fire*)
Basically.. there are lots of wires and you balance out your coils accordingly. Main thing is surface area with any cloud coil and having enough power to heat the coil.

Detroit Primetime

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi and welcome to VU.
First of all, the claptons, fused clapton, alien, etc etc etc coils all have 1 thing in common. Spaces in the coil to trap more ejuice which produces a better flavor. These are all flavor builds.
For clouds, you have basically 4 builds. Straight single coil (x2) So 6 wraps of 20ga kanthal dual coil.
Next you have a dual parrallel coil... 2 strands of 24 ga kanthal, 5 wraps, and dual coil.
Then you have a quad coil.. 5 wraps 24 ga kanthal x4 coils
and a kissing quad coil. 5 wraps 24ga kanthal x4 but the coils on each side share 1 post in the middle and they touch at the 2 middle ends.
Mainly it depends on how much deck space you have to work with. Rule of thumb is that the more surface area your coil has, the move cloud is produced. Cloud coils are built to be painted every time before each pull, at high wattage and high airflow. The atomizer makes a difference too. A tsunami is a flavor RDA while a mutationX V4 is a cloud RDA (18 air holes, 9 per side plus 2 pipes in the base)
When building a cloud coil, you also have to consider the limit of your mod. A 100w mod will not fire as large a coil as a 200w mod will.

Now twisted wire has only 1 advantage. It doesn't seperate while you are wrapping it. You get more surface area from a dual parallel coil, and better flavor from a 2 core fused clapton.

Other factors in cloud chasing include lung capacity, inhale and exhale technique and mouth position.

I hope I’m not hijacking the OP thread but what type of coil would you recommend for clouds with a SMOK Prince RBA on a MAG 225?

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I hope I’m not hijacking the OP thread but what type of coil would you recommend for clouds with a SMOK Prince RBA on a MAG 225?

24G NI80 or Kanthal, Inside Diameter 2.5mm. With that RBA building super low will cause wick burning because of the size of the coils you can fit into it.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Nichrome 80 takes more power than kanthal, so for clouds, kanthal is the better choice.
What does this statement mean? Using the logic of it, a Honda uses less power than a Maserati, therefore the Honda is a better choice?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Michael H.

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The good ol days of replacing the wire in a Kanger EVOD clearomizer to a 32g micro coil and drilling the air holes and tube out....was dreamy back then.:giggle:

VU Sponsors